The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I know this is going to sound bad,...

...and politically incorrect, and racist, and unfeeling and all that, but...

You know it's bad when Texas is advertising in Louisiana to get rid of evacuees.

They put a commercial on local channels for WorkInTexas.com.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't follow you. The link is for Texas jobs. What's that got to do with LA?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I don't understand. Work In Texas is a state program connected to the unemployment office. They get you job training and job placement. They're generally very effective and one of the few good uses of tax money for social programs... Was the ad particularly patronizing or something?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think that campaign is a fine way to keep people from sucking off the government tit.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

My point was that they are buying time on Louisiana television stations and targeting Louisiana people in an effort to get them to move back. The commercial comes out and asks Louisiana employers to hire the La people back so they'll move back to La.

It shows a bunch of La businesses with help wanted signs and asks them to go to the Work in Texas sight to find people from La.

Is there no unemployment in Texas?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Enough that they don't need Louisiana's on top of theirs, I expect.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
My point was that they are buying time on Louisiana television stations and targeting Louisiana people in an effort to get them to move back. The commercial comes out and asks Louisiana employers to hire the La people back so they'll move back to La.

It shows a bunch of La businesses with help wanted signs and asks them to go to the Work in Texas sight to find people from La.

Is there no unemployment in Texas?
Oh, OK! The link is just to the Texas job site, doesn't mention that other stuff. Well, I imagine Texas has enough problems of its own without taking on its neighbor's unemployed folks. Although, if they're Katrina victims, wouldn't Texas agencies qualify for some sort of Federal funding through FEMA? Maybe not enough to make Texas feel better about the whole thing from what you're telling us.

I know that able bodied Katrina victims have gobbled up all Colorado's Housing Voucher's for the disabled (yes, we have Katrina refugees even way up here). Coloradoans in even more need than the Katrina folk have been shoved even further to the back of the line after waiting for one, or two, or three years. Maybe Colorado should start running some of those same ads as Texas does.