The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #196
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Gravdigr - really?
Oh, hell no! Just tripped over the pic, and thought I'd start something.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #197
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Dinner last night was a box of Stouffer's Stuffed Green Peppers out of the microwave. Totally cheating, but man I love those things so much.

Tomorrow, it's going to be the london broil that I start marinating later, on the grill, the way dad used to make it.

Tonight? Hell, I haven't even had breakfast. I have some chicken breasts I need to do something with. But every time I think of something, they just say they've got a headache and want to stay in. So I dunno. I've stir-fried chicken all week, want something different to do.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #198
monster
I hear them call the tide

It's gonna be roast beef in about 10 minutes.....
Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #199
Tulip
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Those peeled asparagus were awesome. I'd never tried peeling them before.
Really? I thought that's how it's supposed to be cooked. The first time I made them, my mom taught me to peel them no one has to spit out anything when we eat the asparagus. I just assume that's how everyone cooks them.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #200
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

i've never had to spit out any bits when i cook asparagus. i just snap the bottoms off before i cook them to get the tough bit off. 99% of the time i then brush them in olive oil and salt and pepper then toss em on the grill (either outside or even just the foreman grill inside if i'm super lazy) and cook til they're tender.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #201
jinx
Come on, cat.

I like the super skinny ones. I just cut or snap the ends off and toss them around in a hot pan with some sesame oil for a couple minutes, finish with a little soy sauce. I like them still crunchy. Steamed or grilled is fine too, just not boiled or nuked until mushy.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #202
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

today i made my super special london broil top round, marinated for a day in my favorite SUPER SECRET MARINADE, then grilled to frickin perfection. Served with rice, barbecue baked beans, and cole slaw. SO GOOD.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #203
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I've not participated much here as my dinners usually not very "special" but tonight...
I had 2 dozen steamed clams which I dug myself as an appetizer.
Marinated pork chops on the grill with broccoli florets,
applesauce and 4 cheese mashed potatoes.
For dessert the two of us shared half a seedless YELLOW watermelon.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #204
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

S_W and Classic, two great descriptions of holiday meals.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #205
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Tonight I made dinner and took NO pictures! Boooooo.
It was a qualified success.

Mum liked the Beetroot and Goats Cheese Tart - she had two helpings and is saving the leftover piece for lunch tomorrow. Dad ate it and declared it good, but the trick is getting things on his plate - he is always complimentary after that.

Given the amount of other ingredients and the cooking time I found it too beetrooty. I'd make a Red Onion and Goats Cheese Tart again without the beetroot.

The Onion Marmalade passed without comment, making it a FAIL in my book. I will bin the rest of it tomorrow. It was okay, but too sweet and cloying.

The Torte (choc sponge, Baileys Cream and raspberries) was the biggest success, in that Dad and I loved it. It was too tart for Mum though. She isn't a big raspberry fan, although I didn't remember that until afterwards. For me it was like a simple Black Forest Gateaux. And the balance of flavours was perfect. But given that I am trialling for a special menu for Mum it is another FAIL. Still, Dad and I had scrapings (where you know you can't justify another prtion but sneak a bit off the side or from the centre) and I know we'll both enjoy it again tomorrow

Back to the drawing board.
Going to try her with Sweet Potato and Cheshire Cheese Souffle later this week. Which I don't have high hopes for, given that she's not a big sweet potato fan!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #206
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Yesterday I did butterfly pork chops on the grill. Marinated them with prepared mustard and brown sugar. And added some cherry to the charcoal to give them a little smokey touch. Topped off with a batch of my homemade bbq sauce.

Mrs. Z. made her cheesy rice casserole and a salad.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #207
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

tonight i think i'm just gonna snack. i found this combo pack of dry italian meats - salami, peppered salami, coppa, and prosciutto - at the local store for a surprisingly good price, and oh man, coppa and prosciutto particularly are my favorites. that, jicama sticks, and melba toasts. mm mm healthy.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #208
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

mmm prosciutto
Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #209
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Oh god blurrrgghh last night I had more calories than I've had all week. I ate like 3/4 of a pepperoni and anchovy pizza. Salt, fat, protein, all the good things in life. And my inside completely hate me for it today. So, so good, though.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #210
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

tonight: all things pickled! well, a lot of them are anyways.

the radishes and jicama are fresh, the cheeses are, well, aged but you know.

otherwise kimchee, two kinds of pickled cucumber, a bit of branston pickle, and a scrap of cinnamon-pear jelly.

and the kimchee jar exploded like a soda that's been shaken when i cracked it open. wheeeeeee. but ooh dipping the jicama in it is so worth it. when my mouth stops being on fire, i'll move on to the more delicate flavors of the cheeses.

a bit of a strange mix, but eh, i'm a strange dude.