The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 11:00 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I agree with the sentiment in the other forum. We are grooming a new generation of McVeighs.
Old 05-13-2001, 02:12 PM   #2
lordbobo
Non-Newbie Sort

Frankly, I agree. The crimes will get more horrible, and the people will get more desensatized to it. This viscious cycle can only be stopped by responsable parenting, and comunity involvement. Something that seems to be lacking in today's american society, and especially in schools. rant rant rant country going to hell rant rant cant walk down the streets without stepping on crack vials rant rant rant jon katz rant rant...
Old 05-13-2001, 03:20 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Oklahoma bloodlust

8 years ago, would you know how to spell McVeigh? Now even 8 year olds can spell his name correctly. We all grew up early knowing that Jeese had two e's - although who were the other James brothers?

The picture implies far more than is reality. When I was his age, killing outlaws was normal child's play. We all had guns.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:12 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

Angry

Hmmm i wonder what *responsible* adult put that idea in his head. For gods sake kids this age do NOT have the understanding of issues this complex, leave them out of it for fucks sake. This makes me sick.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:20 AM   #5
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

even more, the sentiment is much more brutal than reality. OK doesn't electrocute people; mcv won't "fry" when he's kilt, he will painlessly perish.

to call electrocuting "frying" is to lighten the actual fact that you're killing someone. inappropropriate all around i should think.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:25 AM   #6
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Re: Re: Oklahoma bloodlust

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
The picture implies far more than is reality. When I was his age, killing outlaws was normal child's play. We all had guns.
You're right. People blame movies and such things for violence, when you have them watching animals and people doing things like strapping rockets to their backs and slamming into cliff faces at Mach 1, get up, and walk away with their abdomens bobbing up and down producing a comical accordian sound.

Kids these days have such a warped sense of life and death, it's frightening. I'm convinced that the only reason I turned out as safely lucid and cynical as I did is because I was raised with dysfunctionality from birth.

One of the key things I learned ever since I was 4 was to cope. Broken promises, seeing the other "normal" kids with the hottest toys all over TV and brand-new clothes, watching intact families having a good time, it all forced me to acknowledge reality, to acknowledge that my life will never be like theirs, and to deal with it.

~Mike
Old 05-14-2001, 12:44 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

There are as many ways to ruin a kid as there are kids. Everything from permissive, to overly strict, to a complete lack of parenting can wreck the little ones, yet some of the best adults and some of the most interesting high school students, I've known are survivors of incompetent parents. Some kids suffer from parents who never read a parenting tome and others suffer from parents who keep their heads so stuck in the latest and greatest they never see what a little monster they're creating. I know a College prof and an MD who married late in life to start his second family, they actually thought it would be a good idea to raise a child without using the word no. The results were predictable.

The little jughead in the photo (if we assume thats his handwriting) is apparently being raised to think its ok to kill if you are in the right. Unfortunately, he probably won't be taught how subjective that can be. I think it was one of these cellar threads, that started with a graph showing the up-tick in murders following each of our major wars. Every time we decide to Americanize some chunk of the planet we bring part of the violence back home wired into the heads of some of our most patriotic and in this case decorated young people. We expect them to be able to turn off the programming their DI worked so hard to put in their heads. McV did the deed and should pay a penalty for it but lets remember who taught him to kill.

When I was a little kid, I remember seeing my Uncle off to Vietnam. He was a farm kid from a rural school district, pretty well programmed to be a patriot and to trust his government. He got there in time for the Tet offensive. His readjustment to civilian life was not pretty but he is now about as solid a citizen as you can imagine. I think we should all consider how young and impressionable many of our soldiers are when we demand that Washington do something about a civil war, a drug crisis, an oil crisis or some ancient feud. A little cynicism might also be a good thing.
Old 05-16-2001, 02:43 AM   #8
jaguar
whig

Unhappy

Chewbuccas, cartoons don't screw up kids coz they odn't take it seriously, they can differiante between a CARTOON and real life, there no blood in cartoons. Movies on the other hand.... I don't beleive movies/games cause kid killers, i believe genetic disposition, bad parents, and too much of that cause kid killers. Why (i know this is very personal but..) was your childhood so screwed up? I mean shit, my parents split when i was 7, messy too, i've changed coutnries 4 times, house innumerable times, and lived off next to nothing at time, i don't consider myself 'screwed up'. Friend of mine have suffered far worse, including rape, incest, and suecide, they arne't either. i know i don't know your story but i will offer this advise.

Get down off the cross you've built yourself, use the wood to build a bridge and GET OVER IT.

Its a quote of someone but i can't remember who.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:12 PM   #9
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Jag, how obtuse and callous can you be? By your saying to me all that stuff about a cross, you're saying that I implied I have the worst childhood. I never said I did. You have had a rough go of it, I admit. I've gone through shit of my own, stuff you're damn right is personal, but I don't go into it. I said what I said to make a point. You're dangerously close to trying to start some sort of "Pity Me" contest.

You're right jag, you have no idea what my life is like, and I pray to God on high you never shall. So take that cross of yours and shove it. It has no other purpose. And good lord, run a spell checker before you post next time. I mean, seriously. Gesu Cristo...

~Mike

Old 05-21-2001, 10:45 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Re: Re: Oklahoma bloodlust

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
8 years ago, would you know how to spell McVeigh? Now even 8 year olds can spell his name correctly. We all grew up early knowing that Jeese had two e's - although who were the other James brothers?

I always thought it was spelled Jesse. And Frank James was one of the other brothers.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 05-22-2001, 10:58 AM   #11
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Actually, frank was the only brother...the rest of the men in the James gang were unrelated (for a while it was known as the James-Younger gang, for Frank, Jesse, and Cole Younger, among others)