The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #91
busterb
NSABFD

Tonight. 1 fried pork chop, Butter peas, corn bread, chunk of onion, marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Pop w/foam on top
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #92
monster
I hear them call the tide

pizza, not even homemade.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #93
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Last night I roasted a chicken breast stuffed with a a dollop of butter, mixed with lemon jiuce, creme fraiche, fresh parsley, sea salt and black pepper. Served with British Anya new potatoes, crushed with parsley butter. And a side of sliced mini portabello mushrooms and finely chopped shallots, poached in cream and garlic.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #94
Pie
Gone and done

Last night: pan-roasted chicken tacos with homemade refritos.

Tonight: Swordfish steaks and tiny rosemary potatoes over arugula, lemon-caper dressing.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #95
monster
I hear them call the tide

Tonight..... we eat out!

Knights

menu
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #96
jinx
Come on, cat.

Last night we (kids and I) had white rice due to not feeling well. Today isn't looking much better.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #97
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Hope you guys are doing much better.

Tonight I made BBQ beef sandwiches on a kaiser roll.

Mom gets roast beef tomorrow.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #98
Tulip
Professor

Watercress and egg salad and durian for dessert. Hmm....that doesn't sound too tasty when seen in print.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #99
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
durian
This is the third time in April that I've heard of this fruit. First there were the "no eating durians on the train" signs I saw on Boing Boing, and all the comments there that went with that. Then I saw them being sold in an asian grocery store last weekend, kept frozen to keep the smell down, and now here.

I had never heard of them before. Besides my understanding that they smell god awful, I don't know much about them. Are they any good?
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #100
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What's for dinner?
Brussels sprout and runner bean risotto!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #101
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
The durian (pronounced /ˈdʊəriən/)[2] is the fruit of several tree species belonging to the genus Durio and the Malvaceae family[3][1] (although some taxonomists place Durio in a distinct family, Durionaceae[1]). Widely known and revered in southeast Asia as the "king of fruits", the durian is distinctive for its large size, unique odour, and formidable thorn-covered husk. The fruit can grow as large as 30 centimetres (12 in) long and 15 centimetres (6 in) in diameter, and it typically weighs one to three kilograms (2 to 7 lb). Its shape ranges from oblong to round, the colour of its husk green to brown, and its flesh pale yellow to red, depending on the species.
The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and offensive. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #102
Tulip
Professor

I never knew Asian grocery stores kept durians in the freezer to keep the smell down. They do smell god awful though(common knowledge, but it doesn't bother me that much). Like blue cheese, durian is an acquired taste. I've heard that a person either love it or depise. But yeah, the smell is pretty strong. If you want just to taste a hint of its smell, try durian ice cream or durian flavored candy or cookie. If you wanna try but can't find any, I can send you some. The candy, cookie, that is.

The fruit itself is no biggie. The fresh fruit is always better than the frozen one. Frozen durian gets kind of mushy once thawed. Personally, I like jackfruit better. I don't love nor hate durian. Someone gave us a frozen durian so the smell wasn't strong. But then I have a very dull sense of smell so odors don't bother me as much as most people.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #103
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Left overs, the wife is out of town and there is no reason to cook with all the good food we have in the frig.

Curry Chicken or left over Indian Food... two great choices.

Sides of fresh salad and or Tabouli.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #104
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm making Thai Green Curry, and I'm so excited. It's one of my favorite meals.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #105
Pie
Gone and done

Had pasta with arugula pesto and leftover sliced flank steak for lunch. With tomatoes. Dinner... will be whatever we find... out there...