The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #106
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

I take my smoke breaks driving from building to building when I go close out workorders placed by the people at the buildings. When they have lights out and things like that. Techincally my job title is building engineer.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #107
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ooh, I get it now -- you're the manliest man some of these chicks see, in their women-centric cushy office jobs. You're the guy who comes around every once in a while and is willing to get on a ladder and lift the suspended ceiling to see where the AC leak is. And if they have guys around, they are cushy metrosexual office guys, who don't even know how to lift a suspended ceiling.

So you're like the women's designated "dangerous guy target", and a certain percentage of women are kinda driven to go after that. And the bad news is, the ones who go after that with the most desperation are also the ones most likely to be totally nuts.

Refer them to the UPS guy. He's single, and he's got thighs to last all night.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #108
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

Funny but yeah that's pretty much how it is. And yeah I do that sort of too and I fix their desks too when they have power issues with their cubes so I have to crawl under their desks and stuff.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #109
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

And yes there are some that are kinda nuts that's why it was funny when someone said I must work at a female looney bin.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #110
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

But I do really really like my job. There's a lot of chill time and I get to work with my hands and they pay isn't to shabby either. There is good money in mynline of work specially if you re HVAC certified which I am.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #111
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's funny because I kind of thought, if I had to do it over again, HVAC. At first I thought electrician, because I've always liked hardware and circuits. But then I realized, in HVAC you have to know pretty much everything: electrical, mechanical, all kinds of construction, a little plumbing even. It has to be valuable.

So the other day I had AC trouble, and the guy who runs his own HVAC business came out. And I asked him about how it must be hard to do HVAC, because you have to know everything. Yeah, he said, it's impossible to find good people. Tells me a story.

At one point he was working with a guy, trying to run a pipe from the basement to the first floor. He wasn't exactly sure where he'd wind up when drilling through the basement ceiling, but he made the very best measurements he could, and put an X on the ceiling where he thought it should go. Then he told his assistant: I'm not sure where the hole will be, but I'll walk up to the first floor, you drill on the X, and I'll watch for the drill coming through.

So he goes up and watches the spot where he thinks it will land, and he hears the drill going... but he never sees anything. He goes back down to his assistant to find out WTF, and the guy has drilled the hole about a foot and a half away from where the X is marked.

Asks him what the hell, and the guy just shrugs... I thought that would be a better spot...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #112
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

My background was originally in plumbing. I did that for about 6 years. And I kind of fell into this job which they paid to have me HVAC certified. And they upped my salary as soon as a get the cert. Which was awesome I have been doing it for about 2 years now and it's great and a good percentage of the time I don't have to work on the units because they are under warranty I only so far do small stuff like change the filters and clean out the coils and I do have to respond to some alarms after hours every now and again. So it's not too bad. I mainly handle plumbing issues and or water leaks and some electrical problems. It's an awesome job....an oh yeah did i mention it pays very well.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #113
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

The story is awesome.....Maybe even classic people do some stupid shit sometimes.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #114
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Waitaminnit! HE's the one that's been harrassed, and yet it's HIS future at the firm that is under threat!?!?!?

Oh, yeah, that's the way it usually works if it's a woman being harrassed, I s'pose ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Ha ha real funny dude. Its always funny when it isnt you being screwed over.
He-ey Mr ThatGuy, I'm actually on your side. I was genuinely thinking how unjust that your job should be threatened by this woman's inappropriate sexual overtures to you. But I was also genuinely making the point that women suffer this wrong-thinking and no-one notices. "Oh, you're asecretary and your boss is coming on to you and HR won't help? Well, you'll just have to look for another job". Whut?!?!?!?
(By the way I'm a girlie!).
Old 08-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #115
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

Oh ok got cha sorry. Oh and your a girl too man i feel like a douche now.....sorry bout that. But yeah i get your point now. But after hearing the advice of some folks here and being told that i might be getting canned in the near future i decided to go up to the HR manger again today and he has let me know that there is a possiblity that "she" will be transferring to another location very soon because she is getting promoted!!! WTF!!! He couldnt tell me where of course...But its out of Florida!!!! I think i just lucked out. Because i really like my job.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #116
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
... Because i really like my job.
You didn't mention - does it pay well?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #117
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

Oh really i didnt mention??? And i forgot to say that it pays well????
Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #118
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'm sorry, I didn;t quite catch that: did you say it pays quite poorly?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #119
ThatGuy
Keeper of the Decorum

Oh what you didnt catch that either. What! Ok give me a few mintues and i will write the whole thing over again
Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #120
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

This post was deleted for many reasons.