The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #31
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

tobiasly.com His last entry was in May of this year
Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #32
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Thank you veterans.

I enjoyed the day off.

But seriously, I have the utmost respect and admiration for our veterans' service.

As Chris Rock said "Cause I ain't fightin'"
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #33
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'd also like to extend my gratitude to Cellar dwellar Tobiasly. Maybe he just never got around to visiting us again after his tour was done, but I have a sinking suspicion he's sacrificed more than we can dream of repaying.
He is not listed.

http://nwi.com/databases/iraq/

Unless he used a different first name than Toby. 32 Dead with last name of Johnson.

http://nwi.com/databases/iraq/?appSe...91131192463661
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #34
busterb
NSABFD

Thanks folks
Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #35
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

'Tis Remembrance Sunday today in the UK.
Two minutes silence at 11.00, although it will be repeated on the 11th, which is officially Remembrance Day. The closest Sunday is always used for the ceremony, which would otherwise bring London to a standstill. The Queen and her family, the politicians and representatives of the Commonwealth all lay wreaths. Then there is the march past of servicemen and women and civilians representing certain groups (charities who work with the armed forces etc).

Watched it all and cried. Even more poignant this year because of the many deaths in Afghanistan. Some widows and children walked in lieu of those who died in action, wearing the medals of the deceased. Of course it's invitation only (9000 people file past the Cenotaph) but it's still hard to see the occasional kid.

I'm not into this "people who serve are heroes" idea. People who serve are brave, but they are normal people. But then I watch something like this and that bravery means so much more to me. And beyond that I am reminded that service people deserve respect and gratitude.

Mum has agreed we'll make up a shoebox this year. Can't be as much as last yeat (when I was still working) but someone serving will get something from us.

I'm asking again re Big Sarge. Anyone with contact details, can you let me know? I'll send you MY details to pass on to him if you prefer, so you know I'm not a stalker. He gave me his address & email and I lost them. And I feel rotten because I promised to keep in touch. I just want him to have (another) friendly contact from here.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #36
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
I would like to offer my sincere gratitude and thanks for the service of all the Veterans who read this. Your sacrifice for me, my family, and my country is not in vain. It is not unseen, unnoticed or unappreciated. You each gave so I could have, and I thank you. I offer you my sincere and profound thanks.

I only know of a few of you by name and I will mention them here. This forum is mostly anonymous, and so I know only a little about some of you. Certainly there are Veterans to whom I owe a debt but will not be named here, either through my forgetfulness or my ignorance. If you are not named for any reason, please feel free to identify yourself to me publicly or privately and I will add your name to this list. If you wish to accept my thanks, and the thanks of my family anonymously, that is your prerogative.

Another Veteran's Day is upon us.

Though the years wind down, my gratitude for your service is undiminished. You do me, and our country, a great service, and I am thankful. Your work individually and as a cohesive organization is an integral part of our martial nation. While I find war regrettable, I accept that it exists, and that we fight. I do not like it, but I'm glad I have you and your brothers and sisters in arms to count on to do it. You may feel your efforts are thankless--I assure you they are not. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you one and all.

Thank you to my family members who have served:

My Dad, W
My Father in law, F
My Uncle, G
My brothers, C and B and S
My cousin, S

Thank you to my friends here in the cellar who also have served:

lookout123
zippyt
Urbane Guerilla and Mrs UG
busterb
TheMercenary
fargon
sexobon
capnhowdy
Big Sarge
regular.joe
130load
CzinZumeret the elder and his sons and uncles
Tobiasly

I offer you my deepest and sincerest gratitude.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 11-12-2010 at 02:15 AM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #37
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Your welcome, BigV. Thanks for noting. Altho not a pleasure, it was my duty and I'd do it again if needed. Thank YOU for being a patriotic citizen. People like you who stop to think where freedom actually comes from are the real backbone of this great nation. God bless you. God bless America. Ooh rah!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #38
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'd also like to extend my gratitude to Cellar dwellar Tobiasly. Maybe he just never got around to visiting us again after his tour was done, but I have a sinking suspicion he's sacrificed more than we can dream of repaying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
FWIW ... He is fine and dandy in Indiana...

Yeh, thanks to all of you for all you've done. Good job Big V.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #39
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Tanks V
Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #40
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

While we're at it, thanx to Grendel T. Troll too. 2 hitches Army, and during a shooting time too -- Mrs. UG (aka X-Lydia) and Grendel T. both have the SW Asia Service Medal.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #41
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Another Veteran's Day is upon us.

Though the years wind down, my gratitude for your service is undiminished. You do me, and our country, a great service, and I am thankful. Your work individually and as a cohesive organization is an integral part of our martial nation. While I find war regrettable, I accept that it exists, and that we fight. I do not like it, but I'm glad I have you and your brothers and sisters in arms to count on to do it. You may feel your efforts are thankless--I assure you they are not. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you one and all.
Happy Veteran's Day.

That sounds so insufficient. Happy? Veteran's Day? It's Veteran's country. We're a martial nation, born from warfare. Without veterans it's unlikely we'd be here at all. Have a happy day, thanks for your service. So trite, so inadequate. But still true. I do wish happiness for each of you. I am thankful for your service. I don't like war, no one does, but the necessity of war I must sometimes accept, however reluctantly. And those who serve, who sacrifice, who toil and fight and die, your work has helped produce our great nation. For that I am happy and thankful.

My thanks to you all.

In my family:

My Dad, W
My Father in law, F
My Uncle, G
My brothers, C and B and S
My cousin, S

Thank you to my friends here in the cellar and elsewhere who also have served:

lookout123
zippyt
Urbane Guerilla and Mrs UG
busterb
TheMercenary
fargon
sexobon
capnhowdy
Big Sarge
regular.joe
130load
CzinZumeret the elder and his sons and uncles
Tobiasly
Grendel T. Troll (by way of UG)
Karin RP
Steven R

The list of my acquaintances who have has grown only a little, but by appreciation remains unchanged. You have my deepest and sincerest gratitude. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #42
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well done V.

Thanks to all you military folks.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #43
Florrio
Kinda New Member

I only know of a few of you by name and I will mention them here. This forum is mostly anonymous, and so I know only a little about some of you. Certainly there are Veterans to whom I owe a debt but will not be named here, either through my forgetfulness or my ignorance. If you are not named for any reason, please feel free to identify yourself to me publicly or privately and I will add your name to this list. If you wish to accept my thanks, and the thanks of my family anonymously, that is your prerogative.

I send my thanks to:

My Dad, W
My Father in Law, F
My Uncle, G
My two Brothers, C and B

Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #44
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Happy Veteran's Day.

A very abbreviated post, in no way proportional to my gratitude.

This has been a very stressful week for me. But I hope you'll overlook my tardiness. Thank you all for your service.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #45
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hello friends.

Happy Veteran's Day.

My heart, my heart is filled with gratitude for your service. I can *not* thank you enough. My head is kind of fucked up today. I won't pollute this post with my own personal shit.

Goddamn it. You know who you are. And if you know me, you know my thanks are sincere. If you don't know me, fuck....

It's not about me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, truly, for your service.

Thank you.