The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

High School Hockey Mom

This era started tonight! (yes, season doesn't actually start until November, he is still in middle school -which isn't out yet- but high school summer practice started).

We were in touch with coach several months ago, GoalieBoy has skated with the team a couple of times. Coach sent me an email saying #2goalie was playing out and playing so well that he planned to bring GoalieBoy in as #2 and keep the other skater out in the field. well, I guess he didn't count on all the skilled freshmen (from GoalieBoy's house team lthis year) arriving on the scene. Suddenly lack of talent and numbers is no longer the problem it was ans to-be-former-goalie#2 was back in the crease. And then one of goalieboy's teammates decided he had a better chance as a goalie. Or something. we're not sure. but padded up tonight. he was satisfyingly crap, but wtf? You don't do that the goalie who has saved your ass all year. "oh I could just throw on some pads and take your place....."

And the fundraising required is mandatory, unpleasant and political. (imaginary)toes have already been stepped on -like when you sit on an imaginary friend by accident) and unfortunately, they were the toes of the water polo coach's family. There's a rumor Polo girl's coach will also be taking over the boys' team this year. I so hope that is true so I do not have to continue to tread on eggshells around this family.

Ugh. the details are for another time, but I brought in the big guns. they've ben quiet for a while. not surw I fixed it yet, but I may have.

but GoalieBoy rocked practice tonight and despite feeling he could have played a lot better, admitted he was probably at least #2 goalie out there tomight. Which is what we rookie parents thought too.

unfortunately (ish) #1goalie's mom is team manager. But He's a senior.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
glatt

High School hockey mom! Taking it all up to another level. On and off the ice.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
monster

two highschoolers, yes. interesting times. Same high school fortunately. Sadly Polo girl won't be driving alone by fall when it'd girls swim season and boys polo season and they alternate early practices
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post

We were in touch with coach several months ago, GoalieBoy has skated with the team a couple of times. Coach sent me an email saying #2goalie was playing out and playing so well that he planned to bring GoalieBoy in as #2 and keep the other skater out in the field. well, I guess he didn't count on all the skilled freshmen (from GoalieBoy's house team lthis year) arriving on the scene. Suddenly lack of talent and numbers is no longer the problem it was ans to-be-former-goalie#2 was back in the crease. And then one of goalieboy's teammates decided he had a better chance as a goalie. Or something. we're not sure. but padded up tonight. he was satisfyingly crap, but wtf? You don't do that the goalie who has saved your ass all year. "oh I could just throw on some pads and take your place....."
So.....

It's been the 4 goalies at all practices.... the first game was last night. All 4 dressed. Goalie #1 (senior) started, let in 4 in the first. Goalie boy went in in the second period, let in 3, but also some great saves. Goalie#1 played the last period, but let in another3 for a 9;10 loss. Goalie#2 and Pretender stayed on the bench.

Tonight, we knew #2 was starting (#1 not available) and assumed pretender would be the 2nd period intermission (easier team). I wasn't able to go, but here's what I learned.....

#2 goalie let in 2 in 1st period. Goalie boy was put in for the second. He let in this many goals:

Then he was back in for the third and let in 2, but they won 5:4 ...and apparently many compliments abounded from parents, coaches, and oppo coaches. So pissed that I didn't see it, but the report totally rescued my shitty day

And pretender hasn't even seen the ice. Yes, the charitable bone in my body is also on vacation.

The sad thing is, Pretender isn't actually a bad field player these days. If he'd taken the opportunity to ge coached playing out, he might even have made it.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
monster

Hmm. I guess an update if anyone's interested.... Second game (I wasn't there ) last years #2 started and played first period. Goalie Boy was put in for the second and let nothing in, so played the whole third too.

Third game ... #1 played the whole game. GoalieBoy and LY#2 sat and watched (dressed, but no action).

Pretender broke a toe on one foot and had an ingrown toenail dealt with on the other.

Goalieboy overheard the other players talking saying that LY#2 has no idea that Goalieboy is better than him. The parents don't either. It's a new school, new team. This is the first year there may be cuts. I don't think they realize seniority means very little. Fingers crossed....

......but if he doesn't make it, he's been rocking the swimming. the swimmers from all 3 AA high schools attend a 7am 2 hour practice run by coaches from two of the schools at an open-air 50y pool for the first 6 weeks of summer (summer league season). He hated it at first and now hew owns it. Literally. It's 7am it's cold, it's early. There's a little kudos comes with being the first in. he grabbed that nutcase opportunity. now if we're arriving last minute we hear... "OK, GoalieBoy is here to start us off..." he's still tiny. but that's not what they all notice about him anymore. They know his name and they know he's up for it.

These off-season practices seem to harsh and grueling, but they've been so good for him. he has the High School Boy swimmer swagger now. And a new rainbow Speedo that arrived today -his trademark

Oh, and after the two hours swimming, He trains with the polo team for two hours and is looking like he might make a good goalie there too..... (The polo is why we have him swimming -Polo season starts weeks before school does.... in about 5 weeks.)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Is he going to go to any classes in between games?

Rainbow speedos? That could start rumours. His call.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
monster

it's summer break, He doesn't actually start high school until September

Ann Arbor is all about the rainbow one of his teachers is featured in this story

http://www.annarbor.com/news/educati...tner-benefits/
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That just ain't right, that judge should be horsewhipped. No child should be saddled with a hyphenated last name.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
monster

Probably 25% of the kids round here have hyphenated last names. about one third of those have straight parents. #wildlymadeupstatsbutyougettheidea
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh yes, plenty of regular old straight seemingly normal parents hang their poor kids with hyphenated names, and should be horse whipped for it.

They don't consider how many forms that kid will fill out in their lifetime, half with barely enough space for Smith, no less Herkamer-Jerkamer.

Then Herkamer-Jerkamer marries Stupider-Dumber, and what happens to their poor kid? Huh? Huh? My god, think of the children.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
monster

hate to agree, but I do. One of the reasons I changed my name when we married.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
monster

Goalie boy dong well, just shelled out several hundred for Kevlar mask (helmet) *gulp*

Today was pre-season clean-up day at high school pool. both went. Boys' swim coach was there. poor guy had been excited to see goalie boy's name on the long-course practice roster with near perfect attendance (who knew the coaches reported back? it's an optional all-school thing...) He was very disappointed to learn goalie-boy still plans to play hockey (swimming and hockey are the same season). says he might look into finding a way to do both........ I'm flattered on GB's behalf, but he just wants the coach to stop nagging
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Goalie boy dong well, just shelled out several hundred for Kevlar mask (helmet) *gulp*

--snip
oh well, still cheaper than X hundreds for reconstructive surgery. When I played polo in high school I watched one of the girls on our team break the nose of one of the guys on the other team. She got ejected; we still won the game. No word about the degree of disfigurement the kid on the other team suffered/suffers.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
monster

And he made the team. 2nd Goalie. But he was warned that #3 (LY#2) will be looking to reclaim his spot...

Old 11-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

That's fine because Goalie Boy is probably looking to claim the number 1 spot!