The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Am I the only one...

...here who hates the holidays?

Every year I'm either forced to take time off and miss work or if I'm off and have stuff that needs to be done everything is closed. Not to mention the traffic, the lines, the unusually high idiot factor and the goddamn christmas music!

Seriously though, the thing that pisses me off the most is the expectation of my willing and joyful participation.

Am I alone in the wild on this one?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I like Christmas. I like Thanksgiving. I even like some Christmas music. Really, I do.

What I absolutely loathe and detest is a whole fucking month or more (and it's getting to be much more) of the above.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Go back to your caves!!!

I love it all..... well except for the massive amounts of money it takes to make it through the next two months.

'scuse me - I gotta go change into my holiday sweater.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
marichiko

One down, and two to go. Excuse me, now. I need to go put up my chorus line of dancing Santa's in my front yard flipping everyone the bird.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The time between Thanksgiving and New Year's is my favorite time of the year. By the end of November, I need a break from 70+ hour weeks.

I stay out of the mall so don't hear all that much Christmas music but I sure feel sorry for the people that work there. I'd go certifiable if I had to hear that stuff 8 hours a day for six weeks.

I'm not sure what to say about your bristling over the expectation of joyful participation. "Bah humbug" comes in and out of vogue every so often so maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be cool to hate Christmas this year.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:22 AM   #6
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
...here who hates the holidays?

Every year I'm either forced to take time off and miss work or if I'm off and have stuff that needs to be done everything is closed. Not to mention the traffic, the lines, the unusually high idiot factor and the goddamn christmas music!

Seriously though, the thing that pisses me off the most is the expectation of my willing and joyful participation.

Am I alone in the wild on this one?
You have two choices so far as I can see. One of those police telephone box thingies that will allow you to jump time whenever there is a holiday looming, or alternatively three vallium and a large bourbon should produce the same result (and be cheaper, and also avoid your possibly/probably encountering unwelcome visitors like Daleks and such) - actually make that five vallium and three large Bourbons - some of these holidays embrace weekends....
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I like the weather so much this time of year that the materialistic build-up to Christmas doesn't bother me. I know I can always walk off the mad frenzy of the city centre on my way home across the park.

I do dislike the period between Christmas & New Year though. I spend Christmas with my family, and its crowded, noisy, familiar and just slightly over-heated. Once Boxing Day is over I know I'm getting on the coach and going back to a cold empty flat and back to work - which is practically an empty office at this time of year.

I will then spend New Years Eve on my own. That's mostly through choice as the only ones I've ever enjoyed have been when I've been working (behind a bar). Its easier to sit in with some beers & watch TV. But it does mean as soon as I leave my parents' house i feel I have nothing to look forward to.

Hmmmmmmmmm. A bit self-pitying, sorry. I just meant to say I love November/ December & I love Christmas!

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:03 AM   #8
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I, well actually we, enjoy Christmas most times - in the past it has been a bit of a nightmare preparing and serving dinner to a mix of upto 14 relatives (who don't always help by expecting tea and bickkies when we are still working our way through washing up the pans). But Christmas morning is always special when we grab an hour or two to do the presents round the tree bit.
This year we're spoiling ourselves by returning to a local restaurant for Christmas dinner (sorry all you relatives who now have to make other plans!).

New year we always enjoy, usually go out to or with friends to do something rather than act as hosts. Dinner and Dance this year with oldest pal and his partner, plus a few others.

This year also will be fewer numbers as no. 2 son will be in Oz (watch out Sun Sparkz - he's on his way on Monday! - apartment in Sydney's sorted apparently but haven't been told the details yet - friend Dan who's already there has done the deed!), but makes for the opportunity for an extra 'absent friends' toast - not that we need the excuse!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #9
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
You have two choices so far as I can see. One of those police telephone box thingies that will allow you to jump time whenever there is a holiday looming, or alternatively three vallium and a large bourbon should produce the same result (and be cheaper, and also avoid your possibly/probably encountering unwelcome visitors like Daleks and such) - actually make that five vallium and three large Bourbons - some of these holidays embrace weekends....
Hmmm... Your suggestion would leave me either passed out on the kitchen floor for the next 6 weeks or else stuck in a phone booth with 5 Monica Lewinsky's. I'm afraid you'll have to do better than that.

By the way, TS, if you want an antidote to all that Christmas music. Click on this link and scroll down to the bottom to hear what will surely become a classic in years to come. Try it!

Last edited by marichiko; 11-25-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:37 AM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
. . . I need to go put up my chorus line of dancing Santa's in my front yard flipping everyone the bird.
You know you've got to post a picture of that!!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote