henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"somehow she pulls it off"

vicious imps can be alluring: succubi
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #62
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

WTF it's almost like you people WANT to be torn apart limb from limb by some dude wielding nothing but a garage door frame and genius use of ratchet tie-downs and straps.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #63
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Clod talks about Trump. We talk about Clod. You talk about us.

To each his own.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #64
henry quirk

I do like me a bit of the grindhouse, yeah.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #65
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I convinced the Russians and their buddies in former Soviet states, fucked with our election in favor of trump because they wanted to deal with him rather than butt heads with Hillary. It was my understanding Mueller was investigating whether they had or had not, done exactly that.

So far all I'm hearing is someone who has seen the report says it doesn't prove Trump made a deal with Putin to make it happen. Isn't that a red herring? Aren't we missing the point of election interference and working to prevent it in the Future?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #66
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If there's a continuing investigation into that, they wouldn't be free to discuss it. It wouldn't be prudent.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #67
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Aren't we missing the point of election interference and working to prevent it in the Future?
Some election interference is not illegal. What is illegal collusion does not address other collusion.

We know the Russians got the president they wanted. And that so many Trump officials repeatedly tried to obstruct justice.

Report suggests Trump tried to obstruct justice. Unfortunately Giuliani is not Butterfield.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #68
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
WTF it's almost like you people WANT to be torn apart limb from limb by some dude wielding nothing but a garage door frame and genius use of ratchet tie-downs and straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I convinced the Russians and their buddies in former Soviet states, fucked with our election in favor of trump because they wanted to deal with him rather than butt heads with Hillary. It was my understanding Mueller was investigating whether they had or had not, done exactly that.
It's a known fact that the Russians fucked with our election in favor of Trump. It's quite reasonable to assume that they'd choose someone they preferred over someone they didn't, whatever their logic for that preference might be. The Mueller investigation wasn't questioning the interference; it was only asking whether Trump had knowingly and actively participated in/encouraged the interference at the time.

According to Barr (the Attorney General just recently appointed by Trump, who had already said before his appointment that he thought the investigation was partisan and unnecessary), Mueller says there's no evidence of said participation/encouragement. Also according to Barr, Mueller has presented all the evidence he has that Trump potentially "obstructed justice" by trying to stop the various investigations once they had begun. Mueller left the question of whether the evidence rises to the level of a crime to Congress, which is what he was supposed to do. Barr has decided, and announced, that it doesn't.

Congress hasn't seen the evidence, and neither have we, because Mitch McConnell is currently blocking the report from becoming public.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #69
henry quirk

"the Russians...fucked with our election"

How?

That is: what did Russians do to hack, interfere with, subvert, or redirect the 50 elections, the tabulation of results, the presentation of results.

And -- please -- no links, no citations: just tell me, in your own words, what the Russians did to futz things up.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Some ads were political. Others just wanted to sow discord. Amplifying hate was the whole point of the ads. I don't understand why everyone doesn't see this.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/10/ru...nce-full-list/

Interesting to see there were anti-Trump ads in the set they bought. That doesn't fit our narrative. They would do things like place ads for both a pro-Trump rally and an anti-Trump rally at the same time. Why?

Just think. You want to create a campaign to sow discord. You buy 3500 ads. You know political ads work best to sow discord, so that's what you buy. It hardly matters which side. PICK THE MORE DIVISIVE SIDE.

Then, as a direct result of your work, the US press proceeds to fly into a panic, and for two years, uses every narrative possible to discredit the Presidency.

What a wild success. That is money well spent. Mission fucking accomplished.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #71
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk
That is: what did Russians do to hack, interfere with, subvert, or redirect the 50 elections, the tabulation of results, the presentation of results.

And -- please -- no links, no citations: just tell me, in your own words, what the Russians did to futz things up.
The Russians used targeted social media to manipulate the emotions of the populace and convince them of lies, which affected their voting decisions. They created false narratives and movements such as "pizzagate" and the supposed "secession of Texas" which caused people to behave differently than they would have when armed with facts.

They also manipulated early online polling results during the Republican primaries to help ensure he was the nominee. People are herd animals, and it's been demonstrated time and again that people in later-primary states are influenced by the results of early-primary states.

I don't think they wanted Trump, necessarily, which is why I believe it's entirely possible that Trump was too dumb to realize that they were helping him, or that such a thing might be illegal. I think Putin wanted chaos and infighting to destabilize America as a whole. He got it, and continues to get it, and will for a long time to come.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #72
henry quirk

"The Russians used targeted social media to manipulate the emotions of the populace and convince them of lies, which affected their voting decisions. They created false narratives and movements such as "pizzagate" and the supposed "secession of Texas" which caused people to behave differently than they would have when armed with facts."

In other words: they did what all advertisers and sellers do, what all governments and politicians do, what all 'journalists' (as opposed to 'reporters') do, what all men do when they want pussy, what all women do when they give the pussy up.

meh...I thought it was sumthin' bigger, more coercive, but instead: it's the same old shit (sellin' and buyin' [hence: buyer beware ]).

#

"They also manipulated early online polling results during the Republican primaries to help ensure he was the nominee. People are herd animals, and it's been demonstrated time and again that people in later-primary states are influenced by the results of early-primary states."

Marketing and propaganda, movin' the tribe: nuthin' new.

#

"I don't think they wanted Trump, necessarily, which is why I believe it's entirely possible that Trump was too dumb to realize that they were helping him, or that such a thing might be illegal. I think Putin wanted chaos and infighting to destabilize America as a whole. He got it, and continues to get it, and will for a long time to come."

He didn't want Trump: he just didn't want Clinton.

As for 'destabilizing': for the past two years, the culprits have been domestic, not Russian.

As for Trump 'dumbness': He's the prez, he ain't goin' to jail, his enemies are on the ropes, and things just keep gettin' better overall...yeah, he's a moron.

#

So, the great worry about election interference is just falderol about features of human interaction that've been with us since before we fell out of the trees and that will be with us till extinction: gullibility and opportunism.

The solution is simple: don't take 'candy' from strangers and before panicking about a falllin' sky; go outside and see for yourself.

Much ado 'bout nuthin'...

Last edited by henry quirk; 03-27-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #73
henry quirk

"the US press proceeds to fly into a panic"

Well, I think there was far more 'calculation' there than 'panic'.

Either way (calculation, panic): tell me why I should take anything *they say with less than a chunk of salt?

*and by 'they' I mean ALL of 'em...no exceptions
Old 03-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Onion...
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #75
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
In an ape suit.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote