The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-29-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/29/2005: Swedish cycle/car wreck @ 155 MPH

IotD isn't about the outrageously gross, but in this case, somehow the gross bits have been removed for display. The people milling about suggest that this must have been set up for public consumption well after the fact. No blood, no bodies but a clear example of what happens when a bike, going 155, hits the side of a slow-moving car. From the link:

- Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (for the U.S. folks, that’s 155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider’s reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn’t sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes.

- The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 3m (10 feet) from where the collision took place.

- All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly.

via here
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I always think of the clowns on these bikes as suicidal, but it looks like they're murderous in the right situation.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

omg

This is still horrifying.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My old high school's SADD does a similar display for prom week. They don't get the motorcycle, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
lawman
unerringly questioning

Not entirely sure how they removed the bodies and 'tidied' it up, and managed to get the bike back inside - probably don't want to know. What a horrible job that would be.. and who would do it?

motorcycle rider myself - and Griff don't get to high and mighty about bikes (okok, this guy was a murdering clown...but...), as the price of gas goes up... every motorized two wheeled vehicle will see an increase in ridership - easier to park too! and traffic jams? who cares on a bike!
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman
Not entirely sure how they removed the bodies and 'tidied' it up, and managed to get the bike back inside - probably don't want to know. What a horrible job that would be.. and who would do it?
If you look closely at some of the pics, the car appears to have been cut up, prbly by the emergency services on the scene (jaw of life, cutting impact hammer, etc.). You take to top of the car off, pull the cycle out, drain the bodies out, and let the bio-cleanup guys handle the rest. I agree though, what a suck-ass job that would be pull these guys out of the car. Hork!
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman
motorcycle rider myself - and Griff don't get to high and mighty about bikes (okok, this guy was a murdering clown...but...), as the price of gas goes up... every motorized two wheeled vehicle will see an increase in ridership - easier to park too! and traffic jams? who cares on a bike!
I love bikes. It's the 100 mph speed differential which is not pleasing to me.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I suspect the rider entered the car through the rear side window.
Bikes are wonderful....it's the deteriorating pavement, stupid drivers and deer that made me give it up.

Well, my increasingly longer recovery periods had an influence too.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
Izanagi
I am not young enough to know everything

Dumb Mother Fu$%er!!! (I really really really hate stupid drivers)

It's early morning here in Tokyo and I was just readying myself to ride my bike (Bicycle) to work when I checked IotD. Anyone who has been to Tokyo knows how much nerve it takes to ride in Tokyo traffic, after seeing these photos I've just lost my nerve!

I think I will take the train today!

Albert Einstein

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

Douglas Adams.

Last edited by Izanagi; 08-29-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Izanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I could swear we saw this a while back....
Bad scene for us. Even worse for the victims.
Am I the only one who remembers this ... or is it dejavu?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:42 PM   #11
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Thanks BigV.. I feel semi-sane again.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #12
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

its in the what the @#$% thread
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izanagi
I think I will take the train today!
Didn't one of those crash somewhat recently?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:00 AM   #14
chrisinhouston
Professor

Actually the VW seems to have held up rather well considering the impact and rolling over. The fact that it could comfortably hold 3 people and the motorcycle is a testement to the practacality of smaller fuel effficient cars vs big SUVs! The Big 3 should take note!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:46 AM   #15
chronos
Dry Nurse

I would point out to the people who assume the motorcyclist is at fault that the original post does not give enough information to make that case. I'm not a motorcycle guy (too much of a pansy) but I know a lot of people who are and typically bike accidents are due to drivers not seeing the biker and taking them out.

There are certainly a ton of idiot cyclist out there but I'm not sure if, as a group, it's fair to say they're worse than drivers.

This picture reminds me of what they tell you when driving in Europe vs. the US. "There are a lot fewer traffic accidents in Europe but a lot more traffic related deaths". Basically, you're pretty much dead if you get in an accident there. That's why their drivers are so well behaved. It's freaky to watch people move out of the way of faster moving vehicles and never hover in the left most lane. Everyone is so polite and they follow the rules. Interestingly enough, hand gestures while driving are illegal in germany and can get you arrested.
chronos is offline   Reply With Quote