The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-26-2003, 08:36 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

South Park dudes' next movie, and comment

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ovies_eo/12050

<i>South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone are joining forces with producer Scott Rudin (The Hours) and Paramount Pictures to make Team America, a spoof that will use marionettes to lampoon the war on terrorism, mindless action movies and celebrities, according to the Hollywood trades.</i>

Now the paragraph I enjoy the most:

<i>Says Parker in Variety: "We hate those actors who take themselves so seriously and think they are a productive and important part of society. The subtle joke here is that all actors are puppets. This will probably piss off everyone in town--and might well be our swan song."</i>

This goes back to someone's earlier thread about which actors are overrated and which underrated, and I stand by my response which was <i>they're all overrated</i>.

Ms. UT and I go to see local theatre all the time, because we're big drama fans. And y'know, there are excellent actors all over the place. I was in school with a few who could bring it. There's nothing special about 99% of the set who make it all the way into major budget films.

I could probably respect someone like Harrison Ford who seems to be more concerned with professionalism than with fame. Maybe a Jim Carrey who can bring something truly original and inventive. Most of the rest need severe ego reductions.

Parker and Stone are on the other end of this spectrum. There aren't a million of 'em -- only this two, who are totally creative and special. You can put <i>South Park</i> down for remaining as tasteless as ever, but it also remains fresh and creative and funny and relevant after so many years of episodes.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:23 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The thing that disturbs me is that ALL Southpark episodes remain relevant, even after I've seen them 10 times. The lessons that Southpark teaches are so clear and everyone laughs but nobody learns. Is it because they're demonstrating human foibles that will never change?
Old 06-27-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
headsplice
Relaxed

Part of it is their universality. Part of it is Parker and Stone have an excellent sense of comedic timing. If you've seen Orgazmo, you know how funny it is to see someone beaten with an oversized phallus while the beater screams, "Where are the papers!?"
Comedy gold.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Now you're a man! a manny manny man!

Trey Parker is extraordinary, and I guess Matt Stone is cool too. I look forward to everything they do.

Cannibal! The Musical was actually a bit much for me, if that's possible. But Orgazmo was rip-roaring. I watched it again 2 days ago with some friends who hadn't seen it. The "now you're a man" song is still in my head. ("Now You're A Man" by DVDA.) Another favorite was the "Training Montage" song in the Aspen episode of South Park. They definitely like to make fun of traditional filmmaking methods.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:29 AM   #5
headsplice
Relaxed

Thanks B, now you have that song stuck in my head.
:p