Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 06-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

TICKS

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...t_of_2017.html

Quote:
Scientists who study ticks saw this year coming. Two years ago, I was walking through the forest with biologist Richard Ostfeld as he hunted for ticks (“Oh, I have an adult! Fantastic!”) when he warned me that 2017 was going to be really bad. That’s because 2015 was a “mast year,” when trees produce a ton of acorns. (Plant biologists are still figuring out how and why trees decide to mast.) The year after a mast year, the acorn-gnawing mouse population booms, and then the year after that—i.e., right now—the mouse blood–sucking tick population goes bonkers. Mice are also among the most important hosts for Lyme disease, the most common tick-borne disease in the country, so 2017 is likely to be a doozy for Lyme. (There are other dangerous and weird tick-borne diseases, many of which are becoming more prevalent.
Usually they take 12 to 24 hours attached to transmit nasty diseases, but powassan virus in as little as 15 minutes.

Permethrin is the Google of Insect Repellents.

Quote:
And permethrin works—way better than regular insect repellants. That’s because permethrin a) not only repels but also kills ticks on contact and b) lasts a long time. When you get your clothes treated professionally, as I do, they are tick-proof for 70 washes. If you treat them yourself, they’re protected for five or six washes. Some research suggests that DEET, on the other hand, starts losing its tick-repelling power within two hours of application. (Don’t get me wrong, DEET is absolutely, positively better than nothing.)
get ticked off !
Old 06-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

That is slightly terrifying. I hate ticks...

So we are losing the bees, which we need. And instead we have a "tick boom"? I do not approve.

I wonder how safe Permethrin is? Does it permeate the skin? Is it safe for kids? More research is necessary.

I keep seeing people.saying ticks are bad this year, but I wasn't sure if that was really true or more more media scare tactics. The info you provided above makes sense.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There has been quite a bit of research on Permethrin according to the U of RI.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I wonder how safe Permethrin is? Does it permeate the skin? Is it safe for kids? More research is necessary.
Permethrin is applied to the clothing, not to the skin. I think it's reasonably safe when dry.

Permanone is the shit, if ya can find it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Amazon, of course.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Attached Images

Old 07-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I just saw one of these nests. I thought it was part of a polk berry bush. Thanks Bruce.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
I just saw one of these nests. I thought it was part of a polk berry bush. Thanks Bruce.
Kill it with fire.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote