Quote:
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy, O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!"
Maybe if squirrel sings this to his wife she'll let him build the boat.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
so is this the one you are going to make?

If you do build one, you should document the steps in this thread with pictures. I've made a stitch and glue plywood kayak. I'd love to see a thread on more traditional techniques, if that's what you are doing.
I'm narrowing down my choices right now and, yes, it is all about the traditional construction techniques. I'd like to try a lapstrake boat. I'm telling myself, that's what clapboards are.

I'll post pics of the contenders soon.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #33
casimendocina
Professor

Cool! Can't wait to see it. I feel the urge to do a Japanese girl clap of excitement here (jump and down pigeon toed and squeal sugoooooooooi for those not familiar with it).
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #34
squirell nutkin

Will you wear a sailor uniform while you do it? I'll sing the Australian Sailor's Hornpipe if you do.

I hit a gumption trap with the siding today so I pulled out the canoe and stripped all the fiberglass off the outside of the hull. I am now debating whether to replace the outer (and probably inner) gunwales. The ones I have on now are ash and they got pretty beaten up one year and show spalting with incipient rot so I stained them dark brown, but I hate the dark look. If I re-do them it will be either with Mahaogany (which is outrageously expensive right now) or maybe spruce. The biggest problem is that they are screwed and epoxied, so I'm not sure how they will come off. On the other hand, if they do come off it will make re-glassing a lot easier.

Either way it is a lot of work. Next up will be sanding and re-fairing the hull.

Glatt, do you have any pictures of your stitch and glue kayak? Is that like a Baidarka?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #35
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Will you wear a sailor uniform while you do it? I'll sing the Australian Sailor's Hornpipe if you do.
As fair a tradeoff as that sounds, me wearing a sailor uniform (or even just a Japanese girl's school uniform) would just be wrong.

Sounds like you're making amazing progress already-Is your wife on board with the boat project?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #36
squirell nutkin

She's on board (ha ha) with the canoe re-glassing project as she likes to canoe. This is satisfying the itch for now as I not only don't have the $ to start a boat (not even funds that can be misappropriated) but until the addition is finished, I have no where to build it. Not even sure about it then.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #37
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Glatt, do you have any pictures of your stitch and glue kayak? Is that like a Baidarka?
Stitch and glue is a construction technique where you cut up thin plywood (quarter inch) into panels, and then you join them together by drilling little holes, spaced every few inches near the panel edges. You cut up some copper wire into 4 inch lengths. You bring the panels next to one another, and starting at one end, you stitch the panels together by using the wires like twist ties through the holes. As you go along, the boat magically comes into shape. You don't tighten the twist ties too tight at first, so you can adjust things a little and make the curves fair, but once everything in in the right place, you tighten it all up. The boat is pretty stiff and rigid at this point and looks like frankenstein with lots of ugly wire poking out all over the place. You flip it over and use thickened epoxy to caulk along all the seams on the inside. Backed with fiberglass tape. Once the epoxy hardens, you flip it back again, and snip off all the wires, and sand them flush with the hull. Then you glass the hull.

It's a very fast way to build a boat, and probably the second cheapest, after skin on frame, where you stretch fabric over a frame.

I built my kayak in about 40 hours, I think.

It looks pretty good, but is not as pretty as a stripper, or a lapstrake. Most people looking at it will be blown away, but you'll know that if you had spent 500 hours, you could have built a truly beautiful boat using more traditional techniques.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #38
glatt

Pictures.

This is stitching the panels together. An hour or two of exciting progress. You start the session with some flat pieces of plywood, and a short while later it looks like a real boat.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #39
glatt

Glue the seams with epoxy. Add some bulkheads and braces.

Flip it back after the epoxy inside hardens. Looks like Frankenstein with all those wires poking out.
Attached Images

Last edited by glatt; 07-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #40
glatt

Snip the wires off and sand the joints a bit. Fiberglass the hull.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #41
glatt

I skipped the part where I nailed a 3mm deck to the hull. No pictures of that because it was a tricky process bending the plywood and nailing it down as I went.

Here's the finished boat. I was supposed to varnish it to protect the epoxy from UV rays, but I never did. It's stored in the dark, so it's been fine for the past 9 years.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #42
glatt

Oh, and it floats.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #43
squirell nutkin

Beautiful! I like that technique. The lines look graceful which is not always the case with plywood boats.
It's got me thinking about a kayak. How does the boat handle? Do you get to use it much?

I just discovered enough cedar in my basement to make about 136 nine-foot strips. Not enough for a canoe, but maybe a small kayak.

The boards are 11/16, by the time I mill the bead and cove they'd be a shy 5/8.

I have a book by Gil Gilpatrick where he uses 2x4 stock, knots and all and makes very utilitarian boats. Maybe I can make a hybrid.

By the way, I noted the boom box in one of the shots, it seems no construction/shop photo is complete w/o one.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #44
glatt

The boat's in Pennsylvania, where my family has a cabin on a lake. So I use it about one weekend a year.

It's designed to be an open water boat, so it goes fast and straight. It's excellent on a lake or bay. It's a little hard to turn, so it would suck in a river. You have to lean to the side to lift the bottom out of the water and create a more round waterline to turn easily. Otherwise, it takes a good 30 seconds to make a turn using big sweeping strokes.

I like it. It's really fast.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #45
casimendocina
Professor

What would be the cost of all the tools that you need to set yourself up for a project like this? Would the normal tools that most blokes have in their shed be sufficient or is special stuff required?