The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #241
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Oh no ...
RIP, Tom Clancy.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #242
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

I read a few of his novels whilst on my "hiatus from society", one of them twice. But, as always, the books are always better than the movie.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #243
limegreenc
shed door curio

For the past 10? years, Clancy has used other writers to make his money. Yes he created the outlines, but it was HIS name at the top of the page. Yes a fabulous storyteller also great film adaptions.
limegreenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #244
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

That is some crazy synchronicity. I just pulled out Red Storm Rising a couple of nights ago to re-read. I'm up to the Iceland thing.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #245
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
That is some crazy synchronicity. I just pulled out Red Storm Rising a couple of nights ago to re-read. I'm up to the Iceland thing.
second time huh? that good? i haven't read it yet. in fact, i haven't read any clancy since my hiatus.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #246
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

This thread reminds me that I should look up Tom Clancy on amazon and order a few of his titles for my father, who loves political thrillers. I'm immigrating my Dad at the beginning of November, but for this month he's stressed with getting ready and could use some brain candy.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #247
limegreenc
shed door curio

He is way over my head...but I enjoyed the movie "hunt for red October with alec Baldwin and sean connery
limegreenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #248
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
second time huh? that good? i haven't read it yet. in fact, i haven't read any clancy since my hiatus.
It's the sort of thing Clancy does so well. The intermingling of a dozen story lines. He leaves you at a cliff hanger and switches to another thread. It keeps you turning pages. I also like the hardware details he throws in. Aircraft, submarines, whatever. He does his research.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #249
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've read several of his books, always a good read.

LOVED 'The Hunt For Red October'.

RIP Mr. Clancy.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #250
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What did he die of?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #251
glatt

That's the question. I'm not seeing it reported in all the two articles I skimmed.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #252
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

FFS...This is from everyjoe.com, and is just ridiculous:

Quote:
As you’ve undoubtedly heard, legendary author Tom Clancy has died. He was just 66 years old. While an illness is said to be the official cause of death, that hasn’t stopped the internet from throwing around alternative speculation.

Could Tom Clancy have been murdered by people within the federal government? One theory goes that the author was too good at predicting events and had become a threat to the nation. This man predicted everything from 9/11 to the Bin Laden raid with razor-like accuracy. To silence him, the feds had him killed — and they did so during the shutdown of the government so that as few people as possible could potentially ruin the plot … so says this theory.

Or, could he have committed suicide? Maybe he utilized his amazing speculative ability and saw something disastrous coming. Thus, in order to avoid a more painful demise, he decided to bow out gracefully now.

Personally, I believe the official word that his health failed. Some say it’s fishy that this illness took him so quickly — but that happens all the time, unfortunately.

Regardless of the manner, I hope you rest in peace, Tom Clancy.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #253
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

FWIW, it's been my experience that "after a brief illness" usually refers to cancer.

Fuck cancer.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #254
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

66 yr old male...Ima guess prostate/colon cancer.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #255
glatt

He looked like he was in his 60's when I started reading his stuff 20 years ago. He never looked very healthy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bought the farm, dead not loved, famous corpses, karked it, kicked the bucket, pining for the fjords, pushing up the daisies, roadkill, sleeps with the fishes, taking a dirt nap, the dead zone, worm food