The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

L1nked1n: Tell me your thoughts

Are/were you on there?
Any great/horrific experiences?
Is it useful? Or tosh?

etc.

....should I be on there? I really have no career to brag about but I'm hoping to finally start one, even though I'm nearly 50. I've avoided it because I didn't have a career/didn't need it and my spam email account gets so much shit from there I figured it was probably mostly ego-inflating bollocks.

My career counselor (who told me I'd graduated at last appointment ..i.e. on yer own, chick..) suggested it then cooled off and eventually went with undecided.... so I decided to look up all the people I've talked with in my career-hunting path and go with the majority (a method career counselor approved).... aaand they seem split 50:50. So I'd appreciate insights from you lot, pls & tx.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've found it useful on a number of occasions, but never for job-hunting... For example, if I'm looking for someone online, and there are several people with that name, I can go to LinkedIn and find the one with the job history I expect, then compare the profile picture and contact information to the other places I'm looking. People have gotten much smarter about locking their Facebook accounts, etc. but most leave their LinkedIn page wide open.

Long story short, it doesn't seem that useful for your situation. But it's also super easy to set up, so there's probably not any harm in it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
monster

thanks, I found about 3/4 of the people I looked for on there, but some of those had clearly never updated since they set up their account, so I didn't count their participation as a whole unit....
Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
monster

main reason for not setting up an account would be spam. and spam. spam spam spam spam spam. and eggs.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
glatt

I’m on there. I don’t really use it. Our marketing department is always telling us that we should be active on there to help the firm and ourselves. Link to professional articles written by colleagues and shit like that.

I found for years that it was pretty horrible because sales people at vendors would try to reach me through it.

But I have kept in touch with old friends through it when they are not on FB. So that’s nice.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
glatt

Oh, and like Clod says, it’s great for finding specific people for work reasons.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
monster

sounds like really not a thing I need to do right now then....

thank you for the input
Old 02-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It would probably be wise to have a dedicated email for your search.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It would probably be wise to have a dedicated email for your search.
I considered that -I have one already I used last time I decided to loo for work- but have realized the networking nature of today's job hunt renders that unnecessary and makes things unnecessarily complicated as many of the people in the chains already know me and have my email address.

I really don't want to bother with this site right now, that's my gut instinct, but iIdon't want to cut off a potential valuable source of leads for no good reason....
Old 02-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My current corporate job and all my best leads came from Linkedin. In IT, that is how it works, it's like THE public database of people's resumes.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #11
monster

yeah I'm definitely not IT although people keep trying to push me that way... bless them. I have neither the tech savvy or the patience with idiots required..... I'm really not cut out to be employed at all, am I?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
I'm really not cut out to be employed at all, am I?
You can go on thinkin' that but I don't recommend it. Eventually it catches up with you and you are forced to fall back on even worse options. The best approach is to Keep. Moving. Forward.

~

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!

Now if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth! But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
monster

thanks. I just hate this. I've been spoiled/fortunate, I've never really had to look for work before. The few jobs I've had just kind of fell into place/were not a life necessity -When I was 13 I went into a newsagent and asked if they needed any morning paper deliverers. they did. Then at 16, and 17, I got Saturday jobs in the same way. Ditto in college, or I saw ads in windows and walked in.... But they were just jobs. not careers. and there was no need/issue regarding benefits. They were just part time jobs to get us through. Lucky's was the same.... The oldest was off to college, the youngest was off to high school so school volunteer needs were diminishing, I thought I should probably think about getting a job, saw this ad for a new business....... got a job, full time although I had wanted part time, got bennies even though I didn't need them....... then got stuck because I did....

/whining. for today. probably.

....I just tried to file for unemp ins payments online as I was told I should because I'm entitled. Demoralizing and ridiculous, so I stopped. All designed to put people off claiming rather than incentivize/help them find work. Sound financially, but immoral, especially as they charge the employer.... The USA/MI is shit at actually helping people. leaving that task for another day
Old 02-25-2020, 12:52 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Sound financially, but immoral, especially as they charge the employer.
To close that chain the layers probably made at least $20 million. Unemployment benefits for everyone add up to a rounding error in that deal. Get it and if it makes you feel bad give it back.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #15
monster

Jumping through the hoops to get it makes me feel bad.