The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #211
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

In an effort to keep myself from checking only nonfiction out of the city library:

Ireland, by Frank Delaney. Bill O'Reilly recommended it, nice Irish boy that he is. Sort of Irish history as myth, and myths as Irish history.

In nonfiction, Allah's Torch and The Blitzkrieg Myth.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #212
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
The first was Kushiel's Dart, and the second was Sunshine. They were both horrible.
30 pages, eh? I don't think I would have made it past the cover art ...

I'm about to start Brutal Mercies by R.E. Yantorno.

The author is a local cop, and the book is set in the Philadelphia area.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #213
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonia
Just curious - why didn't you like Kushiel's Dart? Was it too much like a romance novel for you? I did like that book as well as the other two in the series.
Yeah, the writing style was really nice; I was quite engaged for the first bit where the main character's a child... but then it started in with the political maneuvering--I find courtly political games to be really horrifically boring. And then it got all romance-y, which I just can't take seriously.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #214
eiffelenator
Irrelevant Adulterant

Just tore through the Grouphug book. Ridiculous.
Also recently read The Cathedral & the Bazaar.
Geek stuff.
eiffelenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #215
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I just finished "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers. Pretty good, I'm not sure how to describe the writing style. Think Kerouac, although more whiney and self-centered with a thick helping of sarcastic detachment.

Also pretty much everything, if not the entire book, in Cathedral & Bazaar is on Raymond's website. It's decent, though better when the stuff was fresh. My opinion of ESR has fallen greatly in the last year or two.

The Art of Unix Programming, available in full on ESR's site, is a decent read.

ESR's site

Last edited by Perry Winkle; 08-16-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 AM   #216
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Based on a conversation at work tonight, I may reread American Psycho, if I can figure out where in my house i put it ... probably the back of the linen closet.

After that, I have an autographed copy of Rick Santorum's "It Takes a Family."

I am sure that RichLevy thinks that the plots of these two books are identical.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #217
Urbane Guerrilla

Now it's Bare Knuckles and Back Rooms, by Ed Rollins. Seems being a political campaign manager is wearing on a body and soul.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #218
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Four to recommend:

'Mad World, My Masters' - non fiction/factual by John Simpson (BBC World Correspondent) - well-structured collection of stories and anecdotes. His style never fails to surprise as the stories move to different conclusions than that expected.

'French Revolutions' - non-fiction/humour by Tim Moore - non-cyclist decides to bike the route of the Tour de France - will amuse even the non-cyclist (thank god for that!) - great story-teller with all the right material and incidents to make the job so much easier.

'To the Baltic with Bob - non-fiction/humour by Griff Rhyss-Jones - non-sailor Griff takes wooden yacht from UK to Tallinn in the Baltic Sea aided by equally incapable crew of two - three obtuse personalities inside cramped quarters make for an inspiring mix of humour and tragedy (the tragedy being the funny sort!)

'The Burning Girl' - fiction/crime by Mark Billingham - #4 in the Inspector Tom Thorne series. Set in and around London - believable characters, good story well told - researches thoroughly - consider the other 3 titles as well 'Sleepyhead', 'Scaredy-Cat' and 'Lazybones'
Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 PM   #219
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I just finished Lucky by Alice Sebold... wow - it was so good. She needs to write more books.... I've already read both of her books and both were GREAT!
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 AM   #220
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A couple of days ago a U-Haul truck pulled up in front of the hospital. One of my coworkers saw it, said, "Oh shit, I'm outta here!" and headed for a room in the office with much better blast resistance.

I, on the otherhand, took my place behind the bullet resistant glass and cheerily asked, "How can I help you?" when the driver of the U-Haul and his girlfriend came into the foyer.

"Yeah, can we donate some books? We were patients here, and we know you always need stuff for the library." (our hospital is something of a match.com for lunatics)

"Sure," I said, having no idea what I was getting into ...

Several handtruck loads later there were eight banana boxes crammed full of books in my already cramped office.

Donated book rule is this ... staff goes through them first and removes anything that would be inappropriate for our unit ... (I sure hope someone pulled "Audrey Rose," "For the Love of Audrey Rose," and "The Exorcist" out of the boxes before they got to Activities ... I would have, but I already have all three of them).

The mix in the boxes was a lot better than we usually end up with ... plenty of mysteries, lots of science fiction, some stuff that would be appropriate for adolescents, and the customary ton of romance novels.

There was even a book on MC68000 Assembly Language lurking in the textbook box.

So, right now I am screening some classic Ellery Queen Mysteries for content prior to delivering them to the unit.

Most of the books of the "I really would want these" category were ones that I had already read, and for the most part, still have in my book closet. I already finished the Archie Double Digest and the Betty and Veronica Double Digest and have passed them onto my coworker's 10 year old daughter.

(she's ending up with a couple Hardy Boys mysteries, and at least three of the Black Stallion books, and the obligatory copy of Island of the Blue Dolphins.)

Old 08-21-2005, 12:57 AM   #221
itzBoo
Profitable Prophet

I've been reading a novel called "The Door to December" by Dean Koontz, and it's around 500 pages long
itzBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #222
Urbane Guerrilla

And on to The Neocon Reader, Irwin Stelzer, editor. Not a manifesto, but a collection of essays about, or relating to, what for convenience we'll call neocon ideas.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #223
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Probably not. There are very significant differences in how you deal with a mentally ill person vs. someone with Alzheimers ... things like sundowning, and constant complaints that "people are breaking in and stealing my things, and then breaking in to give them back" are not common to mental illness ... neither is truly random combativeness, and misidentifying people as folks from their pasts.

It's sad, and I've worked with some folks who are actually senile but come into the mental health system because there sometimes isn't anywhere else to go ...

I expect that there are some books on Alzheimers/Senility/Aging and coping with it, but I haven't run across any ... I probably should, as I've noticed some memory and attention problems in my mom, especially over the last two years or so.

I'd also recommend that your mom start looking into Alzehimer's Units in nursing homes near your uncle's house (there's one near here with the tagline "Specialty Living for the Memory Impaired"). Tell your mom to chat with other nurses, particularly pool or float nurses. They will absolutely know where the good and bad places are.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:37 AM   #224
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

[quote=perth]Aldous Huxley.

I've been re-reading Vonnegut some, "Breakfast of Champions", "Slaughterhouse 5". I find I can't put one of his books down after I've started reading.

What did you get out of Slaughterhouse 5? Did you get you can't do anything to change the future so just go with it? I dont' know. What is Breakfast of Champions about? Please let me know.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #225
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Books I've Read in Iraq
A Clockwork Orange-brilliant
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest-decent
Haunted-weird read, but good-chuck palahnuik
Fight Club-Great read, very philosophical-CP
Choke-wierd, once again-CP
Siddartha-okay, good message
Catch 22-great read if you are in the military, very funny
To Kill A Mockingbird-Best book I've ever read
It Can't Happen Here-very boring, but profound message
Devils Apocrypha-just another twist on the Bible from Satan's point of view
To Reign In Hell-another Satan's point of view book
Farenhieght 451-Incredible
Naked Pictures of Famous People-Very Funny
American Gods-Neil Gaiman-Sci-Fi Fantasy, very amusing book
Angels and Demons-Dan Brown's book before Divinci Code, it's okay.
Illuminati-odd, but thought provoking
And yes, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince-I'm only about 15% into it, but I'm not impressed thus far...I know, I know

Tags
books