The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #121
ThreadHijackMan
Changing the flow

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
.......... almost guaranteeing that your daughter grows up as fucked up as you are........
Looks like I got here a little late.

So.......how bout that PS2 Syc just bought. Isn't that cool!?
ThreadHijackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:41 PM   #122
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It totally rules...I have a numb left thumb that proves it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #123
dave

That's the problem with the PS2 controller - the D-Pad kinda sucks. It does lend itself to numb left thumbs. The Xbox Controller S D-Pad is much better in that regard.

I still enjoy the two triggers on a PS2 controller better, however the extra depth on the Xbox Controller S triggers is better overall for driving games and ones where a lot or a little of something makes a big difference.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:42 PM   #124
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Need a little advice here ...

Sanity Clause (in the form of my mother and sister) has been instructed to provide me with a GBA. I do however have to poll the assembled multitudes here to learn something ... Do I want the original configuration, or the foldup? I'm leaning toward the folding one, just because it looks so fucking cool, but I have heard that the button positions are more difficult to deal with than the original config.

(I have a pretty good batch of GB and GBC games, and I'm hoping not to become a total damn gamehog right away for the GBA. I'm of course going to be requesting Super Mario World (one of my favorite SNES games) to start, but would be interested in hearing other's recommendations as well.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #125
dave

I would recommend the GBA SP (folding one). We have two of those, as well as one of the original.

The biggest reason I would recommend it, honestly, is because the original GameBoy Advance has no lighted screen, meaning that you need a very good light source to play games. The GBA SP, on the other hand, has a side-lighted screen, so you can play it very comfortably in the dark (or in a dimly lit room, or in the car when slang is driving). I find the original GBA nearly impossible to play unless I'm sitting directly under a light. Rather inconvenient.

Also, the battery situation should be considered. The GBA SP has a built-in rechargeable battery and comes with a charger. Battery life is excellent on the built-in battery, and can be extended by turning off the light (a single button push). The original, by comparison, uses two AA batteries. It gets pretty good battery life, but it's one more thing that you have to worry about.

The buttons on both models are comfortable, but I find the GBA SP to be a bit better in this regard. I don't particularly care for the shoulder buttons on the original GBA; I feel that the unit has to be held somewhat awkward to comfortably rest my fingers on them. And awkward and comfortable don't go together. Whereas on the SP, my fingers naturally rest on the triggers, and all is right with the world.

The only knock against the SP I can think of is that it does not have a headphone port proper. You need to buy a fucking adaptor to use headphones. It's not even included. How fucking retarded is that?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #126
perth
Strong Silent Type

Get the folding one. Its got a lighted screen, which puts it way out in front of the original, button issues notwithstanding. Besides, I can play GBA fine with these monstrous hands. It might be a little bit uncomfortable after a while, but really no worse than the original GBA.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #127
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Not having headphones means that it's easier to annoy whomever I'm playing near. Great for long train trips, for example (I'll have to make a point of taking Amtrack to RI next time, rather than driving).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #128
april

This topic went completely off...cool.
april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #129
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

It happens April, just hang on and enjoy the ride, we never know where we're going to end up

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:04 AM   #130
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by april
This topic went completely off...cool.
and its all because of threadHijackman........of course, he must know that any mention of a video game would spurn at least 7 related posts, and completely derail the direction of said thread. It's what he does. He's ThreadHijackman. get the Action Figure Instores now!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:16 AM   #131
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Oh and yeah I wanted a baby at 17. Yeah there'll be alot of smartass comments on that one I'm just waiting for them.
Okaaayyy, but why? Did you even take into consideration ALL that is involved in taking on such a responsibility especially at such a young age:

The estimates show that a single parent family with an income less than $36,800 before taxes will spend $111,570 to raise a child born in 1999 to age 18. The western two-parent counterpart will spend $130,890. Although the actual expenditure is less for single-parent families, it represents a larger percentage of income.

Children--Costs of raising a child continue to rise

Sure you could get on all kinds of programs, and have a ton of help from family...but why go through all of that? Being 17, in school, and trying to graduate is pressure enough, and NOW you have (and wanted!!) a kid on top of all of that?!?! I agree with the person who said that it's cheaper to just get the condoms.
*shaking my head*

Jesus, at 17 I remember just being glad I had left high school, starting college, working part time, and hanging out with friends. *shrugs*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:18 AM   #132
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
All my friends that had babies those were supposed "acciendents". I wanted a baby only b/c I thought they were cute. I didn't consider the responsibility of one. Yeah I made a mistake but I'm taking care of her, she is mine and I will do what I need to do.
*sighing* How utterly irresponsible. You put the fate and well being of another human being in your hands just because babies are cute??

I weep for the "future".

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:12 PM   #133
123tess
Non-Newbie Sort

I was playing a game the other night, with a woman whose profile stated she was 31 years of age, a grandmother of 5 with the 6th on the way. When I asked (wishing )if they were stepchildren....well.....
She was pregnant at 14, and again at 15, married at 17 to someone 20 years her senior. The first baby now has 3 babies, and the second has 2 and a third on the way. aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

And she was very proud. Said that, "God has a plan for each and every one of us....his plan for me was to have babies."
hmm. What could I say ...?
123tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:19 PM   #134
april

A friend of mine is a senior in high school. She has a one year old, a five month old and is pregnant again.
april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:24 PM   #135
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Quote:
A friend of mine is a senior in high school. She has a one year old, a five month old and is pregnant again.
Parasites.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote