The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-14-2001, 09:02 AM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Doesn't differ that much from every other job I've ever had where they've tried to screw me blind.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 09:35 AM   #17
dave

Lisa -

Of course. But I seriously doubt it would ever come to that, considering how we look upon prostitution currently. We already know that forcing people into sex acts is bad. But that definitely doesn't mean that sex should be illegal "just in case".

Quote:
If someone WANTS to do it, MAYBE that's okay.
I wonder why you put the "maybe" in caps? As in "MAYBE that's okay... but probably not"? If so, I'm just curious as to how you can feel that MAYBE having sex for money is okay (but maybe restricting what someone can do with their body) but be so adamant about women's rights when it comes to abortion (shouldn't be able to tell someone what to do with their body).

Fucking for money is the same as having a maid clean your house: They provide a service, you provide them money. Yes, penetration generally isn't involved with the maid. But fundamentally, it's the same. I seriously cannot think of a good reason why prostitution is illegal. If the women wants to do it, who are we to tell her that she can't? Right, Lisa?
Old 12-14-2001, 07:14 PM   #18
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by lisa
A friend and I were discussing legal prostution one day...
You know, for some undefiniable reason I can't explain, that is absolutely the most *Lisa-esque* rationale I have ever heard. :-)

And I've heard a few. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 08:46 PM   #19
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

From Dham:
Quote:
Fucking for money is the same as having a maid clean your house: They provide a service, you provide them money.
     Um, not quite. You see regardless of if it should be legal or not there is a serious social stigma. Ever seen the movie 'Strange Days'? There's a scene where it appears that Juliet Lewis (I think...) is being raped and murdered. This chic that was a friend of a friend saw that and stated rather flatly, "She deserves it, she's a whore." I rather went ballistic, we had a major scene, not the point.

Point is, people take offense to anyone that provides such a 'service'. I don't agree nor do I know why, doesn't matter really. The stigma exists so we should acknowledge it. It's not the same, not even close.

By the by, prostitution is obviously a dangerous job. Last I heard the unemployment office couldn't demand that a high risk job was accepted. I can't give any specific code or such, maybe I'm wrong. I do feel pretty sure about this though.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:18 PM   #20
dave

You are missing my point.

Break it down. Service for money. That is what it is.

50 years ago, there was a social stigma around interracial sex. Did that make it any different from sex? No. It was still sex.

What I am saying is that the social stigma is unjust, and if people would open their fucking eyes, they would see that, at its most basic, prostitution is providing a service and getting paid for it.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:52 PM   #21
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I understood your point. Hell, I even agree with you. I just think you're oversimplifying. Today it's a major issue and it really doesn't matter if the stigma is stupid or old fashion. If you trade cash for sex alot of assholes will think you're lower than dirt for it and treat you worse. Particularly if you are a woman. I don't get it myself, but it is true. If you break it down to simple function you're ignoring the after effects recieved from others. I don't think that's legit.
     Not to sound condescending but did you read my posts? I obviously think the stigma is unjust. I even stated that I previously had a problem with someone of (ahem) a differing view point. The stigma exists, it won't go away just because we ignore it. It's not the same. Even if it should be.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:29 PM   #22
serge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1712557.stm
Old 12-15-2001, 04:33 PM   #23
dave

Aye.

Of course I read your posts. And I included the interracial thing for a reason:

If you work against it, eventually it will go away.

If we legalized prostitution now, it would seem absolutely normal in 50 years. There would be no stigma around it. Maybe with a few, but the vast majority of people would be down with it. I guess maybe I didn't explain that enough, but I figured you would catch it (and I think I was short on time, too). But that was my point there - of course there will be a problem right now. "All new truths begin as heresy." Just saying, I don't think that we should let that stop us.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:35 PM   #24
jaguar
whig

There is a brothel less than 200m from my school. It was allowed to stay because it was older than the schoool. Which was the first in the state....

Afterschool activicy - Bag clients as they come out, endless fun of redred faces.

Griff - i live in melbourne =p

and have red hair.
hmph =p

Now i have to agree iwth MaggieL, that would be a very cool sign to screw to your bedroom door.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:16 PM   #25
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

For some reason, this reminds me of an incident that happened in Philadelphia over the summer.

This storefront in Tacony (a neighborhood in NE Philadelphia) was raided over the summer. Apparently, the folks that were renting it were into sado-masochistic kinda stuff. If I recall correctly, they were charged with soliciting prostitution, but they claimed that that was not the case.

And what were those folks fronting as a storefront? A place called S & M Computers.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 09:20 PM   #26
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
50 years ago, there was a social stigma around interracial sex. Did that make it any different from sex? No. It was still sex.
There is STILL a social stigma about interracial sex. Not nearly bad as before, but bad still.

Of course, it can depend on where you live. If Rho and I lived in St. Louis, we might have been greeted with a burning cross on our lawn.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 09:47 PM   #27
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:

Fucking for money is the same as having a maid clean your house: They provide a service, you provide them money. Yes, penetration generally isn't involved with the maid. But fundamentally, it's the same.
Hey, now THERE's a cool business plan. A nice-looking lady comes to your house, cleans it, and then fucks you. It could be called the "Full Service Plan".
<br><br>It'd be great for people who didn't want to get married.
<br><br>
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 10:08 PM   #28
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by juju2112

Hey, now THERE's a cool business plan. A nice-looking lady comes to your house, cleans it, and then fucks you. It could be called the "Full Service Plan".
It'd be great for people who didn't want to get married.
It would certainly be a more honest expression of what some guys expect when they get married. :-)

All things considered, I'd say the sex should come before the housework, though.

Old 12-16-2001, 12:48 PM   #29
dave

Well syc, the world is definitely opening up. Give it some more time. Location does have a big part in it - if you lived in Carroll County, MD, you probably *would* have been greeted with a great number of burning crosses on your front lawn "Where the men are men and the sheep are scared", they say. Well. I do, anyway. God. Fucking rhymed again.

I remember that S&M Computers thing - it was an IotD a long long time ago. Or was in a backlog cleaning. That was a rather humorous story

Maggie - why do you figure the sex should come before the cleaning? The "mess" created by sex, or something else?
Old 12-16-2001, 03:15 PM   #30
MaggieL

Quote:

Maggie - why do you figure the sex should come before the cleaning? The "mess" created by sex, or something else?
Because somebody not yet worn out by housework is likely to be (and *have*) more fun in bed.