The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #16
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
how did I become my father?
This has to be the universal question of all parents*. In my case it's my seemingly unending lectures about the fact that my little monsters seem completely incapable of the absorbing the concept that they have to CLOSE THE DOOR when it's 30 degrees outside. (That's 30 F, smartasses.)

*Maybe nonparents too, but I only ever get those twinges when I'm trying to get my kids to do or not do something I used to not do or do.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Ok, here you go: doctor said, PBJ? No upper limit. Let him eat them. Great. One fewer things to worry over.
PARENT ~ Sometimes it's easier to just let kids have what they want to avoid whining kids.
DOCTOR ~ Sometimes it's easier to tell parents to let the kid have what they want, to avoid whining parents.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #18
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Regular meals are an impossibility in our house so it's become buy what you want them to have and "Root hog, or die."
Old 01-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #19
chimmichunga
Soylent Greenhorn

Ahhh, the "Clean Your Plate" club. Hard habit to break, thanks Grandma.
chimmichunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There are still children starving in China, aren't there?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #21
marichiko

I never got the starving children in where-ever routine. I got the "there is no other option" routine. I wasn't forced to clean my plate, but if I didn't eat my dinner and I got hungry, I could have hot milk with bread dipped in it. Period. My mother was Swiss and didn't believe in American food. I would be amazed when I went over to my little pals' homes and they had stuff like cookies or even peanut butter. My Mom refused to buy sweets (my Dad would sometimes sneak them home), soft drinks, peanut butter, or cold cereal. I had to eat either oatmeal or soft boiled eggs for breakfast and I DID have to eat breakfast, I got a thermos of soup and some fruit for lunch, and dinner was usually hamburger or pork chops, rice or potatoes and a veggie. No dessert. Like it or go hungry.

The kid in the OP would have died of starvation by age 3 if he'd grown up at my house.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #22
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I never got the starving children in where-ever routine.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #23
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
There are still children starving in China, aren't there?
There shouldn't be, I remember sending the food I couldn't/wouldn't finish on my plate, so that should have taken care of that, right?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

This thread is bringing up soooo many food issues for me. At my house you had to eat with your arm around your plate, guarding it, if you will, because my father would say, in a booming voice, "NOT GONNA EAT THAT?!!" and before you could even begin to formulate your response, he'd have your dinner forked and in his mouth.

My father sired three girls. He was a big man.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #25
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
..... but if I didn't eat my dinner and I got hungry, I could have hot milk with bread dipped in it.
OMG! You too? Is that a Swiss thing? With sugar sprinkled on it? The momster used to give me that when I was pre-school, if I was still hungry before bed. Kinda like "comfort food". But I never heard of anybody else doing that
Old 01-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #26
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
OMG! You too? Is that a Swiss thing? With sugar sprinkled on it? The momster used to give me that when I was pre-school, if I was still hungry before bed. Kinda like "comfort food". But I never heard of anybody else doing that
Yep, its Swiss! The momster in my case would sometimes allow me hot milk with honey in it, but same idea. Oh, and sometimes, if I was very lucky, I might be allowed a cup of Ovaltine. Usually it was hot milk and bread, though. I think the first time I ate a french fry, I must have been15 or 16 when I bought a plate of them at the local Woolworth lunch counter (don't tell the momster! )
Old 01-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #27
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
I never got the starving children in where-ever routine.
You must go here and read the lyrics to Alan Sherman's "Hail to Thee Fat Person' routine.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #28
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
...sneep...I think the first time I ate a french fry, I must have been15 or 16 when I bought a plate of them at the local Woolworth lunch counter (don't tell the momster! )
OMG! I'd completely forgotten the woolworth's lunch counters! How strange!
Esp. their grilled cheese.

When I was a lad my dad took me to all the places in NYC that he sensed were "going out" so I could experience them before they were gone. I really appreciate that.

Horn and Hardart's Automat, Zum Zum, Chock full of nuts coffee shops, Schraft's, and when we moved from Chicago to NYC he insisted we ride the train, pullman cars, dining cars, it was great. I have only fleeting memories of it, but when I see old movies with x country train scenes, it comes back to me.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #29
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
You must go here and read the lyrics to Alan Sherman's "Hail to Thee Fat Person' routine.
LOL! I did get to hear from the Momster how hard she had it growing up in a little Swiss village in the 30's during the world wide depression. "We got a single tangerine in our stocking for St. Nicholas Day!" (December 6th, when Swiss kids apparently got their goodies handed out ahead of everyone else). "Do you know how much I treasured that single tangerine?" blah, blah, blah! Tangerines aside, the kids in Switzerland were getting all the hot milk and bread their little tummies could hold, so the author of that song was eating for one country too many!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #30
monster
I hear them call the tide

Bread and warm milk was common in the UK too.

OK, back to the OP, sounds like this kid had serious mental health problems. If they managed to bring up 6 other kids to eat reasonable diets, then it can't all be down to the parents. It sounded to me like he would have happily starved if they hadn't given him what he wanted to eat. For most families, the "food battle" is resolved by them getting so hungry they'll try it and find it doesn't kill them. Doesn't sound like this was the case here. Admittedly, they don't sound like the most nutritionally clued-up family either, but I don't think this can have been the sole cause of the boy's dietary problems.

Someone asked why the pediatrician didn't say anything. Children in the UK visit the regular family doctor, not a pediatrician. There are no regular examinations after the age of 2 -you just go when you're sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
I'm not sure of that. This was British food, after all...
The British health system may be partially to blame, but when it comes to the food, let he without sin cast the first stone, so unless you're an expat I suggest you take a look at your own nation's diet first. (It sucks )