The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #766
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Minifob wakes up to one of those. It did wonders for his morning attitude. The crazy thing is, he sleeps with a sleep mask, but it works anyway. Like his skin can sense the change even if he can't truly see it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #767
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Thumbs up

My ancient pressure cooker (at least 30 years old) wasn't holding pressure anymore, so yesterday I bought one of these for myself.

Put a corned beef brisket in it last night and omg. SOOOooooo easy. Super easy to clean too. Very pleased.
I'm sure I'll be using this thing a LOT, and not just for pressure cooking.
I think I'll try making soup in it this weekend, or maybe a yummy beef stew.

Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #768
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I gotta a question for the pressure cooker lady?

I've been to the website, looked at the instruction manual and can't figger out what this is/does.

Name:  whatsit.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  27.4 KB

What's it? Please/Thank You

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #769
Glinda

Heh. I have the same question. I don't know what it is or why it's there. As you correctly note, the manual doesn't address this thingie at all. I've sent a query to the Presto people. Will keep you updated if/when I get an answer.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #770
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

spoon holder!

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #771
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Thanx UT. And for your efforts, Glinda.

That's a poor design for a spoon holder, imho. Handle will get icky.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #772
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Thanx UT. And for your efforts, Glinda.

That's a poor design for a spoon holder, imho. Handle will get icky.
I sort of wondered if it was meant to hold a cooking utensil, too, but what a lame design if that's what it's for. Then I wondered if it was meant to be a hook, so you could hang the contraption from a pot rack, but it's pretty heavy for that sort of thing, and who would be weird enough to hang a big old pressure cooker from a pot rack? Then I wondered if it was designed so you could run the cord through it, but the plug doesn't fit through the hole, and why would you need to redirect the cord, anyway?

'Tis a mystery.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #773
Glinda

From the Presto people:

Quote:
Thanks for contacting us. This model is equipped with a utensil holder. The sizes of the utensil would be similar to a wooden paddle used for rice.
Lame.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #774
monster
I hear them call the tide

7 Wonders - game

for those who like multiplayer strategy games

https://www.asmodee.us/en/games/7-wonders/

pologirl had been playing this with friends and recommended we get it as a family game. Not a day went by over the break without one or more people suggesting a game.

We haven't mastered it yet, there probably is no mastery, but regardless, it only takes about an hour to play.

Great concept, not like anything else we have played, but not too complex and yet plenty for our brains to chew on....
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #775
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
for those who like multiplayer strategy games

https://www.asmodee.us/en/games/7-wonders/

pologirl had been playing this with friends and recommended we get it as a family game. Not a day went by over the break without one or more people suggesting a game.

We haven't mastered it yet, there probably is no mastery, but regardless, it only takes about an hour to play.

Great concept, not like anything else we have played, but not too complex and yet plenty for our brains to chew on....
Wow! What a cool game! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #776
glatt

When we visited family over Christmas, they had the card game Exploding Kittens (with the expansion pack of wild cards.)

This is my new favorite game. For me it's the perfect balance of everything that makes a game fun. I've been wondering what makes a game good, and am still not completely sure. You have games like chess that are pure strategy with no random chance thrown in, and they are fine, but not what I would call fun. They are serious business. Then you have games like the card game War, that are pure chance with zero strategy, and they aren't very fun either. Just something to do with your hands while hanging out with someone.

A good game will have a balance of strategy and chance. But there are other factors as well. Monopoly has a mixture of both, but can be really tedious and painful as you try to build up your wealth and you become attached to your properties and the dice go against you so you lose. The other players always roll the perfect roll to skip right over your properties. You get so invested that it hurts when you fail. I've seen many people get a little upset playing that game.

With Exploding Kittens, I think it's such a fun game because you can try to strategize, but there are so many different ways to handle each move that each move is a little leap of faith, and you know that you might fail with each move. So when you do fail, it's no big deal. You don't get invested in some long reaching plan that might fail, but at the same time, you can have a technique of playing that will tend to lead to success. Plus there are so many moves you can make, you really do feel like you hold the future in your own hands and that what you do will determine your success.

I'm rambling a little bit here. The bottom line is that I was really surprised how much I liked Exploding Kittens, especially with a handful of people playing. It kept everyone's interest and led to a bunch of laughter and comments about how the game was going.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #777
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Exploding Kittens - Fantastic game name.

"Hey, wanna play Exploding Kittens?"

"Exploding Kittens?! Hells yeah!"

Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #778
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's a game kids enjoy a lot, too, both from a capability and a humor standpoint.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #779
monster
I hear them call the tide

yeah I looked at Exploding Kittens. We got PoloGirl organ Attack for her birthday because she likes the Awkward Yeti cartoons. She went to a signing on her birthday, but it was too crowded so she didn't get it signed. She says the game is pretty good
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #780
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I got a game/toy/???? for myself for Christmas.

It's called Dropmix. It's a technological tour-de-force. It'a music "game", not unlike Rock Band or Guitar Hero. In fact, it's produced by Harmonix, the same people that made Rock Band, but it's marketed by Hasbro. It doesn't come with little plastic toy instruments, but it does come with a "board" and some cards.

The board has five spaces for the cards to be placed, and a "Dropmix" button. Also, there's a little notch to hold your smartphone. The computer is your phone. You download the app to your phone and it does all the computer and music playing. If you like can you can send the output to a speaker for better sound. The cards, there are a few hundred, all have unique artwork and have the name of a song and artist and a specific subset of the given song, say the vocals or the drums, etc. Inside each card is an NFC/magic token that is picked up by the reader in the space on the board, it sends the code to the phone and the phone plays that track of that song.

I said there are five spaces on the board, yellow/red, red, red/blue, blue, blue/green. Yellow cards are lead vocals, red cards are melody, blue cards are and rhythms, and green cards are bass and harmonies. There are also special cards (wild cards of all/any colors) that can be played in any slot and black and white special effects cards, also playable in any slot.

Now add magic.

When you place a card on the board it starts to play that track of that song. When you place another card, it blends the second card's track with the first card (and so on for third and fourth and fifth cards). It matches the beat and the key *flawlessly*. I mean, it's just math, right? And math is a computer's specialty. Really though, it's magic. Let's check out a video.

Thanks to 21st century witchcraft...

or a couple playing straight out of the box....

Here's the first review I watched/read after seeing the title on a Gizmodo gadget gift list.

I don't know how to explain it to you. I'll say that I brought it out for the young adult children and their friends over the holidays and it was a SMASH HIT! It's portable, so when you run out of room at the kitchen table, you can just carry the whole fuckin party to the living room (thank you battery powered toy!). I suggest you check out the videos -- there's a zillion of them -- and look at the mixes. You can change the tempo and the key and the relative volume of each card/track. And it *never* misses a step.

*MAGIC!*