The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #31
W.HI.P
Free
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,513
jews believe all gentiles[non-jews], should be killed, and their children.
muslims believe all infidels[non-muslims] should be converted, or else killed.
christianity has killed more innocent people for not being christian than all other religions combined.
the pink unicorn, which ever one of the above he actually is, is one mean motherfucker.
__________________
pls stfu k thx
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
W.HI.P
Free
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,513
hopefully all 3 pink unicorns are real, then we could erase the crudest species off this planet.... but no, that kind of blessing does not await this world.
__________________
pls stfu k thx
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #33
classicman
Chock full O' facts
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21,550
Whippin post, did you really do that poorly in the football pool to take it out on all of humanity?
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #34
W.HI.P
Free
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Whippin post, did you really do that poorly in the football pool to take it out on all of humanity?
i didn't particpate in the football pool.
not that winning or losing monopoly money would alter my emotions anyways.
whats wrong there classicman, is the topic to intense for you to particpate in?
__________________
pls stfu k thx
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #35
classicman
Chock full O' facts
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21,550
not at all - Pink Unicorns are one of my strong suits.

By the way smartypants, Didja notice the smilie? (Hold your mouse over it and see what it says. :p

(just bustin' your chops there big boy)
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #36
W.HI.P
Free
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
not at all - Pink Unicorns are one of my strong suits.
i don't like pink unicorns.
there's been hundreds and hundreds of various pink unicorns through-out history.
pink unicorns can be held responsible for the stupification of our kind.
who knows how advanced we'd be if we we're free from these blind-folds.


Quote:

(just bustin' your chops there big boy)
i figured you were, its becoming a daily thing for you.
am i your obsession?
__________________
pls stfu k thx
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #37
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P View Post
is the topic to intense for you to particpate in?
This topic isn't intense, just philosophical. The fact that you, being Canadian, directly benefits from a massive genocide and relocation of the native population along with the exploitation of people across the globe is an intense topic. Don't think that just because you live north of us doesn't mean you don't still benefit from the exact same things that you look down on us for.
__________________
I like my perspectives like I like my baseball caps: one size fits all.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #38
W.HI.P
Free
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
This topic isn't intense, just philosophical. The fact that you, being Canadian, directly benefits from a massive genocide and relocation of the native population along with the exploitation of people across the globe is an intense topic. Don't think that just because you live north of us doesn't mean you don't still benefit from the exact same things that you look down on us for.
there you go with the seperation thing again.
i'm speaking of humanity, as a whole, without any seperations.
we are a species that includes males and females of all races, from all nations.

all the damages that are made to this planet, are being made by us.
its not the cat or the trees or the fish, its us.
we're the bad guys.

and what is it that is causing us to be the bad guys?
is it not that which seperates us from all other species?
our mind.... which is dependant upon this temporary vessel.
if consciousness isn't dependant on this vessel, than it is a superior tool than this temporary one.
perhaps we're not all mature enough to function beyond this temporary self.
__________________
pls stfu k thx
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #39
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,695
Yeah...our intelligence as a species definitely separates us from the rest of the life on Earth. We can think ahead and strategically, we can figure out our needs and then create tools that help us fulfill those needs, we can mobilize for war and we can compromise in tough situations, we can over consume resources and we can replenish environments.

Quote:
perhaps we're not all mature enough to function beyond this temporary self.
This question is much more complicated then a simple yes or no. Much of our lifestyle is not sustainable but since we live in a world with boundaries, we will be forced to change.
__________________
I like my perspectives like I like my baseball caps: one size fits all.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #40
W.HI.P
Free
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post

This question is much more complicated then a simple yes or no. Much of our lifestyle is not sustainable but since we live in a world with boundaries, we will be forced to change.
perhaps it is the mind itself which is our greatest boundary.
speaking on a metaphysical level.
__________________
pls stfu k thx
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #41
DanaC
Better call Saul!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P View Post
and what is it that is causing us to be the bad guys?
is it not that which seperates us from all other species?
our mind.... which is dependant upon this temporary vessel.
I disagree. What renders us capable of wreaking havoc might be our intellects. What actually makes us do it, can usually be found in the older parts of our brain. We just clothe it in philosophy or the skins of pink unicorns as a rationalisation of our animal instincts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
If I had a pound for every time Torys have said they are going to sort out the country's problems then I'd be rich enough to live under one of their governments.
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #42
classicman
Chock full O' facts
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P View Post
i figured you were, its becoming a daily thing for you. am i your obsession?
nah - just nice to interact a bit with you outside of the gambling threads.
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #43
W.HI.P
Free
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I disagree. What renders us capable of wreaking havoc might be our intellects. What actually makes us do it, can usually be found in the older parts of our brain. We just clothe it in philosophy or the skins of pink unicorns as a rationalisation of our animal instincts.
the brain, thought ...thats what i was refering to.

killing off 90 percent of the shark population over the past 10 years, by catching them, cutting off their fins, and throwing the remaining body back in the water in order to sell a bowl of shark fin soup in the east for 100 bucks a bowl, is due to the belief that sharks have magical powers and keep people from getting cancer[false]

killing 1 miilion women[catholic church] because they had freckles or birthmarks[signs of satan], by burning them at the stake.

the poisoning of the air and the waters across the globe.

the imprisoment of all life forms.
our complete lack of respect when dealing with other species on this planet.
nagasaki, hiroshima... i don't care so much for the people lost, but our total lack of considering the rest of life that was lost and damaged.
we still, to this day have not considered it, not even for a second.

its our thoughts, our brain, our physical mind.... it is the cause for all these actions.

Quote:
nah - just nice to interact a bit with you outside of the gambling threads.
its all good classicman, i have been out before you know, you must have missed me.
__________________
pls stfu k thx
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #44
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,828
The reptilian brain.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #45
DanaC
Better call Saul!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,337
Quote:
the brain, thought ...thats what i was refering to.
No, you were referring to this:

Quote:
and what is it that is causing us to be the bad guys?
is it not that which seperates us from all other species?
our mind....
Our mind is what separates from other species and what allows us to cause such havoc. But it's our brains and specifically the older parts of it which lead us to act destructively, and competitively, and selfishly (as individuals or groups) and those parts of our brain are what link us to other species. The instincts which lead to our destructive behaviour are ancient and animal.


[eta] just as an additional point: religion doesn't create destruction and murderous intent; it can however be a vehicle for it. As can any mass concept. Religion stunting our development as a species can only really be argued against specific cases of development, applying it as a factor at a species level is too fraught with additional (often immeasurable) factors to be meaningful. What has potentially stunted our development as a species (and this only works if you believe there is an endgoal to our development, and a timeframe in which we ought really to have reached it, in other words an optimum speed of 'development') is us, specifically, our capacity for/instinctive desire to sublimate ourselves into a larger identity. Given that such an instinctive desire is most likely derived from a part of our brain much older than the mass identities we have fostered and given names to, one could make an argument for this being precisely where we 'should' be in our species' development.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
If I had a pound for every time Torys have said they are going to sort out the country's problems then I'd be rich enough to live under one of their governments.
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/

Last edited by DanaC; 11-14-2009 at 07:03 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Help fill the mug... click to donate
"In space, no one can hear you flame."
- Tim P Scott, scott@spectra.com

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.