The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #4081
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I am irritated at myself for being irritated by this but doing nothing about it.
I registered on QVC to buy a single item as a gift.
I get it - you have to register, fine. I can always cancel my registration, but I may as well keep it in case there is something else at some point I would like to buy.

Now the chap I registered with was pleasant enough.
But obviously hard of hearing or of understanding.
He registered my first name as Shery.
What? That's not even a name!
I have a clear speaking voice. I do not gabble on the phone. I have worked in a call-centre, I leave pauses for people to type and/ or make noises to indicate I can continue.

Shery?
Idiot.

Anyway, months later I get emails addressed to Shery.
And every time I do it irritates me.

I refer you to the line in italics above.
Sigh.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #4082
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I sometimes purposefully mispell my name on forms so later I can tell where the junk mail originated.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #4083
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I did that recently!
I gave my maiden name. No-one has referred to me by that name for over a decade.

I WILL KNOW.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #4084
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Notice that I purposefully misspelled misspell.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #4085
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Some problem with the graphics card on this PC (not a virus thank goodness) means we might be shut down for a while

Promise to miss me!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #4086
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

A blanket (not a good one thank fsm, because a bunch of threads got pulled and it's basically junk now) somehow caught on my dryer lint screen shield part and ripped a big piece off. There's a parts center online for Sears (a Kenmore), and it might be replaceable. Catch: I can't find the model number. It's probably on the back and this thing (a stackable w/d) is basically set back into a closet with drawers built in next to it. I can't even imagine pulling it out of there.

There might be a manual around here...it was part of the purchase and was here with the previous owners.

I just really can't have one more thing break in this place. My friends have fallen through on the deal to fix my bathroom floor...and my kitchen sink. I'm still using a dorm fridge (really why spend the money on a big one when I'm getting by with the smaller one, but still) and there is a leak (comes and goes) in my living room ceiling and a couple other repairs needed.

But I'm going to win the lottery tonight and leave it all behind anyway, so there's that.

Funny how transient I feel, for being an adult and all. Or I'm supposed to be. Sigh...

I think old single women are supposed to ask their dads and brothers for help with these kinds of things, but I just don't want to.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #4087
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Maybe look on craigslist for a general handyman who would work hourly? Down here they're easier to find because they're all illegal, but with the economy the way it is, there's gotta be people looking for work. If it's all small jobs that you're just not up to yourself, you might be able to get everything done for as little as $30-$40.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #4088
infinite monkey

Good advice. I tend to get all bogged down and freaked out...thinking "roofer and plumber and floor-putter-inner" etc.

I think I can hold off until spring and in the meantime I'm going to start putting aside money. Then once a couple other things are taken care of I'll be ready to find someone to help me out with the things I can't do.

The bitch of it is the one of the two guys who was going to do my floor (it needs new sub-flooring too) owes me a couple grand (I helped them when he needed some serious dental work.) However, the one of the two guys who would most likely follow through doesn't owe me anything. Of course, maybe things will settle down for them and they'll be able to do something this spring.

Thanks Clod. Sometimes I just need someone logical to remind me I'm not helping matters by freaking out.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #4089
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Thanks Clod. Sometimes I just need someone logical to remind me I'm not helping matters by freaking out.
Clod is especially good at this, but many Dwellars over the years have fulfilled the same function for me. We Strawberry Festival Queens get a little flakey occasionally. But that's okay, because we're so berrylicious in all other aspects.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #4090
infinite monkey

*giggles*

Thank fsm it takes all kinds to make a world.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #4091
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
A blanket (not a good one thank fsm, because a bunch of threads got pulled and it's basically junk now) somehow caught on my dryer lint screen shield part and ripped a big piece off. There's a parts center online for Sears (a Kenmore), and it might be replaceable. Catch: I can't find the model number. It's probably on the back and this thing (a stackable w/d) is basically set back into a closet with drawers built in next to it. I can't even imagine pulling it out of there.

There might be a manual around here...it was part of the purchase and was here with the previous owners.

I just really can't have one more thing break in this place. My friends have fallen through on the deal to fix my bathroom floor...and my kitchen sink. I'm still using a dorm fridge (really why spend the money on a big one when I'm getting by with the smaller one, but still) and there is a leak (comes and goes) in my living room ceiling and a couple other repairs needed.

But I'm going to win the lottery tonight and leave it all behind anyway, so there's that.

Funny how transient I feel, for being an adult and all. Or I'm supposed to be. Sigh...

I think old single women are supposed to ask their dads and brothers for help with these kinds of things, but I just don't want to.
http://fixitnow.com/ <--check it out, you must.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #4092
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

I.M. , i can be the attachment you screw on the bed to get the house repairs done!

srsly tho, fixitnow or a handyman looks good
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #4093
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
I.M. , i can be the attachment you screw on the bed to get the house repairs done!

srsly tho, fixitnow or a handyman looks good
Thanks for the link, foot.

And putheljinks, everything comes with a price...not one I'm willing to pay. But thanks for thinking of me.

Seriously, you all rock.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #4094
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
That's a cool website (and pretty funny.) I'm already getting close to finding the part I need...just need a little more time to research.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #4095
glatt

Name:  opo.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  51.6 KB
The historic Old Post Office building in Washington DC is a beautiful old building owned by the taxpayers. It has a tower you can go up for free and see the sights of the city. The views are spectacular. I go there 2-3 times a year on my lunch hour and just look at the view.
Name:  opo1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  30.9 KB
Name:  opo2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  61.4 KB

Well, the federal government just gave the building to Donald Trump. He's going to make it into a Trump Hotel. The pompous ass.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar