The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #46
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Here's an excellent explanation about the price of gasoline.
If oil went from $10 per barrel to $100 per barrel, why did gasoline not increase by a ten factor? Because most parties along the pipeline have not shared in the wealth.

Sir Richard Branson noted what has happened. A massive percentage of the world's wealth is currently being transferred to other nations. According to Branson, he has seen this happen three times including in the 1970s. But he has never seen so much wealth being transferred so quickly as is ongoing today.

Our extremists (in denial) said our economy is not as dependent on oil as it once was. That works when preaching to Rush Limbaugh disciples. Those who instead need facts: we will see. Price of oil has increased massively for only a few years. That means the economic response has not yet been observed in spread sheets. Or has it?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #47
tw

Recommended in 'Portfolio 101' is to first identify one who is dealing with reality rather than selling finance myths. The product is everything when doing long term investing. One example of a perspective based in facts rather than one steeped in finance games. Depew offers examples of investments based upon current economic conditions. His reasons for making these investments are based in product thinking. His recommendations would have been reason to watch and learn from his recommendations; not a recommendation to blindly invest upon.
Quote:
Nightly Business Report of 26 Mar 2008
DEPEW: Right, absolutely. I think part of the barrage of bad news has been baked into the pie here. But barring the next six to eight weeks where we're due for a little bit of a rally, all of these debt issues are still going to be with us and it's going to be back to reality by the second half of the year.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
...all of these debt issues are still going to be with us and it's going to be back to reality by the second half of the year.
Like just before the conventions until after the election.

Oh, and beyond.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #49
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Recommended in 'Portfolio 101' is to first identify one who is dealing with reality rather than selling finance myths. The product is everything when doing long term investing.
I dealt with this fallacy in the previous thread that you were unable to respond to. Not that I expect you to actually objectively read what anyone else posts.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #50
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I liked your first explanation better xb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The economy is in trouble... must be a shortage of cash, because Atlantic City has just added $25,000 chips.

Last edited by skysidhe; 03-28-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: oops
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #51
busterb
NSABFD

I have a few questions?
As I've worked in oil related Fields all my life.
Around here they're laying 42" lines, That I think cost 1 million bucks a mile.
My oldest son is number 2 man over the environment shit. They get paid for, 4 whellers, cell phones, cameras, per-deim. God only knows what else.
He makes around 2k a week and most of that is tax free.
#1. ? Where did the products suddenly appear from? My guess, is that they were waiting on an a bunch of thieves!
#2 There's more than 28K mile of pipelines in the works. Where did this great supply come from?
#3 Whom do you think will pay for this?????
Bet your ass, it won't be this bunch. Hi DICK!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #52
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
I have a few questions? ... Around here they're laying 42" lines, That I think cost 1 million bucks a mile.
My oldest son is number 2 man over the environment shit.
Is that oil? Or is that the new natural gas pipelines to deliver tankers of natural gas to the Northeast and Midwest?

Gulf have the only ports (except Boston) willing to accept liquified natural gas ships. Jersey wanted to do this on Delaware Bay. But the state of Delaware owns all water right up to NJ beaches. DE quashed that natural gas port. So tankers must download gas in the Gulf of Mexico where it will be piped to midwest and NE consumers.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #53
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I dealt with this fallacy in the previous thread that you were unable to respond to.
Everything you posted had been answered in posts preceding. Meanwhile, four years of data and other sources demonstrate a fundamental fact. Stock brokers, on average, underperform the market. Index funds and ETFs are how to match the market. Legendary investors such as Warren Buffet and Peter Lynch describe how to beat the market - know the product and its industry.

Even the cable guy (whoever that showman is) that does Mad Money says better investment information is found on the front page of the NY Times; not in financial publications. Why? Product information is more often discussed there.

More facts that potential or learning investors should know. From The Economist of 22 Mar 2008:
Quote:
At first this growth was built on the solid foundation of rising asset prices. The 18 years to 2000 witnessed an unparalleled bull market for shares and bonds. Corporate restructuring, wage competition and a revolution in information technology boosted profits. A typical portfolio of shares, bonds, and cash gave real annual yields of over 14% ... almost four times the norm of earlier decades.
Again, think product. During this period massive innovations including, so many pioneered and stifled in the 1970s, suddenly became hot and profitable marketable commodities. Innovation was similar to before, during, and after the 1950s.
Quote:
But something changed in 2001, when the dotcom bubble burst. America's GDP growth since then has been weaker than in any cycle since the 1950s, barring the double-dip recovery in 1980-81. Stephen King and Ian Morris of HSBC point out that growth in consumer spending, total investment, and exports in this cycle has been correspondingly feeble. ... The industry has defied gravity by using debt, securitisation, and proprietary trading to boost fee income and profits. Investors hungry for yield have willingly gone along. Since 2000, .... the value of assets held in hedge funds, with their high fees and higher leverage, has quintupled. ...
This process has turned investment banks into debt machines that trade heavily on their own accounts. Goldman Sachs is using about $40 billion of equity as the foundation for $1.1trillion of assets. At Merrill Lynch, the most leveraged, $1 trillion of assets is teetering on around $30billion of equity. ...
Sooner or later, though, the music stops. And when it does, the very mechanisms that create abundant credit will also destroy it.
Expect growth rates to return to more traditional levels. Suddenly those high fees (ie 2% management fee on a mutual fund) removes a massive portion of those expected returns.

Even Wal-Mart has reorganized for a potential downturn. Investors might do same with Wal-mart style investments using index funds or ETFs and using discount brokers. With reduced growth expectations, management fees cost too much especially when those industry professionals, on average, underperform the market.

Do you have major investments and complex tax problems? Then industry investment professionals have a purpose. Tax laws, in particular, are so complex that even the better legal minds and lawmakers don't grasp them all. Common investor does not have these (unnecessary due to politicians) complex problems.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #54
lookout123

Quote:
Everything you posted had been answered in posts preceding.
You, sir, are a liar. I know it. You know it. Everyone who has bothered to read the threads knows it. You are a little bitch who throws around figures and your opinion demanding that others accept it as fact because you type it over and over again in your broken english without any consideration that you might be incorrect. When an alternative view is presented you attack the poster in your punkass passive aggressive manner. When they respond directly to your posts you throw a hissy fit about their emotional stability to draw attention away from your inability to support your ideas with relevant facts. When someone asks you a question you only have two responses, A) quit visiting the thread until you think people have forgotten about it, or B) you puke out irrelevant crap about GWB and mental midgets.

TW, I'm calling you out. You're a liar. You're a pussy. You've got no spine. You've got no integrity. You're the type of chickenshit that in real life wades into a discussion spouting bullshit only to piss down your leg when someone with integrity and a brain questions your ideas. TW, you are my Bitch.

I challenge you right here right now to refute what I've said. Sadly, I don't think you have the cajones to even try. I expect you'll respond with some drivel about emotional posting and insults. Sadly, you'll be wrong about that too. I'm not angry or upset. I'm weary. I'm saddened that new dwellars will see your post count and seniority in the cellar and be lulled into thinking you are worthy of respect. I find myself puzzled that a ridiculous little cunt like you has managed to survive in the cellar this long without running off in a temper tantrum. Then I remember that you're so disconnected from reality that you probably don't even realize what a pathetic little fuck you are. I'm sure that next you'll spin off into half-coherent gobbledy gook and pretend that it is perfectly logical. You'll sit smugly and think about how you showed me. You pathetic, delusional little bitch.

Go ahead, show me I'm wrong.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:37 AM   #55
tw

Quote:
You, sir, are a liar. I know it.
You are a stock broker. Lying is part of the job. I understand from where your bias comes. Meanwhile, your mutual fund recommendations were losers. Even UT's choice outperformed you recommendation. When you want to become civil again, let me know.

Stock brokers, typically, underperformed the market. But then I had advantages. I learned from history, Peter Lynch, The Economist, and a long list of other sources that all said same. I don't care that lookout123 hates it. Reality is not something you have to like. Reality is something that you should learn to accept.

Why does lookout123 dispute so many honest sources? Does he provide facts? Lookout123 - you are a stockbroker. A saleman selling Dr. Miles Restorative Tonic. You don't have to like it. But that is what finanical advisers do best - sales; not finanical analysis.

It was an old ABC News report. Two people apply for the same job. One clearly had a better resume, education, experience, etc. The other was better looking. Comments such as 'He even looks like a broker' choose the good looking applicant over a far more qualified, educated, and accomplished applicant. Stock brokers are most about image. Get over it. Stock brokers, on average, underperform the market. Brokers are too often about selling themselves. When cornered by reality, a meltdown? Get over it (or did you find a copy of the oldest thing in my refrigerator?)
Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #56
lookout123

Congratulations pussy, you've fulfilled my very low expectations of you. Coward.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #57
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Our Govt taxes the bejesus out of petrol (gas).
I don't mind because I don't drive.

BUT
without wanting to give in to my Chicken Lickin impulses, I am worried about the grain shortage. I don't mind for myself if the price of bread goes up. Or even chicken. But if it gets to the point where poorer people start going hungry... Well. KFC might go out of business.

As you were - I did follow the intelligent discussion with interest.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
snip~ I'm saddened that new dwellers will see your post count and seniority in the cellar and be lulled into thinking you are worthy of respect. ~snip
I don't know if this is common, but it would be a huge mistake, on the readers part.

Neither seniority, nor post count, adds one iota of credibility to any post. I've seen members contribute brilliance in their first post and others just shit out hundreds, before ringing the bell.

Every post stands on it's own merit.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #59
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
As usual, the emotional make claims without even stating a single reason why: and How do we know both have not a clue? Both would attack the messenger AND both would not provide a single useful fact. How curious. Extremists also do this.
Tw, I suggest you re-read the Portfolio 101 thread. Depmats made a flippant comment to which I challenged him to refute your statements...IOW, I was defending you, you silly goose!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #60
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

To answer your question, aimeecc, I am not scared when I stop to think about it: the way my ancestors lived, the starvation they faced, the grinding poverty, the discrimination, the dirt, the lack of education. Most of the world lives on a lot less than I do. I'm poor, but I've never been homeless or hungry (thank goddess) and man, I hope it stays that way. Trust the universe---it's always been very good to me even when I thought it was going to kill me.

(I am a girl today)

tw: make love, not war.

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote