The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #106
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Maybe Britain can exit the EU in principle; but, not in actuality and call it "Brexit with Honor."
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #107
monster
I hear them call the tide

Is coming out of the EU like coming out of the closet?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #108
sexobon

Coming out of the closet, stumbling across the hallway, and falling down the stairs.

The Brexiteers are going to need their own nightclubs.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #109
sexobon

Awwww ...

Quote:
LONDON — President-elect Donald Trump has given Brexiteers hope that there will be a bilateral trade deal in the offing as British Prime Minister Theresa May prepares to give a speech expected to signal that Britain is ready to make a clean break with the European Union.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Times of London, Trump praised Britain’s decision to leave the European Union and said that the United States would “very quickly” draw up a trade deal with the United Kingdom once it leaves the bloc.

“I’m a big fan of the U.K., we’re going to work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly,” Trump said in an interview with Michael Gove, a Conservative politician and prominent Brexiteer. Gove is also a columnist for the newspaper.

A speedy U.S.-U.K. trade deal, Trump said, would be good for the United States and the United Kingdom, and he added that he plans to meet with May shortly after he takes office Friday.

“I will be meeting with [Theresa May] — in fact, if you want, you can see the letter, wherever the letter is, she just sent it. She’s requesting a meeting and we’ll have a meeting right after I get into the White House and . . . we’re gonna get something done very quickly,” he said in the interview, conducted at Trump Tower in New York. ...
... cont'd.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #110
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
“I’m a big fan of the U.K., we’re going to work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly,” Trump said in an interview with Michael Gove, a Conservative politician and prominent Brexiteer.
As soon as those pesky Scots stop fucking with his golf courses.

edit, told you so.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 01-16-2017 at 11:01 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #111
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

We have now moved from Bexit to Brexodus. Destruction of the British economy has begun.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #112
Pi
desperate finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
We have now moved from Bexit to Brexodus. Destruction of the British economy has begun.
Oh well, bring it on : https://www.ft.com/content/72a98d1e-...5-c9357a75844a
Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #113
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Financial Times cannot be read without a subscription.

I asked various bank management people where they would move. I expected Frankfort as a most likely center. With Dublin or Paris as alternatives. Some completely surprised me - Belgium will be the new European home of one major US bank.

A banking center in Britain could also service 27 other countries. No longer. Worse place to run operations from will be Britian. To anyone with an education, that was obvious.

GM is continuing to sell off capital assets so that top management can claim big bonuses by creating a (fictionally creating) profit. Next to go will probably be Opel (also known as Vauxhall). Car parts are made throughout Europe. Assembled in Britain. Then sold elsewhere. No longer. Those part both incoming and assembled cars outgoing will be subject to tariffs. So most car production in Britain will close. This is good according to so many Brits; especially in the Midlands.

Best is for Scotland to succeed from Britain before Brexodus happens. Otherwise Scotland will be punished for the stupidity of so many in England. No wonder so many in England like Donald Trump.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #114
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Reuters
Quote:
Earlier this month, PSA Group agreed to buy Opel from GM in a deal valuing the business at 2.2 billion euros ($2.3 billion), helping the French firm to become Europe's second largest automaker by sales.

"This will allow the group to conquer the rest of the world step by step. This remains an important goal for PSA," Jean-Philippe Peugeot said in a joint interview together with his cousin Robert Peugeot.
Detroit News
Quote:
Ford Motor Co. will invest 600 million euros ($644 million) in its Saarlouis Vehicle Assembly Operations in Germany, where the company will make its next-generation Focus.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #115
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I think I would be on the Remain side whilst secretly wanting to preserve what is uniquely British. (Cheddar, Her Maj, and football hooliganism. Well do keep the cheese)
Headline: "Humble block of cheddar cheese amongst Brexit's first victims" I thought, the fuck! Did somebody read my post or something? Then I noticed: Irish cheddar. Right, eff them! There's no particular need to import Irish cheddar is there? No! British cheddar has actually been defended.

And as far as the pull quote "Nobody else eats Cheddar, it can't be diverted off to France," You could leave EU and join with Britain, only then it would be BR/IE... and once again with the cheese...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #116
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Scotland will split off and join Newfoundland. They're closer than the US mainland and Hawaii.
You heard it here first... or 5th... or 50th.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #117
tw

Prime Minister May will now demand that Ireland pay for the wall. Did she and Brexit extremists not say that yet?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #118
Pamela
Deplorable

The second most common phrase in British history is, "We've have finally solved the Irish problem once and for all." The most common phrase is, "What do you mean, the Irish are in revolt, again?"

h/t Mike Konrad
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #119
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've frequently hear the Irish are revolting.