Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #3826
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

ooooh.. I hope that's a Rick Roll!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #3827
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Didn't get a "first day of school" photo for either kid, especially disappointing in the case of Minifob because making it into mainstream Kindergarten was one of the major goals we've been fighting for the last two years.

The reason we didn't get any photos is because Minifobette freaked the fuck out when she saw that I'd put name stickers on her sippy cups, as required by the school. They are industrial grade, made to withstand dishwashers, so she had a hell of a time ripping it off, which made her even madder, and meant she was still unfed and melting down when the bus arrived. So Minifob got scurried onto the bus alone, while I continued getting Minifobette back to a stable place and took her to school in person 25 minutes later.

BUT! I am not so sentimental that it is upsetting me, only mildly irritating. I will just make do with "Second Day of School" photos this year.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #3828
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

or, you could shoot for a "First Day of School Where Things Went Well" picture.

Good luck to the scale model Fobs, and to you Clod.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #3829
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It's weird what makes kids freak out.

My son freaked once because there were NO sprinkles on the poptarts.

He also freaked out when the pizza we'd ordered came cut in squares and not triangles.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #3830
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Thank you so much for your stories. My nephew always get criticized for freaking out when things aren't the way he's used to. Now I know it's okay and I'm sure kids will get over this phase.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #3831
Mad Professor
Belt Conveyor

"Every time I looked around, the walls moved in a little tighter"

yes boredom is mildly irritating me today, been off with a bad back for 3 weeks,
but I think I'm on the mend allelujah.

there's only so many youtube vids you can watch.

Lo Fidelity Allstars
Mad Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #3832
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny
Thank you so much for your stories. My nephew always get criticized for freaking out when things aren't the way he's used to. Now I know it's okay and I'm sure kids will get over this phase.
Ah, well, kinda... don't forget my daughter has a neurological diagnosis and attends behavioral therapy 15 hours per week. But as long as your nephew's freaking out is normal freaking out and not "attacking anything he can get his hands on" freaking out, I'm sure it is indeed okay.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #3833
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Ah, well, kinda... don't forget my daughter has a neurological diagnosis and attends behavioral therapy 15 hours per week. But as long as your nephew's freaking out is normal freaking out and not "attacking anything he can get his hands on" freaking out, I'm sure it is indeed okay.
Tiger needs to have his sandwiches cut the same way or he will not eat them.
He is "better" at school, he will take tiny mouthfuls off other people's plates, whereas at home he won't have different foods even touching eachother.

His eating habits have been improving for years. But he is still very wary of change.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #3834
monster
I hear them call the tide

7am yoga on Saturdays.

I get that the swim team has to practice at 6am weekdays. I even get that they have to practice at 8am at the weekends -after that, the pool is rentable.

But surely they can Yoge any time? Why add Yoga to the schedule BEFORE the Sat am practice?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #3835
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Hmm.....well, his dad calls him Monk. On his recent visit to the doctor, the doc suggested getting him tested for..??? I don't really know for sure because both parents can't seem to really tell us what the doc said. My brother said the doctor wants to get him tested to see if he can understand language on the normal level. When I asked the mother, she said, "The doctor said...mumble..mumble." My sister said, "A psych evaluation?" She replied, "Yes, something like that." Well, as long as he does okay in school and get along with other people, I am not gonna get worried about it.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #3836
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Time has a way of changing our perceptions. And things you loved as a kid, often turn out to be no big deal or even fairly heinous when you revisit it as an adult.

Due to my Crohn's disease, I haven't had potato chips since the 80s. With the surgery, I've been able to eat things that would have caused problems before, so yesterday I bought a bag of Lays potato chips.

What a disappointment. I remember enjoying potato chips, but these things were just nasty. Most of the chips were made from potatoes that obviously hadn't lived right - definitely undersized. Most of the chips had potato skin on them. Many of them were overcooked (brown rather than golden). And they weren't very crispy.

Maybe there's better potato chips out there, but my current attitude is meh.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3837
monster
I hear them call the tide

I eat Lays potato chips all the time (too much) and love them, but they don't look anything like you describe.

Trader Joes sell really good chips, maybe the are more like what you were craving. I haven't found anyone who doeasn't like Trader Joe's chips.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #3838
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I gotta say: Lays Potato Chips really aren't very good.

My mom will pick up an extra bag and give it to me:

1) Like I NEED a big bag of chips laying around.
2) I grew up eating Mike-Sells. Why is she buying Frito-lay? Mike-sells are the BEST. Don't eat if you're allergic to peanuts or peanut oil.
3) If you're going to buy Frito-lay, buy some Fritos and jalapeno cheddar dip!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #3839
glatt

Around here, Utz makes the best snack food, IMHO. Especially tortilla chips.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #3840
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It turns out that the 'rents changing dinner times are simply because it depends when Dad gets hungry.
So he is almost completely emasculated in every other way but he gets to choose when dinner is. Yeah, right.

This explains how Mum can tear a strip off me for not starting dinner on time, on the afternoon I fell asleep (SHE was hungry), eat at 18.00 (yesterday) and 19.00 on other days.

I'm starving, but she's cooking tonight.
It's going to be 18.45 earliest.

I had honestly forgotten, because when I am eating alone I eat at 17.00, to make sure I am not eating when Mum is cooking.
When we eat together I cook for 18.30 as a compromise.
Tonight, Dad's not even having the same meal as us - he's having something shop-bought. But Mum says "He doesn't like to eat alone." Fair enough. I'm pretty sure he hates the way you shout at him when he hasn't heard what you've asid as well, can't see you changing that.

ETA - I usually cook for the two of us, or three if Dad fancies it.
I like cooking.

I'm just moaning about the bizarre rules set, which change every day.
I'm just moaning.

Tags
mild cheddar