The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #2101
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I got the impression Carruthers wanted to be there in case it did happen, rather than Trying to prevent any possibility. Were that the case he could never go outside the house, not even to fetch the mail, or photograph a crooked tree.
However, he's a grown man and has to make his own decisions.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #2102
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

They have ups and downs in their capabilities throughout the day. There's even a term for those who do substantially worse during the evenings - sundowners. Letting their Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) go unmonitored for any part of the day is always a calculated risk. While those doing the watching have to make time for their own ADLs, a dog can really complicate matters if it doesn't adjust to everyone's schedules. Maybe get a robo-dog, like K9. Program it to help with alarms and reminders.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #2103
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Goddamn fig trees in the backyard are dropping 4-5 figs an hour. Goddamn dog keeps eating them. Goddamn dog's stomach keeps puking them back up. Goddamn dog keeps eating its own vomit.

I try to go out there and pick up the new figs every time the goddamn dog goes out to pee. But the goddamn dog doesn't like this new pattern and is now peeing and pooping in the house all the time instead.

Goddamn fig trees.
Update: we have now purchased 50 feet of plastic garden netting and 15 stomp-down fence posts, and have completely walled off the portion of the yard beneath the fig trees. The dogs and the fig trees can all go fuck themselves.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #2104
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Boing Boing - excuse level weak

What kind of trouble that couldn't wait 20 minutes till you get back, and if by some strange reason he did that, he'd sure as hell learn to not pull that shit until you got back. Respect is a two way street.
Head injury from a fall. Any bleeding injury from a fall. punctured lung from a fall..... Carruthers can be pretty sure his dad is ok while he grocery shops, because dad is sitting reading the morning papers. After that, all bets are off.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #2105
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
… The dogs and the fig trees can all go fuck themselves.
A doggone good figure of speech.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #2106
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Head injury from a fall. Any bleeding injury from a fall. punctured lung from a fall..... Carruthers can be pretty sure his dad is ok while he grocery shops, because dad is sitting reading the morning papers. After that, all bets are off.
Yep. That's what got Pete's step-Dad. Carruthers has a lot on his plate. Pete's step-Dad had his mood supported by a new dog but whether or not said dog tripped him in his night wanderings is up for debate.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #2107
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Yep. That's what got Pete's step-Dad. Carruthers has a lot on his plate. Pete's step-Dad had his mood supported by a new dog but whether or not said dog tripped him in his night wanderings is up for debate.
It might be worth relating the following.

When Dad gets changed, or needs somewhere convenient to sort out his post, he'll perch on the edge of the bed.

Using his walker, he reverses up to the bed and attempts to sit on it.

His generally frail state means that he can't lower himself in an ordered way and makes what can best be described as a 'gravity assisted arrival'.

On a number of occasions he has misjudged matters, landed on the edge of the bed and slid to the floor. I think on one occasion he might even have missed the bed altogether..

Luckily, he has only bruised his dignity but getting him upright again has presented something of a challenge.

On one occasion I was in the shower so it took a couple of minutes between the alarm being raised and 'rescue efforts ' getting under way.

I just can't run the risk of him having a fall and being half an hour or more away.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #2108
monster

I had a beer rebate worth $48-60 and left it to the last minute. But got the last minute wrong by 3 days so despite trying to submit 24 hours ahead of schedule, I'm 48 hours too late. Dumb. I could have done it at least 10 days ago but didn't. I suck
Old 09-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #2109
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I remember beer. Fondly.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #2110
monster

tbh this shit barely counts as beer
I am sorry it is only a memory for you, that sucketh Gone forever or just for now (if that's not too nosy)?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #2111
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, I've drank a few, total, here and there.

But, basically, no alcohol for us diebetix.

If I know I might have a beer, or a drink, I don't take the Metformin that morning, nor that night after a drinkiedrink.

I've read a beer or two shouldn't hurt, but...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #2112
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 20+ years ago. I have a drink every once in a while, just don't do every day, and I eat sweet BBQ sauce just not all the time. You can go out and eat a Cheeze Burger and a beer and it wont hurt, just don't do it all the time. Watch your Blood Sugars and take your Insulin appropriately.
PM me if you have any questions.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #2113
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'll admit that I don't quite get why beer is so bad. There's only 6.5 grams of carbohydrates in a Bud Light. And no sugar (well, not that kind of sugar, y'know what I mean).

Old 10-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #2114
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

When they diagnosed me in the hospital, my BGL was 335, but that was during a motherfucker of an infection (my white count was 22,000). My A1C was 12.

Welcome to Stage 3 Type 2 diebeetus!

Old 10-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #2115
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
When they diagnosed me in the hospital, my BGL was 335, but that was during a motherfucker of an infection (my white count was 22,000). My A1C was 12.

Welcome to Stage 3 Type 2 diebeetus!
I'm no doctor but I am a keenly interested reader and I found this page to be informative. My takeaway was that Stage 3 is characterized as "unstable" as your body is responding in a different way to the chemical stresses the systems face. I found it interesting that they described the feedback loop of glucose and insulin and the organs that detect and secrete the components as a "thermostat" that is exquisitely sensitive (hence just one beer can make a difference) but sensitive in a very narrow range. And when the levels of the ... significant things are outside the range of the thermostat, the thermostat can't cope and OTHER, less good things happen.

Again, so, so not a doctor.

Grav, I wish you the very best. Please take care of yourself.

Tags
limburger