The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

I'm more concerned with Goldman Sachs' continued ownership of economic policy. I don't think that's what Trump's voters were looking for.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Donald Trump’s transition team wants the Energy Department to provide the names of any employees who have worked on President Barack Obama’s climate initiatives — a request that has current and former staffers fearing an oncoming “witch hunt.”

The president-elect’s team sought the information as part of a 74-point questionnaire that also asked for details about how DOE’s statistical arm, the Energy Information Administration, does the math on issues such as the cost-effectiveness of wind and solar power versus fossil fuels. POLITICO obtained the document Friday, after Trump’s advisers sent it to the department earlier in the week.
link
Old 12-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I don't think that's what Trump's voters were looking for.
Of course they were. Because they were not thinking. They voted for their emotions. What is evil yesterday is good today - when one is emotional. When one is an adult still thinking like a child, then what was known yesterday means little to that child today.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
I'm more concerned with Goldman Sachs' continued ownership of economic policy. I don't think that's what Trump's voters were looking for.
Yeah. It wasn't a case of low class, it was a case of ignorance.

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is an initative that would fix the problem without a constitutional ammendament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact
Old 12-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #20
Pamela
Deplorable

Of course, why obey the Constitution when you can just do an end run around it whenever you don't get what you want?

Peter Skurkiss has a good take on this.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #21
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
Of course, why obey the Constitution when you can just do an end run around it whenever you don't get what you want?
This is actually kind of funny. Without context, this quote can be used to describe any number of things I've seen in recent years done by your team.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Pam, how can you support a party that has declared war on the LGBTQ community (among other groups)?
Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #23
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Ha! Ask Caitlyn Jenner.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #24
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Yeh, remember how crazy republicans got when Obama had three Generals in his first cabinet?
me neither.
Two minutes in the penalty box for Tu Quoque Fallacy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque
Quote:
Tu quoque (/tjuːˈkwoʊkwiː/;[1] Latin for, "you also") or the appeal to hypocrisy is an informal logical fallacy that intends to discredit the validity of the opponent's logical argument by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with its conclusion(s).

Tu quoque "argument" follows the pattern:

Person A makes claim X.
Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
Therefore X is false.[2]
An example would be

Peter: "Based on the arguments I have presented, it is evident that it is morally wrong to use animals for food or clothing."
Bill: "But you are wearing a leather jacket and you have a roast beef sandwich in your hand! How can you say that using animals for food and clothing is wrong?"[2]
It is a fallacy because the moral character or past actions of the opponent are generally irrelevant to the logic of the argument.[3] It is often used as a red herring tactic and is a special case of the ad hominem fallacy, which is a category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of facts about the person presenting or supporting the claim or argument.[4]
Old 12-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Drops gloves/ Guess you don't remember that either./circles foot3
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #26
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I honestly wasn't paying attention; I didn't know there was going to be a test.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #27
Pamela
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Pam, how can you support a party that has declared war on the LGBTQ community (among other groups)?
I'd like to see that declaration in the record. Who voted for it? When was the vote?

There is no war on the LGBT community. They are simply not getting everything they demand, which is way more than they need.

Yes, I am part of that group, but I have been deemed a heretic for refusing to recognize more than two genders, refusing to use silly pronouns which do not exist in grammar (zie etc) and daring to use common sense when thinking for myself.

When I cast my vote for President, I voted for the person I thought was best to lead the entire country in many topics, not just one or two. I feel that it would have been irresponsible to vote based on "feelings" or against anyone (impossible to vote against a person, only a ballot question).

I have very few LGBT friends these days.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #28
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Peter: "Based on the arguments I have presented, it is evident that it is morally wrong to use animals for food or clothing."
Bill: "But you are wearing a leather jacket and you have a roast beef sandwich in your hand! How can you say that using animals for food and clothing is wrong?"[2]
It is a fallacy because the moral character or past actions of the opponent are generally irrelevant to the logic of the argument.[3] It is often used as a red herring tactic and is a special case of the ad hominem fallacy, which is a category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of facts about the person presenting or supporting the claim or argument.
Sort of, unless you're not arguing the basic logic of the argument, but rather the double standard itself. It's not Peter saying that animal products are morally wrong, it's Peter saying, "I won't allow Bill to use animal products" but continuing to use them himself. In that case it doesn't matter if animal products are morally acceptable or not, the primary problem is the injustice.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
I think he'd look better in a military soft top.
We actually own a VW Thing (my wife and her two siblings) and are in the process of selling it. It was her mom's.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #30
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
I have very few LGBT friends these days.
If I'm not mistaken, this makes Pamela at least the 3rd transgender woman on Cellar that is also conservative. Just an interesting observation...nothing more.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote