The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #631
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Have your people get in touch with my people.

Seriously, I'm glad you liked it.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #632
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I'd love to have a ... something.
I lost my ... something on 9/11, you insensitive bastard!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #633
orthodoc

Aaauuugghhh ... weaving lets you know when you're too tired. Or when you've had one glass of wine too many.

I sat down tonight, and even took a photo or two to show the shuttle in the shed and how the weft, in this project, has to be laid at a steep angle to allow proper takeup in the warp. Because the weave pattern is plain weave, simple over-and-under, more weft thread is taken up per throw than if the weft were skipping some warp threads, as it does in twill, basketweave, and many other patterns. So you have to throw the weft across at a steep angle to let more length of thread be pushed down by the beater.

Anyway ... I'd been merrily throwing weft shots for a little while, when I realized my selvedges were going to hell. The selvedges are the lengthwise edges of the fabric. Suddenly I realized that not all the edge threads were being 'caught' as the shuttle turned to head back in the opposite direction. Then I looked closely at the warp and realized I had major floats ...

Floats are good when you want them; they are not good in plain weave.

I have spent the past 20 minutes unweaving everything I did tonight. All because I put my feet on the second and third treadles, rather than the first and second. You'd think I'd've noticed.

I'll take this as my offering to Athena, so that I don't end up with Ariadne's curse. The end product won't have any errors (thanks to my OCD) but Athena will know about tonight's error.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #634
glatt

Could be worse. Your hobby could be woodworking, and after a glass too many while being tired, you made a similar mistake with a power tool and your fingers.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #635
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Anyway ... I'd been merrily throwing weft shots for a little while, when I realized my selvedges were going to hell. The selvedges are the lengthwise edges of the fabric. Suddenly I realized that not all the edge threads were being 'caught' as the shuttle turned to head back in the opposite direction. Then I looked closely at the warp and realized I had major floats
Damn. I hate when that happens.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #636
orthodoc

True, glatt - it's hard to hurt yourself with yarn.

Yep, when your selvedges go to hell, it's time to call it a day.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:56 AM   #637
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excellent, the fact you've got all your weaving tools together and set up, the piece you're making and your set up instructions. Oh, and your head too.

Without your excellent step by step, most people who hadn't witnessed it wouldn't have a clue how much work it involved. My Grandfather used to set up looms in a mill as a young man(circa 1900), and described the process to me several times. But until I witness someone actually do it, I really didn't understand what had to be done, and done right. Damn, you could have a TV show, be the Bob Ross of the loom.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #638
orthodoc

I don't think I'll ever be Bob Ross, but I did finish this project, finally.
Here's a photo of the warp being cut once I'd reached the end (about 72", not quite as long as the instructions said, but still respectable).
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #639
orthodoc

A view of the fabric with Zoot, or Sarahna's Columbia as she's formally known, for perspective.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #640
orthodoc

Here is the fabric before washing, when it's wide open, so to speak.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #641
orthodoc

And here it is after washing, ready for pressing.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #642
orthodoc

Final result after pressing ... I laid the fabric over a bed, but now this throw resides in our family room, draped over a chair and used for lightweight coziness on cool days. It drapes beautifully and provides a lovely lightweight cover for transitional weather - we have a woodburning insert/stove in the family room, so this throw is nice as the fire is either starting or dying. Not too heavy.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #643
orthodoc

I have a gorgeous blanket planned - hope to get the loom warped this weekend, so will update soon. Shades of blue from deepest midnight to sky, with variegated blues/teals/raspberry to provide interest.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #644
glatt

Very nice! I like it a lot.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #645
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Magnificent.