The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #5791
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I really hate my life and myself right now. There is nothing major wrong, just all the little stuff is snowballing and I can't seem to find the time/energy/decision making skills to actually handle the issues. Also some of the things I find myself dissatisfied/disgusted with are vain and petty, but bother me constantly. I know shouldn't hate my life, but right now I do.

Sorry for the emo/whine post.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #5792
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now, MTP.

You won't feel this way forever - one thing is certain - this too shall pass.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #5793
Nirvana
Back in 10

Pet your doggie I promise you will feel better MTP!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #5794
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Pet your doggie I promise you will feel better MTP!
She's been having potty accidents although I take her out every 2-3 hrs. She won't even be seemingly "asking" to go out. I'm gonna start giving her praise/treats for going outside, which I had stopped doing the treats and just gave praise because she seemed to not have any issues. Oh, and she's gained 3lbs since I got her on June 10. I have been following the feeding guides.
I feel like a horrible dog owner.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #5795
Nirvana
Back in 10

Aww how old is she? Does she have a crate to be in when you are not there? The only way to effectively house train a dog is to crate train them. Giving them the run of the house before they are HB prolongs their training. She will get it eventually. Not hard to take some food out of her diet. You are not a horrible dog owner if you love your dog.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #5796
morethanpretty

Quote:
Aww how old is she? Does she have a crate to be in when you are not there? The only way to effectively house train a dog is to crate train them. Giving them the run of the house before they are HB prolongs their training. She will get it eventually. Not hard to take some food out of her diet. You are not a horrible dog owner if you love your dog.
She has the accidents when we're home. Last night she did it right in front of us. This morning while I was up and getting ready she went on the bathroom floor even though she had already been out. I don't think she's ever had an accident while she was alone, if I'm at my parent's she is left in my bedroom or when its nice out, a pen outside (only for about 4-5hrs usually). I've been staying at my b/f's a lot and she has the run of the apartment then. Still only seems to be doing it when we're home.

She's 2yrs old.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #5797
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
The only way to effectively house train a dog is to crate train them.
I had never heard of crating dogs, or cats, until living in the US. yet they all seemed to get house trained just fine.
It strikes me as bizarre and cruel, it's a cultural thing, the people I know with dogs they seem to be OK.

I saw this on one those dog training shows, quite possible the one with the English woman.

Submissive Urination
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #5798
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I use to crate Pico when we would leave the house. I didn't like it much, but he had proven over and over again that he rather likes using our carpet as a pee receptacle. Then one day I decided to put him in the bathroom because we were going to be away for quite a while - he peed in the bathtub! And he has done it several times since. So now thats where I put him. I still crate him at night though - at least hes in the bedroom with me.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #5799
morethanpretty

My mom sent me this forward. 1: I don't understand why she thinks all this crap is true. 2: Why the fuck I would ever buy into this shit.

Quote:
This is very scary stuff and if we don't want this to come about in our lifetimes, we had better get busy and take our country back.

May God's countenance shine upon you and grant you peace
(Mom's addition)

Subject: FW: "Joys" of Muslim women

The woman is certainly real and seems to be what the article indicates. I have done some reading about her. If this is all true, it is certainly very sobering.

Joys of Muslim Women

Note very carefully the paragraph in red

This was written by a woman born in Egypt as a Muslim. This is not hearsay, and it will scare you.
Make sure you read the paragraph (in red) towards the end.

Joys of Muslim Women by Nonie Darwish

In the Muslim faith a Muslim man can marry a child as young as 1 Year old and have sexual intimacy with this child, consummating the marriage by 9. The dowry is given to the family in exchange for the woman (who becomes his slave) and for the purchase of the private parts of the woman, to use her as a toy.

Even though a woman is abused, she can not obtain a divorce. To prove rape, the woman must have (4) male witnesses. Often after a woman has been raped, she is returned to her family and the family must return the dowry. The family has the right to execute her (an honor killing) to restore the honor of the family. Husbands can beat their wives 'at will' and the man does not have to say why he has beaten her.

The husband is permitted to have 4 wives and a temporary wife for an hour (prostitute) at his discretion.

The Shariah Muslim law controls the private as well as the public life of the woman.

In the Western World ( America ) Muslim men are starting to demand Shariah Law so the wife can not obtain a divorce and he can have full and complete control of her. It is amazing and alarming how many of our sisters and daughters attending American Universities are now marrying Muslim men and submitting themselves and their children unsuspectingly to the Shariah law.

By passing this on, enlightened American women may avoid becoming a slave under Shariah Law.

Ripping the West in Two. Author and lecturer Nonie Darwish says the goal of radical Islamists is to impose Shariah law on the world, ripping Western law and liberty in two.

She recently authored the book, Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law.

Darwish was born in Cairo and spent her childhood in Egypt and Gaza before immigrating to America in 1978, when she was eight years old. Her father died while leading covert attacks on Israel . He was a High-ranking Egyptian military officer stationed with his family in Gaza.

When he died, he was considered a "shahid," a martyr for jihad. His posthumous status earned Nonie and her family an elevated position in Muslim society.

But Darwish developed a skeptical eye at an early age. She questioned her own Muslim culture and upbringing. She converted to Christianity after hearing a Christian preacher on television.

In her latest book, Darwish warns about creeping sharia law - what it is, what it means, and how it is manifested in Islamic countries.

For the West, she says radical Islamists are working to impose sharia on the world. If that happens, Western civilization will be destroyed. Westerners generally assume all religions encourage a respect for the dignity of each individual. Islamic law (Sharia) teaches that non-Muslims should be subjugated or killed in this world.

Peace and prosperity for one's Children is not as important as assuring that Islamic law rules everywhere in the Middle East and eventually in the world.

While Westerners tend to think that all religions encourage some form of the golden rule, Sharia teaches two systems of ethics - one for Muslims and another for non-Muslims. Building on tribal practices of the seventh century, Sharia encourages the side of humanity that wants to take from and subjugate others.

While Westerners tend to think in terms of religious people developing a personal understanding of and relationship with God, Sharia advocates executing people who ask difficult questions that could be interpreted as criticism.

It's hard to imagine, that in this day and age, Islamic scholars agree that those who criticize Islam or choose to stop being Muslim should be executed. Sadly, while talk of an Islamic reformation is common and even assumed by many in the West, such murmurings in the Middle
East are silenced through intimidation.

While Westerners are accustomed to an increase in religious tolerance over time, Darwish explains how petro dollars are being used to grow an extremely intolerant form of political Islam in her native Egypt and elsewhere.

In twenty years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.S. To elect the President by themselves! Rest assured they will do so... You can look at how they have taken over several towns in the USA .. Dearborn Mich. Is one... And there are others...

I think everyone in the U.S. Should be required to read this, but with the ACLU, there is no way this will be widely publicized, unless each of us sends it on!

It is too bad that so many are disillusioned with life and Christianity to accept Muslims as peaceful.. Some may be but they have an army that is willing to shed blood in the name of Islam.. the peaceful support the warriors with
their finances and own kind of patriotism to their religion. While America is getting rid of Christianity from all public sites and erasing God from the lives of children the Muslims are planning a great jihad on America ..

This is your chance to make a difference...! Pass it on to your email list or at least those you think will listen..
Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #5800
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
I had never heard of crating dogs, or cats, until living in the US. yet they all seemed to get house trained just fine.
It strikes me as bizarre and cruel, it's a cultural thing, the people I know with dogs they seem to be OK.

I saw this on one those dog training shows, quite possible the one with the English woman.

Submissive Urination
That ran across my mind too, but I don't see any of the other signs of submission. Its both urination and defecation, at random. I don't usually see her do it, but I'll know a spot was clean, and then a little bit later she'll have dirtied it. Maybe she's mad at me or is marking territory.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #5801
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Have you tried leashing her to you when you are home? I did it with Pico when I first brought him home and I did see a result after a while. (He just isn't consistent - being the silly chihuahua that he is)
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #5802
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:

Submissive Urination
I disagree. I can't speak to cats, but

dogs ≠ people

Dogs are den animals and, in general, like confined spaces. See UT's post about his dog burrowing under his pillow.

If you can train your dog without using a kennel, more power to you. I assume you have the leisure of spending every waking moment with your pup.

But a kennel is invaluable in keeping the puppy from making mistakes. If you can't watch the puppy every moment the dog is awake, then keeping it in the kennel (when you can't keep an eye on it) is the more humane thing to do.

I've raised three dogs this way. They've all been happy dogs and the only time they have ever had a mistake in the house is when they've been sick.

OTOH, anything can be abused. Keeping your dog in the kennel when it is unnecessary, is as bad as dumping your kids in front of a tv as a babysitter.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #5803
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
That ran across my mind too, but I don't see any of the other signs of submission. Its both urination and defecation, at random. I don't usually see her do it, but I'll know a spot was clean, and then a little bit later she'll have dirtied it. Maybe she's mad at me or is marking territory.
There's a lot of possibilities. Sick? Abandonment issues (have you been gone more than usual)? Your vet or a good dog book will have more on the subject.

Make sure you use an odor neutralizer (not an odor masker) available at any pet store. Dogs want to go where they've gone before. The odor neutralizer actually modifies the urine/bm smell by breaking the traces down chemically.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #5804
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Dogs don't miind crating. They like to have a place of their own; if it's enclosed like a cave, they like it better.

Funny story and too-much-information time. I crate-trained Pearl, and she still has her crate but the only time it's useful is when J and I are, you know, doin' it

You don't want your dog interrupting

NSFW BELOW! NSFW BELOW! I AM NOT KIDDING! NSFW!!!! DO NOT SCROLL DOWN UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE A BJ IN ACTION! It IS AN ANIMATED GIF!

Yeah. You don't want your dog interrupting.

So I crate Pearl before. She knows the word "crate" so it's easy.

Now the funny bit. J and I are getting romantic on a whim while downstairs on the couch. And so we head upstairs. I wonder where Pearl is, so she can be crated. I call her. No answer. I start downstairs but I realize... Pearl is in her crate. She has sensed what is going on and has crated herself.

Good dog!!!

Pearl has never been the most intelligent dog, but she is always sensitive to the needs of the pack, a kind of intelligence that we don't measure.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #5805
monster
I hear them call the tide

DO they make crates for kids?

Tags
swiss