The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Good OLDER things that RAN BETTER are being replaced with cheap garbage and its sad people just WILLINGLY accept this trash.... Stuff made in the 50s,etc was MUCH BETTER and ran nicer........

Now those units were the biggest energy hogs,but just like cars,got WORSE in the later 70s..... But I would rather have something OLDER than was made well and runs good then this newer garbage made from 2000 on!!

I have seen people (Even my own parents) take perfectly GOOD things and replace them with something else (Which isnt as good WHICH THEY THINK IS BETTER!) -- Its really sad what the elite have done to people...... (To make them easily managable (Those with WEAK MINDS are most vulnerable))

Here is a list of different coloured appliances,its interesting!

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/c...ppliance&con=m

I think the WHOLE "Green" appliances is about 90% crapola!!

Those things DO NOT RUN WELL and arent reliable at all!!

Some of this older stuff USES LESS POWER than the crap out now!!!!! (And is better)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
glatt

Fixing the old stuff is usually as expensive as buying new, unless you do it yourself. And even then, some stuff isn't really worth fixing.

For the most part, I agree with you though. The boiler in my house is 70 years old and will last another 70 years, easily. It's not energy efficient at all, and I feel badly about that, but I hear all the time about people having problems with their 10 year old HVAC units. Circuit boards getting fried or whatever.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

About 25 years ago, I was visiting my folks and noticed that mom had thrown away her old toaster - the one she got on her wedding day in 1950, and the only toaster my family ever had.

I asked her why she'd thrown it away, was it not working anymore? No, she said it still worked but she threw it out because it was old.

Well, I rescued it from the garbage can and took it home with me. It still works after 68 years. In the meantime, the toaster mom bought to replace the old one crapped out within a year.

Same deal with her ancient electric can opener. I still use that baby every day. Mom had to buy a succession of crappy can openers after that, but none lasted very long.

Same deal with my old electric clothes dryer. It came with my condo (original to the 1974 building). After a few years of using it, the motor started to fail, so I dragged it to a friend's house to put on the curb for an upcoming neighborhood "dead appliance collection day." Then I bought a new electric dryer. Which was a complete piece of shit and super loud. I took the dryer back to the store, then raced over to my friend's house to rescue my old dryer. Found a repair guy who put in a new motor and I'm still using my 44-year-old dryer today. I have an elderly washing machine, too - I think it's about 35 or 40 years old.

That condo also came with the original water heater which worked just fine, but I wanted to get a larger one, so I called around to price a new one. After reading off the serial number to a plumber - several times - he told me he simply could not believe that my perfectly functioning water heater was actually built in 1964. So it was 36 years old at that point.

You're absolutely correct - they just don't make shit like they used to.

Last edited by Glinda; 04-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Here's the thing about those appliances built in the 1950s, though: they were expensive as shit. Wedding registries were invented because it was assumed to be impossible for a young couple--or even that young couple's parents--to purchase even a fraction of the things they would have needed all at once. See here for some sample ads:

Basic 2-slice toaster: $21 in 1951 = $206.32 in 2018
21-inch TV: $339.95 in 1951 = $3,340 in 2018
Washer & Dryer set: $494.90 in 1953 = $4,643.02 in 2018
Electric Can Opener: $16.95 in 1957 = $153.26 in 2018
Hoover Vacuum Cleaner: $79.50 in 1956 = $740.28 in 2018

And you may say, "Ah! But I would gladly pay $200+ for a toaster that lasted!" But you can. There are professional/commercial versions of everything, and in my experience they cost roughly the same as the inflation-adjusted prices above. I paid just over $200 for our waffle iron, and it works like new after nearly 9 years of restaurant-level usage. Meanwhile a shitty waffle iron will cost you $25, which means you could destroy one every single year--and you probably wouldn't, with the average family's usage--and still come out about the same.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #5
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
......For the most part, I agree with you though. The boiler in my house is 70 years old and will last another 70 years, easily. It's not energy efficient at all, and I feel badly about that, but I hear all the time about people having problems with their 10 year old HVAC units. Circuit boards getting fried or whatever.
Tell me about it..... We had a traditional 180º boiler in our house and it started having issues..... IT KEPT LOSING POWER.. The switch needed to be replaced and sadly my father got one of these newer "emergy efficent" things... PIECES OF GARBAGE!!!!!! - - They are so loud and not as good at all in my opinion!!! (Especially this 2nd one we just got a few months ago (The first one started leaking))

People are lied to and are told "AH YOU CAN SAVE MONEY........." and they get this garbage which isnt at all as good.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda
About 25 years ago, I was visiting my folks and noticed that mom had thrown away her old toaster - the one she got on her wedding day in 1950, and the only toaster my family ever had.

I asked her why she'd thrown it away, was it not working anymore? No, she said it still worked but she threw it out because it was old.

Well, I rescued it from the garbage can and took it home with me. It still works after 68 years.
Good for you Glinda!!!!

I hope that stuff keeps working good for ya!!
Old 04-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Since Grandmadigr passed, Momdigr has been using her iron.

It's older than me. I turn 50 this summer.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Happy 50 my friend......Im sorry about grandma
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #8
Squawk
Peoploid

I think a lot of modern stuff has built-in redundancy, especially tech. Computers get more and more powerful but Windows gets slower and slower so you have to keep getting more powerful machines to run it. You can't update the OS on Android phones so you have to get new ones to run the latest apps. The Space Shuttle's primary flight computer had 1MB storage and a clock speed of 1.4 MHz, over a thousand times slower than my laptop I'm using now which takes about 2 minutes just to load Windows.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/s...computers.html

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

didn't get my party invite yet, Grav...
Old 04-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't want to jinx it. Both my grandfathers died at 50.

And if there's a party, I'm pretty sure it'll just be me.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Im so sorry buddy
Old 04-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
The Space Shuttle's primary flight computer had 1MB storage and a clock speed of 1.4 MHz, over a thousand times slower than my laptop I'm using now which takes about 2 minutes just to load Windows.
The naive assumed space exploration created so many high tech products. Space qualified hardware is typically 10 or more years obsolete. For example, a computer in Martian Rovers is an 8086 - a late 1970s technology.

Appliances do not fail because newer stuff is always crap. When business school graduates replace hardware designers, then hardware is unreliable - years later. But it sure is profitable. That (and not that it is new) explains why so many 'green' appliances fail.

Obvious is why. Business school graduates merged those appliance companies. Hotpoint (a lowest end product) is now made on same assembly lines that make KitcheAid. Business school graduates merged those and many more white appliance businesses into one. Profits (not the product and not quality) are only relevant.

Cars designed by engineers now last 20 years. My first Ford and GM cars were rusting out in two years. Why? Business school graduates discovered that not painting inside of doors and fenders would reduce costs - increase profits.

GM still makes obsolete (crappy) V-8 engines. Well, GM suppliers must also supply parts for more reliable foreign manufacturers. Last time I looked, more cars are assembled in America for import manufacturers then for domestic ones. So even GM's quality increased. Because their part suppliers had to increase their quality to supply parts for companies with cars designed by engineers.

I will never forget a conversation with the president of one of GM's part suppliers. He was acidic saying, "GM will show me how to reduce by costs." Even GM employees in that factory complained about parts from that factory failing repeatedly in their GM cars.

Due to requirements such as pollution control, engines are more reliable and cost less to operate - both in fuel and in maintenance. New means better when the industry's products are designed by people who "come from where the work gets done".

When newer products are less reliable, then top management comes from business schools. As so often demonstrated in the TV show "Undercover Boss", too many bosses have no idea how the work gets done. That is now a problem in what was once a very reliable American industry - white appliances. Reliability is why Bosch, Samsung, and LG are growing in the American market.

How did business school graduates pay for their money game mergers? Maytag sold their newest technology to Samsung. Neptune series means Samsung gets more reliable and Maytag earns a less reliable reputation (in the next 10 and 20 years).

To see the resulting damage today, then view spread sheets and market growth numbers 10 and 20 years later. That is when bad management is quantified. Product quality defines that problem much sooner.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
glatt

I'm still looking for a gas range to replace the crap Maytag we have now.

After a conversation with my wife, I have resigned myself to accepting a range with a poorly laid out touchpad screen. After all, as she pointed out, even if the UI is horrible, after using it for a little while I will learn how to use it.

The problem is, after lowering that standard, I'm finding lots of potential winners. Until I read the reviews. When multiple people complain in reviews that the paint on Samsung ranges starts to peel off the cooktop after only a couple months, you have to take notice. When numerous reviewers say that the Kenmores vent oven heat at unusually high temperatures directly onto the touch pad, so you burn yourself when you try to use the controls, you pay attention. Similar problem with the GE's venting onto the metal burner knobs so you need to use potholders to turn the knobs. I've looked at high end Vikings, and they are better, but lack conveniences like a drawer to store your cookie sheets.

It's getting really discouraging. I don't think I am being particular, but obviously I am. I can't find a range at any price that I would be willing to buy. I haven't looked at every one yet. Maybe Amana makes good ones.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Go snap up Mystove.com right now.
Design a better one.
Make it in Minnesota.
"Buy Mystove, you'll be glatt you did."
Retire in luxury.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Maybe Amana makes good ones.
KitchenAid, Maytag and Amana are now same products made by Whirlpool. However it gets more confusing. Some Maytag and Amana product lines have been sold to other companies.

Those companies are being disassembled to increase profits.

GE is a dying company - for so long that is it finally appearing on spread sheets.

Same thing happened when 1950 and 1960s American cars were world's best. Then business school graduates took over in the 1960s. Innovation that did not happen in the 60s meant 70s cars got bad. So bad that an engineer was no longer allowed to innovate unless that innovation was required by Federal regulations.

What happened there in the 1960s is now ongoing in the white appliance industry.

Consumer Reports - and then hope a business school graduate did not recently cost control that product.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote