The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 06-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

The 2009 NBA Playoffs

I'm here to explain to why the Los Angeles Lakers are going to win the 2009 NBA Finals.

First of all let's do our homework.
-Finals appearances? Kobe has ehhhh, 6 (including)? Phil Jackson has ehhhh 12? Anybody know anyone on the Magic? This is Van Gundy's first trip?

-Coaching: Van Gundy is a gooooood coach. But he is not Phil Jackson. I'm not elaborating.

-Backcourt: Obviously nobody in the world can or will stop Kobe Bryant. So shut up. He has been excellent and superb these playoffs. Please find his numbers---and when you find them don't compare them to Lebron's, think about how he has gotten his teammates involved and all the things he does to set them up, defensively and offensively. Who the hell is Courtney Lee? Richard Hamilton wannabe has no chance against Kobe, neither does Michael Pietrus. Derek Fisher has more NBA playoff games than any active player save Robert Horry. Rafer Alson is streaky as hell and Jameer Nelson will not do anything even if he does play. End of story. JJ Redick anyone?

-Frontcourt: People have been giving this to the Magic. Without a doubt their big men who can shoot the 3 are going to do it again in this series. But you can't shoot lights the entire playoffs. They haven't either--they just lit up the Cavs at times due to poor rotation and transition defense. The Lakers can and will play full court fast paced basketball--hell they invented it under Magic Johnson in the 80s. Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza have a longer reach and are more imposing than the Cavs swingmen and Luke Walton is a solid defender--don't count him out. Let me say this for everyone who jumped on the Magic bandwagon---if the Magic don't hit their 3s they have NO CHANCE TO WIN. Why?

-Let's talk about Dwight Howard: He's a dunk artist. But realistically--he has very little low post skills WHEN COMPARED to other great big men. A la PAU GASOL. Will everyone shut the hell up about him being soft. I've watched his playoffs and I had no idea how good he was until this post season. This man is a monster. And he is years ahead of Dwight when it comes to skill. His post shakes, ability to switch hands, provide soft touch and take great shots and PASS!!!! He is the best big man on the court in that regards. And don't tell me can't rebound. He has had a double double in EVERY SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME THIS SEASON. Plus his blocking and defensive stances have been huge. He averaged over 2 blocks in the Western Conference finals. I like Andrew Bynum--but he's not even as old as me. His job is solely to frustrate Dwight with his length and size as much as possible. He's not going to stop him--but the Lakers have a very good chance collectively. They have the rotation to stop him which brings me to my next point.

-BENCH. The Lakers are favorites for this no questions asked. Farmar, Vujacic, SHANNON BROWN ANYONE? Oh did you know Lamar comes off the bench? He's a streaky player but when he plays he plays like a man possessed. Anthony Johnson...Pietrus is solid, but Tony Battie and Marcin Gortat? Don't you dare even mention Mbenga. Depth of the bench goes to Los Angeles.

-I still will stick to this. The Magic are NOT the best team to come out of the Eastern Conference. No disrespecting their huge upset of the Cavs but it came down to matchups. Every team has a team in the NBA and most likely their conference that they DO NOT matchup well against. Think 2,3,4 years ago. Mavs vs Suns vs Spurs. Spurs could beat the Suns run and gun basketball with their meticulous pound it to Timmy and let TP7 create. Suns could beat Mavericks with their uptempo game and ability to wear out Dirk and make him play both ends of the court. Not to mention no one on Dallas could guard Marion or Amare and with Steve Nash under the controls? But yet the Spurs easily could handle the Suns who never learned to play defense. But the Mavericks always were favorites against the Spurs. Timmy gave Dirk room in the high post that he would make Duncan pay for. Michael Finley was not going to do anything against Josh Howard and Devin Harris was just as fast as Tony Parker. THUS---the Cavaliers did not match up well against Orlando despite being the elite Eastern Conference team. Orlando could spread the floor and kill them outside. And with Dwight being doubled they were able to kick it out and make MORE 3s. I still think no one else besides LeBron (38.6, 8.4 and 8.6? HOLY SHIT!) came to play in the conference finals, but in this matchup the Magic were going to win. Do you guys remember 2007 playoffs where the the #8 Warriors stunned the #1 team Dallas and beat them 6 games in the first round? All about matchups. And these Lakers do match up against Orlando.

-My final evidence is Kobe Bryant. In the Western Conference finals he averaged 2.7 turnovers. WOW. These playoffs he has shot 93.7% FTs. I don't think more stats are necessary actually with my argument. Do you really think he's going to let the Lakers lose two years in a row? Let me rephrase this: Do you REALLY think he's going to lose to a team who has 90% of them going to the Finals for the FIRST TIME? This team is nowhere as good as the Celtics were last year. If anything is going to make you upset it will be this next statement. Kobe Bryant is NOT Michael Jordan, not now not ever. But he is damn near the closest imitation the NBA has produced.

Lakers in 6, possibly 5.
Don't call me a fair weather fan--Ive been a Lakers fan since they got Shaq in '96.

You can shout "Beat LA. Beat LA!!!"
But then again, you'd just be shouting.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
W.HI.P
Free

you're overestimating the magic