The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 29th, 2018 : Fix It

OK, not exactly an IOtD picture but the story, and lesson, blew my skirt up so deal with it.

The Minnesotastan tells this story...

Quote:
"They don't make 'em like they used to."
That dictum is often applied to products like small appliances, and it was the mindset we had when our 35-year-old Hoover vacuum cleaner gave up the ghost. We researched replacements, but this one had worked so well for so long that we agreed that if it could be repaired for less than $100 it would be worth it.

We took it in yesterday to a local company on Odana Road here in Madison. The young fellow at the desk greeted us, asked a few questions, then put it on his counter and proceeded to take it apart. That surprised me, since I was expecting to get an approximate cost and an estimated time for how long it would take to order replacement parts for a 35-year-old model.

He found the drive belt that had been totally worn out, had a replacement on hand which he inserted, cleaned a couple dirty parts, put it back together, and we were "good to go."
Elapsed time: probably 15 minutes
Total cost (parts and labor): less than $4.00
If you're sick of buying crap at wally world that has to be replaced on a regular basis because it can't be repaired, take heed.
Buy better stuff and it will pay off in the long run. Even old used stuff at yard sales can be a better investment than disposable crap.

30 years ago I installed a Sears Vacuum in the cellar and piped it to 3 outlets in the walls of the first floor plus one on the second floor.
Just open the flap door and plug in the hose, the vacuum starts automatically.
Haven't had a lick of trouble from it, and don't expect to.

Break the cycle of crap through your life and wallet...
unless your marriages/relationships don't last as long as wally world crap.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #2
glatt

The filtering on newer machines can be better. Less fine dust getting blown through the bag. But that's the only advantage they have. Dyson is the worst offender when it comes to cheap build quality. They have great marketing though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When I first hooked up that central vacuum one of the first uses was to have my wife hold the hose while I cut out a section of plaster wall with a sawzall. It worked great with no mess at all.
When I opened the cellar door to put the saw away it looked like an arctic blizzard down there with plaster dust.

Then I decided yes, I will route the exhaust outside as recommended.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Ha!
Old 01-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Within a half hour of reading this yesterday morning, I started the process of making a loaf of bread in my machine.
I discovered the little kneading paddle had done what appears to be a thorough bunk. No paddle, no bread, so a call to Oster for a new one. Initial Google search led me to expect about $3-5 with the usual tax/handling/shipping dance.
The Oster parts guy did his own little almost convincing dance pretending to search for info on the part.
My, my it is obsolete and no longer available, and oh yes they have a nice sale on a new machine.
It looks to me like Oster came up with this little cynical and dishonest scam to render all their previous bread makers unusable, even to the extent that 90% of online parts suppliers also show obsolete/unavailable notes.
Amazon did have a supplier that would sell me one for $20!
I let myself be suckered into ordering one of those and discovered some "universal" ones this morning for $2.50, so I got one of those too.
I decided to contact Oster complaining about this racket and telling them that since I now needed a new bread machine, it would NOT be one of theirs.
You want futility? The machinations of American industry have left this:

https://www.newellbrands.com/our-brands

Hello, is this Mr. Newell?
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
newtimer
Operations Operative

A few years ago, I bought a new electric blanket at Target, with an electronic thermostat. Cost $100. Less than a year later, it stopped working. Chinese-made piece of crap.
Meanwhile, my mom's American-made electric blanket from the 1980s is still working like it did the day it was made. No electronics to magically stop working. It's controlled by a mechanical thermostat. It makes a 'click' sound as it cycles on and off through the night, but who cares if it clicks? It works!
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
You want futility? The machinations of American industry have left this:

https://www.newellbrands.com/our-brands
Name:  paddle.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  21.0 KB

That one prolly won't fit/work?

your link->oster->parts/accessories->bread makers

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Well, I also bought a "universal" one that looks promising. $2.50 including shipping and tax. F*** Oster.

BTW grav, your link leads to

Availability:

"This item is currently not available online."
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Apparently I didn't go far enough.

I suppose that's the exclusion that applies.

Carry on.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote