Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #31
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
74) Squirrelly
99) Squirrely
Should accepted alternate spellings count as separate words?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

What? Are you Crazy?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #33
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
bullshit humor nazi. you forgot your "ftfy".
Woooo, your knickers are in a twist, huh?

Seeing as you are so hot in internet and social etiquette, I thought you'd appreciate my discretion -'cause where I come from we pretend that failures like that just didn't happen, so as to spare the further humiliation of those concerned. Guess you just can't fix some things, huh?

Old 03-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Wait, what!?
I want my Birthday Gifts!

Dagnammit.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #35
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Should accepted alternate spellings count as separate words?
of course. British Squirrels are pronounced and behave quite differently to American ones.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #36
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Hmmmm, if all squirrels eat "nuts" which is slang for "crazy" and where the association between squirrels and "crazy" comes from, it would seem that your argument doesn't make sufficient distinction to be valid. However, seeing is believing so I'll have to grant you this one.
Name:  British Squirrel.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  11.1 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #37
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Woooo, your knickers are in a twist, huh?

Seeing as you are so hot in internet and social etiquette, I thought you'd appreciate my discretion -'cause where I come from we pretend that failures like that just didn't happen, so as to spare the further humiliation of those concerned. Guess you just can't fix some things, huh?

Nah, I'm not upset. I'm just pointing out your poor manners. We and scores of other posters have made thousands upon thousands of posts and this kind of thing isn't done. Just as in real life, it is a lie. A deliberate misattribution. You weren't being "discreet", you were just letting your latent control-freak/superiority-complex flag fly.

You're correcting me in a joke thread? Now *that* is funny.

Last edited by BigV; 03-19-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: corrected homonym spelling error, thanks infinite monkey.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #38
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pompous Professor
Nah, I'm not upset. I'm just pointing out your poor manners. We and scores of other posters have made thousands upon thousands of posts and this kind of thing isn't done. Just as in real life, it is a lie. A deliberate misattribution. You weren't being "discrete", you were just letting your latent control-freak/superiority-complex flag fly.

nb. See 'we'

Who's 'we AND scores of other posters'?

Though monster IS individually distinct, the word you want is 'discreet.' You're welcome.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 03-19-2012 at 11:32 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #39
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
nb. See 'we'

Who's 'we AND scores of other posters'?

--snip
By we I mean me and monster and you and these dwellars.

Thanks for the spelling help. My point, which you don't discuss, is that making discrete changes to another poster's without a N.B. and calling it being discreet is wrong. We don't do that around here.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #40
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Why would I discuss it? I don't care. *shrugs* It was kind of funny. You're just such a sensitive lad.

But using discrete when you mean discreet...just like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Well, except it's sight and not sound.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #41
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Nah, I'm not upset. I'm just pointing out your poor manners. We and scores of other posters have made thousands upon thousands of posts and this kind of thing isn't done. Just as in real life, it is a lie. A deliberate misattribution. You weren't being "discreet", you were just letting your latent control-freak/superiority-complex flag fly.

A regular Miss Manners you are! I was just yanking your chain and it was funny as all hell -especially as it took you so long to notice But you're too easy. Superiority complex? Please -it's hardly like there's any competition, it's not complex at all. Now, you on the other hand.... have you ever actually stopped and read yourself? Could you be more pompous? It is actually a work of art how you manage to fawn all over certain posters whilst at the same time subtly pointing out just how much more knowledgeable you are. Incredible. Also vomit-inducing, but I'm trying to slim, so it's all good.

Oh sorry, was that rude?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #42
UncaDollas
Banned

UncaDollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #43
wolf
lobber of scimitars

All right, I'm coming on on this way too late.

But, I have a couple related to my professional expertise, here ...

Nintey-sixer (usually "a real nintey-sixer". 10 Code for psychiatric emergency is 10-96, so this is cop-speak for nuts).

Class Four (honestly not sure if it's a word, a number, or a roman numeral. You only hear this spoken on the radio when an ambulance is bringing one to an emergency room. Class 5 is dead. Classes one to three describe the severity of the patient's injury, IIRC, and is a way of letting an ER know what they're getting before it gets there.)

We never use "Cocoa Puffs" alone. it's always "Coo-Coo for Cocoa Puffs". I have received report from the ambulance crew who would only say, "momma, CCFCFP."

TFN is similar to CCFCFP, and means "Totally Fucking Nuts."

In the Big Book of Crazy (DSM-IV or current edition), many disorders have a catch all of (diagnosis) NOS, or NEC (Not Otherwise Specified or Not Elsewhere Classified). Therefore, a patient may be desscribed as "Dumbass, NOS" or "Teenager, NOS" or "Junkie, NOS."

Schizo and Schizy are common terms you pretty much never hear in a nuthouse, because they are words for that have specific meaning, rather than general terms.

SCUT (all caps, we'll get to lower case meaning later) is shorthand for Schizophrenia, Chronic Undifferentiated Type, which means really, really, lifelong crazy, often of a disorganized and rambling nature. Scut is unpleasant work that no one wants to do, that a minimum wage staff member is better equipped to handle, like collecting urine, mopping up puke, and applying band-aids. I acknowledge that I am the scut-monkey at the new nuthouse.

"Identified Patient" implies that someone else in the family is crazier than a shithouse rat, and it is likely that the problems of the one you are being paid to see are either nonexistent, or totally related to having to deal with the actual nut in the family surround.

I have never heard, incidentally of a shithouse mouse. Despite the nice rhyminess of it, it's always rats involved.

There is also a saying we used ... The rat turd does not fall far from the kumquat. This is another way of saying, you plant corn, you get corn. Whether it is genetic or environmental or both, crazy runs in families. I have treated three generations of families more than once.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 04-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
"Identified Patient" implies that someone else in the family is crazier than a shithouse rat, and it is likely that the problems of the one you are being paid to see are either nonexistent, or totally related to having to deal with the actual nut in the family surround.
Love that one.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #45
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ooh, I forgot one ...

Iatrogenic Illness ... this patient was probably not quite right in the head when they went into therapy, but as a result of it, they are now completely nonfunctional ... that is, their illness is caused by their treatment. Many folks in the biz think that this is the case with recovered memories (satanic ritual abuse, alien abduction, multiple personality, etc). The therapists who specialize in these "disorders" will not slaughter their sacred cash cows and so the cycle repeats.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote