Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Day Ruiner (beware)

Not child appropriate:

This artist put this dog on display during his art show. It died of starvation at the art show. He tied up the dog and artistically made letters out of dog food where the dog could not reach. Here are photos of the show. It ruined my day....If you are sensitive don't watch this.
I hope this "artist" doesn't travel here. That's all I'm going to say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzFBD-LgKV0

I would like to sponsor his trip to NM for another art show. On second thought.

Last edited by Cicero; 03-23-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm not watching this and where is this motherfucker located in the world?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Cicero

I found this searching for his location:

~Here is a part of his original [most recent] statement:"Hello everyone. My name is Guillermo Habacuc Vargas. I am 50 years old and an artist. Recently, I have been critisized for my work titled "Eres lo que lees", which features a dog named Nativity. The purpose of the work was not to cause any type of infliction on the poor, innocent creature, but rather to illustrate a point. In my home city of San Jose, Costa Rica, tens of thousands of stray dogs starve and die of illness each year in the streets and no one pays them a second thought.

Now, if you publicly display one of these starving creatures, such as the case with Nativity, it creates a backlash that brings out a big of hypocrisy in all of us. Nativity was a very sick creature and would have died in the streets anyway.~
Old 03-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
binky
all hollowed out

Okay folks, if you open up "more" on the youtube link and scroll down to spanish translation of petition, and sign, hopefully we can help stop this sick bastard. I was signature number 1,3158664
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Giant Salamander
Deity of Dogs

After reading his explanation, I don't see the use in getting so enraged by this. I don't endorse cruelty of any sort, and that video was suitably painful to watch, but what he said had truth in it, even if the way he went about it makes me want to kick him in the nuts.
I don't see the point in getting so riled up about just because the sight of this particular starving dog is so easily accessible. Sure, he's the one who killed it, but I wouldn't even be thinking of starving street dogs (which are legion) if I hadn't come across his...er...work.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Cicero

I'm pissed at all the things that are done in the name of "awareness" yes. His explanation serves as just an excuse to get his name out there. Yea. Now he's famous. Any way you slice it he's a shithead.

Hey guess what? I need a poster boy for all the starving people in the world, and guess who my first candidate is?

I'm an artist too.

Committing the crime to stop it doesn't make much sense does it? If I murder a couple of people to say murder is wrong am I still a murderer with good intentions? Do I have a great point? Now what good did that do? Had he killed one dog to save 10 there might be something to it. But no action has been taken to relieve the suffering of other dogs now has it? Now the action is rightfully against him.

That dog might have lived on it's own, as I have seen many packs of dogs do,really. I've seen wild dogs that had a lot of dignity and character too. Soak that in.

I am enraged
. That fucking pisses me off. His point is nil it's nothing. He got his name out there and I hope he hangs his self with it.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have to say I disagree.
When British news crews went and filmed the starvation in Ethiopia it shocked this country into response. I don't think that those of us who saw the reports will ever forget the camera panning out and the realisation that these were real people, like us, and they were dying where they lay, in their thousands, with no hope of rescue or salvation.

Now they were filmed by a well fed, western crew, who were paid for being there. The crew had no hope of saving all those people, and were not deliberately withholding food (unlike the man with the dog) but it publicising waste of life, in my mind, is not the same as creating it.

Some people work silently, behind the scenes, unlauded and unrecognised in order to resolve problems. Others make the biggest splash they can, in order to raise awareness and hope that problems can be dealt with at a higher level.

No, I haven't watched the video. There is nothing I can do about the situation. Although I don't like the way the artist went about it, at least he has got people talking. And I will always believe a human life is worth more than an animal, so I'll keep giving my time to Save the Children on the understanding that once starfving children are a thing of the past I can then look out for starving dogs.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well, since the outrage and shock are critical to the piece, I should think the artist would not mind if I put on my heavy boots, sink his ankles in concrete, and kick him in the crotch until his testicles are completely liquid.

It only improves the piece and furthers awareness of the situation if someone has that reaction.

If art is "what you can get away with", as we have posited, and he gets away with it because it's art, then I should be able to get away with it too. Really, my drop-kicking him in the fucking nuts until either they are a mass of jelly or they retreat into the guy's pancreas for safety... is part of an important artistic vision, a higher calling if you will.

Moreover once the balls are liquified, to increase the shock and awareness of the situation, I am willing to allow hungry dogs to eat the remaining goo. For maximum benefit of the piece, I won't sever the sack with a sharp knife or anything. Just put peanut butter on whatever remains and let the pit bulls at it. For maximum art, I shall select only the hungriest street dogs one can find.

Finally, I'm willing to work anonymously. Behind the scenes if you will, unlauded in any way. I'm JUST THAT GIVING -- AND COMMITTED TO THE ART.

Let's get people talking. Let's be part of the solution.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

If I'm reading right, this was in public yes, not at his house or something?

If that's so, yes the guy is still scum--but why didn't somebody else do something when they saw it?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
freshnesschronic
Professor

I get the message, and I agree with Shawnee. People > animals.
A very controversial piece of what some would disagree with "art" but an impressive message.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
Cicero

See UT is on board with a proper new petition. I am willing to work behind the scenes as well, I don't need the limelight. There are people starving out there and I need to starve someone and tie them up in the name of my "art" and take photos and watch them die. Vargas is welcome to be the subject of my new art piece.

He has also committed the crime of circular thinking and his stupidity has cost a dog it's life.

Shawnee hasn't even posted in this thread Fresh. I'm not going to speak for her but I doubt she would concur with the intentional malicious act towards dogs. In fact, once she does catch notice of this thread I don't think she's going to be happy at all.

Last edited by Cicero; 03-24-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

EEEk, thanks Cic because I wondered if I was sleep-posting. Haven't been around much today, I think this is actually my second post today.

I'm keeping in mind that Fresh agreed with those with interest in Michael Vick's case who said "they're just some dogs, man."

Anyhoo, not to stir too much but actually I think that animals ≥ people.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Cicero

Why in the hell do we even have to make the animals vs people comparison? That has nothing to do with what happened here. Animals are complimentary to people and people are complimentary to animals. No such decisions need to be made here. I still can't believe that guy did that.

I've seen a lot of people do a lot of stupid things in the name of pop art. This beats them all, hands down.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

THAT's why! Animals don't bitch you out for making a comment in a thread you got dragged into in the first place!
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Cicero

That wasn't even directed at you sweets....

That was directed at someone I am starting to believe is a lame-o. It takes a lot of evidence and I think I'm giving up on that person.

Heh funny attachment though.

I wonder what other savory feel-good threads I can make you read?