Save that for the Olympics.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #122
monster
I hear them call the tide

nu-huh not even for that.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #123
monster

Today they got their State Swag. Hebe is Made Up! They got camp chairs with their first names on the back, State team etc on the front, and last names on the cover. Matching Headbands, and Hebe and the two others who hadn't made the team before got team jackets. She is chuffed to bits and happily wore her state team jacket as she left tonight to watch the State Championship Men's Water Polo Final between the other two Ann Arbor High Schools (she's cheering for the River Rats)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #124
monster

Oh and..... this was so funny... (to me...)

On the way to practice this morning, I said "how awesome would it be for your team to get 5 swimmers in the State finals for breaststroke" and she said "Awesome, but it would also be awesome if coach could get us elevator passes, the stairs are ruining my taper". I chortled. But it turns out she was deadly serious. Most of her classes are on the 4th floor, so she's up and down stairs all day. generally good, but apparently -during taper- BAD. Coach is a serious coach, is olympically connected and apparently a college/olympic coach was visiting the other day and was horrified by the stiars they were doing. No exercise outside of practice is allowed during taper. OMFG -did we accidentally relocate to USSR? She did not tell coach about the community service type thing she did today because we were raking leaves......

This is SO CRAZY!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #125
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Don't fuck with the taper.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #126
monster

Ok. Psych sheets are posted. = list of all swimmers for each event in seed (speed) order. making it to finals on Saturday suddenly got less likely...... but that's ok, 'cause it makes me less apprehensive.

Last year, her time (1:08.52) would have easily placed her in the top 10.

She's #22 seed out of 44. it got a whole shitload faster!

but 22 is OK. Only the top 24 really have a chance -they get placed in the last three heats, which are "circle-seeded" -like dealing out the swimmers. So the last heat will have swimmers 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19 and 22; the penultimate heat will have swimmers 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20 and 23.... and you get the picture. So the top swimmers have less competition in their heats. and swimmers like SG who are borderline for making the last 16, get to swim againmnst much faster swimmers to pace them. Swimmers 25-32 all swim together, they all have very similar times, much harder to be in the running. not impossible, though. top 16 overall go through to Finals on Saturday.

As seed 22, SG does get to swim in the last heat with the #1 seed (time of 1:04.85) -that is the best she could hope for. She'll be in the outside lane though (but at MISCAs she won from the outside in a 10-lane meet, so.....) She is the lowest seed of the 5 Skyline swimmers, and bizarrely, only one of them is not in that heat. We have seeds 2, 4, 7, 19 and 22. It will be interesting.

for the Stats Nerds, there are 76 schools in Division 1. only 44 swimmers qualified for the breaststroke. 5 are from one school -ours, 4 are from another -both of these schools are new to Division 1 and -allegedly- are the reason it got so much faster! 3 are from the school that has been state champion for several years, all other school only have 1 or 2. the balance of power may be changing!

Last edited by monster; 11-16-2011 at 10:24 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #127
monster

OK braggety-brag/omfg-is-this-for-real time..... DO NOT READ if you are not totally pro SG because you will want to barf.......

SG just told me that her coach said today that the mother of SG's friend (SGF) -the #1 breaststroker on the River Rat team, had called her to ask if she gave private lessons. Coach told SG "you make SGF look ordinary". In tones that suggested that coach is pretty impressed with SGF.

I'm guessing SGF has been on coach's radar for longer than SG because she swims off season for the BIG team around here, and SG swims for the small one. So Sg is kind of a nice surprise for coach. But it's all good. SG may be number 5 here when she would have neen #1 elsewhere, but I think it was the right choice. These are top class coaches.

SG is not a boaster, so for her to tell me this means it is really, really big.

(Just watch her fall off the block and get DQ'd on Friday! )
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #128
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

good luck, break a flipper, or .. whatever.

ps, I preferred to race in the outside lanes and not the center lanes, back in the day. I felt less distraction and I could just focus on my own race. I was never a favorite though, so maybe this was just making lemonade from sour grapes. who knows.

Gooooooooood Luck! Go SG!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #129
monster

thanks. She hates the outsides -or used to.

ok I lied about the less apprehensive. I spent this morning making her a team color fleecy blanket when I should have been doing something else. she loves it

She painted her nails last night so one hand said SkyHi and the other Eagle. Coach told her she loves it, but she needs to take it off to swim. Drag.

DEADLY SERIOUS.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #130
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Drag as in friction and not bumming her stone?

Maybe she should switch to silicone based nail polish.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #131
monster

Now there's an idea to pitch to Speedo......
Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #132
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Best of luck to Hebe! This is exciting!

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #133
monster

OK the child is fucking manic. her taper means she just isn't ready to go to bed. About as far from that as she could be. usually she's packing in the last calories befor ebed with drooping eyelids at this time of night. She has no school tomorrow, so no homework. Rescue me from this whirling Dervish of energy. And i mean that literally. She twirling away on the wood floor in the kitchen -I'm afriad she'll get dizzy and knock herself out as she falls over.

She's chatting on FB with friends who stay up late and play video games -she's usually all done with online before they get on, so she's buggin me about what the hell they are talking about.

it's almost surreal.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #134
monster

10:45pm. she just got up, thinking it was morning..... after less than an hour in bed. Didn't look to me like a kid who had even been to sleep.....

*sigh*
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #135
monster

Well it's over. For her. She swam well (another time well within the state cut) but didn't make the last 16 so won't be swimming tomorrow. But three of the 5 breaststrokers did -they are seeds 1, =4 and =4 for tomorrow so it will be exciting. I won't be there (thankfully) but SG will.

So...... now I have to rant... and I was very restrained and reserved but several of the other team parents weren't.....

There are three teams new to Division one this year -Division is based on school size. (Well three good teams. There may be more who don't make much of a mark) We are one. Farmington Hills Mercy is another. They may well be the new division champions.

It's a private catholic girls school.......

OMFG those people are so obnoxious it's untrue! parents and kids. But especially the parents. I know a couple of FHM swimmers and families, they are nice, so this totally took me by surprise. Seating is limited, reserving seats is not allowed, but they tried to do it anyway -by the block, not just the odd seat or two -40 schools at least and they were reserving about 1/8th of the bleachers ....and were extremely unpleasant to anyone who pointed out it was not allowed ....and played the 'catholic card'....... "well we know it's not allowed but these people have to get siblings to school so can't come until later, and it's especially important they get them to school because it's Friday and so they can't miss mass....."! wtf? We all had siblings to get to school. titarses.

And then they were loud in a really trashy way, deliberately chanting over the cheers from the other swim teams (not the parents' cheers, the teams on deck.... even the swimmers tend to let the groups near them finish rather than trying to chant over them). And no, most parent groups do not have cheers/chants.

SG said the Mercy girls were deliberately delaying races by elaborately crossing themselves before stepping on to the blocks. I didn't see that, but SG is not one to bitch or overexaggerate. it's generally an advantage to be last up onto the block.

The Marion girls (another catholic girls only school) had apparently brought the rest of the team to support them. Which is nice. Standing at the back with their t-shirts scrunched up into bralettes, sagging PJ shorts and having the school name spelled out in paint on their midriffs, however..... not quite so nice... oh and the shouting down heat wins by other teams..... not classy at all.

My eyes were opened to a whole new level of swimmerdom today. And it wasn't terribly pretty. yes, I'm an atheist, but I really really did not expect the two catholic schools' supporters to be the ones exhibiting the worst behaviour. The parents of our team were nice to be with, though. We chatted in the breaks with some other parent groups who were also very nice. And the team looked great on deck with their chairs and jackets.