The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 14, 2010: Paging Hansel and Gretel

Yo Hansel! Hey Gretel! Your gingerbread house is ready... almost.

Quote:
The Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls, Canada, is preparing its third annual giant gingerbread house, complete with more than 600 pounds of gingerbread, 1,000 pounds of icing, 2,000 chocolate wafers, 750 cookies and 4,900 pretzels.
Construction of its two-story-high wooden frame began Monday, and today a culinary team will begin applying confections to the life-size candy cottage. Three full-time bakers, an executive chef and one sous chef will be dedicated to the project for the next two weeks.

Quote:
"People stop in their tracks, the kids' eyes open up, and they just stand awestruck at this thing," Simmonds told AOL News. "And then when they figure out that it actually is made of candy, we see them secretly and discreetly trying to sneak away and get a piece of icing sugar that's hanging off to eat or grab a piece of licorice that's on a door. And that would be kids of all ages."
He said it happens about every five minutes.
"We do a lot of repairs on the fly and overnight. We try to keep people off as much as we can, but it's part of the fun. I mean, it is a totally edible structure."
They charge an extra $20, which goes to charity, to eat dinner inside the house. Then after New Years they tear it down.

Quote:
"With the amount of hands and such that have been around it, it goes into the composting," Simmonds said. "We save the structure, then have to compost the consumables."
link
Old 11-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They charge an extra $20, which goes to charity, to eat dinner inside the house.
Yup, I'd pay. What a wonderful idea.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I want one!

ETA - ever notice how so many fairy tales revolve around food/hunger? My favorite, Little Red Riding Hood, is a flat out foodie nightmare as is the Hansel and Gretl story - all about the dangers of gluttony.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'd have to be hungry enough to eat one to even let a child in my house.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
[...] My favorite, Little Red Riding Hood, is a flat out foodie nightmare [...]
Yeah, don't wolf down your food. It'll feel like stones in your tummy.
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
casimendocina
Professor

Has anyone seen the Heston's Feasts episode where he makes the gingerbread house? The whole thing is edible including the windows and doormat. The windows were made of baked liquid sugar and made to look like leadlight. He apparently wanted the guests to break the windows to get into the house which they did (not sure how much of this was contrived). The doormat, I think, was made of chocolate and had Welcome sprinkled in icing sugar across it. Like all of the Heston Feasts episodes, incredible.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I had to Google Heston's Feasts, very entertaining.
I couldn't find a video of the gingerbread house, but...

Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
casimendocina
Professor

That part of the episode with Germaine Greer was very entertaining.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote