The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

2009 Senate Elections

I was doing a quick fact check for the sex scandal thread and I saw something interesting. It's something I sort of knew already, but seeing it in print made an impression.

12 Democrats and 21 Republicans are up for reelection in 2009. With Democrats already in a slim lead in the Senate, this means in order to retake the majority, Republicans have to hold all 21 seats and steal at least 1 from the Democrats.

Meanwhile, the White House has circled it's wagons and Bush, who is the titular head of the Republican party, seems to be providing them with the same leadership he has shown for most of his tenure as Commander-in-Chief, consisting mostly of denial and stubborn adherence to failed strategies. Also, with Democrats in the majority, the White House can no longer resort to questionable tactics and have to reluctantly reestablish the barriers mandated by the Hatch Act. In selecting Cheney as Vice President, a man who is clearly unable to run for President, Bush has also set up a power vacuum in the presidential elections unseen for decades. The resulting free-for-all cannot help but affect Senate elections.

At the same time, Republicans are still expected to maintain some measure of party discipline, limiting their ability to distance themselves from a failed administration. This once effective relationship has become politically gangrenous for most members seeking reelection in all but the most partisan districts.

All in all, the Reds have a good reason to be blue.

From Here
Quote:
class - Article I, section 3 of the Constitution requires the Senate to be divided into three classes for purposes of elections. Senators are elected to six-year terms, and every two years the members of one class—approximately one-third of the Senators—face election or reelection. Terms for Senators in Class I expire in 2013, Class II in 2009, and Class III in 2011.
And Here

Quote:
Class II - Senators Whose Terms of Service Expire in 2009
Senators in Class II were elected to office in the November 2002 general election. Their terms run from the beginning of the 108th Congress on January 3, 2003 to the end of the 110th Congress in January 2009.

Democrats

Baucus, Max (D-MT)
Biden, Joseph R., Jr. (D-DE)
Durbin, Richard (D-IL)
Harkin, Tom (D-IA)
Johnson, Tim (D-SD)
Kerry, John F. (D-MA)
Landrieu, Mary L. (D-LA)
Lautenberg, Frank R. (D-NJ)
Levin, Carl (D-MI)
Pryor, Mark L. (D-AR)
Reed, Jack (D-RI)
Rockefeller, John D., IV (D-WV)

Republicans
Alexander, Lamar (R-TN)
Allard, Wayne (R-CO)
Chambliss, Saxby (R-GA)
Cochran, Thad (R-MS)
Coleman, Norm (R-MN)
Collins, Susan M. (R-ME)
Cornyn, John (R-TX)
Craig, Larry E. (R-ID)
Dole, Elizabeth (R-NC)
Domenici, Pete V. (R-NM)
Enzi, Michael B. (R-WY)
Graham, Lindsey (R-SC)
Hagel, Chuck (R-NE)
Inhofe, James M. (R-OK)
McConnell, Mitch (R-KY)
Roberts, Pat (R-KS)
Sessions, Jeff (R-AL)
Smith, Gordon H. (R-OR)
Stevens, Ted (R-AK)
Sununu, John E. (R-NH)
Warner, John (R-VA)
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What's more, more D seats are considered party-safe.

Democrats

Baucus, Max (D-MT) - safe
Biden, Joseph R., Jr. (D-DE) - mostly safe
Durbin, Richard (D-IL) - safe
Harkin, Tom (D-IA) - safe
Johnson, Tim (D-SD) - health problems, may retire
Kerry, John F. (D-MA) - Somewhat low approval rating; would be replaced by another D regardless
Landrieu, Mary L. (D-LA) - unsafe due to Katrina
Lautenberg, Frank R. (D-NJ) - age 84 in 2008; low approval rating; moron; deserves to be replaced by the very smart Rob Andrews (D)
Levin, Carl (D-MI) - safe
Pryor, Mark L. (D-AR) - kind of unsafe
Reed, Jack (D-RI) - safe
Rockefeller, John D., IV (D-WV) - safe

Republicans
Alexander, Lamar (R-TN) - mostly safe
Allard, Wayne (R-CO) - open, Allard retiring
Chambliss, Saxby (R-GA) - safe
Cochran, Thad (R-MS) - safe
Coleman, Norm (R-MN) - sinking approval ratings; may face Al Franken
Collins, Susan M. (R-ME) - mostly safe
Cornyn, John (R-TX) - safe
Craig, Larry E. (R-ID) - may retire but state will vote R
Dole, Elizabeth (R-NC) - mostly safe
Domenici, Pete V. (R-NM) - safe
Enzi, Michael B. (R-WY) - safe
Graham, Lindsey (R-SC) - safe
Hagel, Chuck (R-NE) - may retire; sorta unsafe
Inhofe, James M. (R-OK) - safe
McConnell, Mitch (R-KY) - mostly safe
Roberts, Pat (R-KS) - safe
Sessions, Jeff (R-AL) - safe
Smith, Gordon H. (R-OR) - unsafe
Stevens, Ted (R-AK) - 85 in 2008; will probably run again and win anyway
Sununu, John E. (R-NH) - unsafe
Warner, John (R-VA) - mostly safe
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Still a lot of time for the parties or individuals to piss off the voters. Mood can shift swiftly and the new president will have time to win or alienate the hearts and minds.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

You know, I had forgotten about Al Franken.

What's funny is that all of the actors and entertainers who became politicians that I can think of up until now have all been Republicans.

Ronald Reagan
Arnold Schwarzeneggar.
Fred Thompson
Fred Grandy (Gopher on the Love Boat)

As for Mary Landrieu, the real problem for her opponent would be the completely f***cked up job by the White House. The only way a Republican would win that seat is to seriously badmouth the administration.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
As for Mary Landrieu, the real problem for her opponent would be the completely f***cked up job by the White House. The only way a Republican would win that seat is to seriously badmouth the administration.
Same reasoning did not help the LA Governor. She is not running in a race that, if that logic applied, she should win easily. Polls suggest otherwise.

Once coattails had relevance. In the past 20 years, that has not been true. If you could say the entire Republican party screwed up, then that logic may be valid. However a president does not appear to have the same influence on other elections as was true 30 years ago.

Local opinions by a regional politician on an issue - ie "Mission Accomplished" - caused many states to vote out their "we want more war" representative. IOW I suggest it was not so much George Jr's opinion they were voting against. Many were voting against those who supported a "we want war" agenda or other issues such as corruption.

I don't think the LA election would be based on the administration’s incompetence during Katrina. Voting probably would be more about what "Mary Landrieu did for us" after Katrina. That would suggest why the Governor is not popular but why the Senator may be reelected.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The reason the seat is unsafe is because her voters have left.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The reason the seat is unsafe is because her voters have left.
So GWB knew what he was doing all along in screwing over the city and botching the reconstruction? I'd almost prefer that he be some kind of sick Machiavellian genius instead of just someone who got elected to a position way over his head.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
You know, I had forgotten about Al Franken.

What's funny is that all of the actors and entertainers who became politicians that I can think of up until now have all been Republicans.

Ronald Reagan
Arnold Schwarzeneggar.
Fred Thompson
Fred Grandy (Gopher on the Love Boat)
Dude! Sonny Bono.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Dude! Sonny Bono.
Darn! I forgot about him. Another Republican. Can anyone name a former entertainer who became a Democratic member of Congress?

I will settle for Green Party, Independent, or Libertarian.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Once coattails had relevance. In the past 20 years, that has not been true. If you could say the entire Republican party screwed up, then that logic may be valid. However a president does not appear to have the same influence on other elections as was true 30 years ago.
As I recall, both the Republican victory in 2002 and the Republican defeat in 2006 were attributed to George W. Bush's coattails.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How about John Glenn? Didn't he sit in a movie studio a act like he was going into space?

Just kidding...I'm sorry John.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Darn! I forgot about him. Another Republican. Can anyone name a former entertainer who became a Democratic member of Congress?

Jello Biafra ran for (and came in second place for) the Green party presidential nomination in '04.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrere View Post
As I recall, both the Republican victory in 2002 and the Republican defeat in 2006 were attributed to George W. Bush's coattails.
Worst case of buyer's remorse in US history.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Jello Biafra ran for (and came in second place for) the Green party presidential nomination in '04.
And Pat Paulsen ran any number of times. I'm talking winners. Second place for the Green Party nomination. That would make him 249,223,123 in line for the throne.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
glatt

Quote:

Ben Jones, who played Cooter in the Dukes of Hazzard TV show, is a Democrat who served for two terms in the House of Representatives.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote