The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #91
monster
I hear them call the tide

Current funeral practices are ridiculous. Societal norms emotionally blackmail people into spending way too much money and being environmentally wasteful. This is not ancient Egypt. Even if you believe there is a spirit to live on, you know it doesn't need an embalmed corpse and it certainly doesn't need a mahogany casket with crown-jewel handles. But even if you admit that, society makes you feel bad if you don't provide it.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #92
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Current funeral practices are ridiculous. Societal norms emotionally blackmail people into spending way too much money and being environmentally wasteful. This is not ancient Egypt. Even if you believe there is a spirit to live on, you know it doesn't need an embalmed corpse and it certainly doesn't need a mahogany casket with crown-jewel handles. But even if you admit that, society makes you feel bad if you don't provide it.
totally agree. we're dealing with this right now (father in law funeral tomorrow) and the costs and waste involved are outrageous! you dont even get time to grieve with all the notifications of death, registering, clearing a home etc.
its a despicable practice.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #93
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Without civil rights laws and programs like affirmative action, those who control wealth and power (white males) would only share wealth and power with those like themselves (white males).
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #94
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Those who want to repress minorities by doing away with affirmative action are the worst kind of racists. They refuse to acknowledge the racism in our country.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #95
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

+ Race is an artificial construct. The apparent distinctions between races are due to genetic isolation and large scale inbreeding of a limited population. The factors used to draw distinctions between races are artificial.

+ At a distance, it's difficult to distinguish between the smell of coffee and the smell of a skunk.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #96
Pie
Gone and done

HLJ, you've been drinking at Starf*cks again, eh?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #97
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I am a god. And not one of the minor ones. I'm Wotan, Optimus Maxiumus, Zeus, Lemmy, and Harvey Keitel all rolled into one god.

I'm also the world's greatest lover. A title I stole from Gene Wilder during a game of no-limit beer cricket.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #98
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
You were rimming your dad?
We're called "The Aristocrats":p
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #99
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

"The Aristocrats" joke is the worst joke in the world.

tom cruise beats himself off to pictures of himself in magazines.

some people in this world are beyond help and there needs to be an accurate way to determine this so they can be erradicated
Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 AM   #100
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
totally agree. we're dealing with this right now (father in law funeral tomorrow) and the costs and waste involved are outrageous! you dont even get time to grieve with all the notifications of death, registering, clearing a home etc.
its a despicable practice.
It is on my letter of intent in my will that no funeral home is to get a red cent when I die. I am to be cremated by the county and my wake is to be held at a pub, restaurant or home.
Funeral homes are corrupt and my family is not to be ripped-off because I died and my husk needs to be disposed of.
I do not want religion to be part of it, but they may have it as long as the pastor, preacher, etc, does not ask or hint at a "donation" or payment for their participation and my ashes are not to be prayed over.

If I don't want to treat other minorities like they are children and stupid, that they cannot achieve the same things as others on their own and must have things given to them instead. If I want to show that they are the same as I and deserve the dignity that comes with being treated the same as I makes me a bigot... fine, I prefer that to whatever you would call someone who treats them like they are less.
Name it what you will, but that is not what I would ever want to be.
In my world, those are the true bigots and racists. Sugar-coat an insult and it is still an insult.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #101
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I agree with the funeral thing. I really don't care what happens to me when I die, they can throw me out in the woods for the birds if they want too. I'll be dead, why would I care. Don't want to put that kind of stress on my family when I did.

I think wedding rings are a rip off too.

I think the reason AA is justified is because there is an assumption that minorities are already at a disadvantage and by giving them an advantage in this regard, they are evening out the playing field. I think this is a horrible way of fixing the problem and will only make it worse, we have to go to the source of the problem if we want to fix it.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #102
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post

They are if you pay more than the $30. wholesale that they cost.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #103
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

+ If you don't eat, you will die. If you eat, you will live. Therefore, any food, provided it isn't poisoned and hasn't gone bad, is good for you.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #104
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I don't believe that everyone has the right to freedom of speech.
If you want to tell people that whites are better than anyone else, that gays are an abomination, that women belong in the home, that 6 million jews were not killed in concentration camps or any other nonsense like that, you should have your mouth welded shut and your hands cut off.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #105
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I don't know so much about the ring; jewelry usually appreciates in value, and it's something you keep.

Big fancy shmancy show off weddings are totally stupid. 25 grand: the food is eaten, the flowers die, the booze wears off, and 10 years later you're divorced anyway. Hopefully they'll have some decent jewelry to sell. :p