The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

BigV 11-13-2007 05:56 PM

you're new here....

so you prolly don't know that in consideration for the coffee drinkers in the house, you should precede jokes that make you *snort* or bwahahahaha, like that one, with the little warning SCF. It means, Swallow Coffee First. woulda saved me a little mess here.

Not that I'm complaining!

Tink 11-13-2007 10:05 PM

Clean up on aisle 5!

Spexxvet 11-15-2007 01:04 PM

I'm not involved in Mea Culpa

Michaela 11-15-2007 01:04 PM

I just resigned from that. Good God! And I'm a pot stirrer?

Sundae 11-15-2007 02:36 PM

I have Water Workout tomorrow
and I'm looking forward to it

so two goods in one!

just realised the 20th is coming round again fast
now worrying there won't be any more difference than there was last month
but excited all the same - slow and steady wins the game

you know what? I think my mood is picking up!

lookout123 11-15-2007 02:40 PM

glad to hear it SG

shina 11-15-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 407459)
I have Water Workout tomorrow
and I'm looking forward to it

Good for you! I used to do that and it is tough! At least for me. Go get 'em!!

Chocolatl 11-15-2007 03:00 PM

Feeling Valuable

I've been interning at a middle school this semester, teaching 8th graders one day a week. Today was my last day, and most of the kids were actually sad to see me go. My host teacher had the kids sign cards for me, and I also handed out blank pieces of paper and asked them to write any advice they wanted to offer.

A lot of the "advice" was about not assigning homework and making sure to give out candy at any opportunity, but I think a lot of them also showed some serious thought. One student wrote "A good teacher is someone who is caring (treats the students like their own kids)." Another wrote "Don't yell at the students, they get really upset even if they don't show it."

My favorite line, though, was a statement in tiny handwriting inside one of the cards:
"I hope someday you can be my teacher."

bluecuracao 11-15-2007 03:11 PM

That is so sweet, Choco. You obviously made a really good impression on those kids.

Sundae 11-15-2007 03:15 PM

Well done Chocl, I am sure you deserved it.

Now this is a bit Bridget Jones, but today I found sausages that are only 2.2g fat. Now I'm not a big sausage eater - dumped them when I dumped the rest of my processed diet - but I'm going to freeze them. Sausage with poached egg & beans - pretty good impression of a friend breakfast. Sausage sandwich with brown sauce - ultimate binge treat without the related binge. Grilled sausages cooled and chopped into pasta sauce.

Oh I am a happy sausage child today. Also got a chilli & chocolate marinade. May have to think that one through in a while....

DanaC 11-15-2007 03:22 PM

Pilau now hates you. He is green with envy

bluecuracao 11-15-2007 03:24 PM

How can you tell with all that fur? lol

HungLikeJesus 11-16-2007 10:23 AM

Tomorrow morning we head for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, for two weeks. The vacation actually starts tonight, as we'll go to a hotel near the airport and leave our car there.

I'll have my computer, but probably no internet. I hope you don't all forget me while I'm gone.

kerosene 11-16-2007 10:44 AM

Have a great time! Perth and I went there for our honeymoon. It was great fun. Just don't get your wallet stolen in the Houston Airport like we did.

DanaC 11-16-2007 10:56 AM

Hunglike who? :p

Cicero 11-16-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 407711)
Tomorrow morning we head for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, for two weeks. The vacation actually starts tonight, as we'll go to a hotel near the airport and leave our car there.

I'll have my computer, but probably no internet. I hope you don't all forget me while I'm gone.

Hmmm....I'm still freezeing to death from being outside this morning.......I am shivering and trying to type....So are you going to be on a warm beach with an organic cocktail? Short version: how much should I despise this post right now?!? Most hotels have computers with internet access....There is no excuse for not keeping us posted so I may warm my cockles by the fire of my own petty jealousy.
:D

Have fun! And at least remember to take some photos to post here!

HungLikeJesus 11-16-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 407714)
Have a great time! Perth and I went there for our honeymoon. It was great fun. Just don't get your wallet stolen in the Houston Airport like we did.

We're flying direct. I don't want my wallet stolen until we get into Mexico.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 407721)
Hunglike who? :p

Jesus, you forgot already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 407726)
Hmmm....I'm still freezeing to death from being outside this morning.......I am shivering and trying to type....So are you going to be on a warm beach with an organic cocktail? Short version: how much should I despise this post right now?!? Most hotels have computers with internet access....There is no excuse for not keeping us posted so I may warm my cockles by the fire of my own petty jealousy.
:D

Have fun! And at least remember to take some photos to post here!

I don't associate New Mexico with cold. How cold was it?

Most of the hotels we stay in don't even have running water, let alone internet. But if I can get a connection, of what would you like a picture?

Clodfobble 11-16-2007 11:41 AM

It's a girl! (Well, they're 90% sure anyway, there was this pesky umbilical cord in the way...)

jinx 11-16-2007 11:45 AM

Woohoo! Congrats :cheerldr:

Cicero 11-16-2007 11:48 AM

HLJ-I'll make it easy...just post the photos when you get back. It's vacation time, have fun! Oh, I want a beach sunset photo with you wearing something very attractive if you are taking requests.

35 degrees when I left the house this morning. We don't live in a low lying desert. We are at a high altitude, higher than people think. Before I got here I didn't even think it snowed here. I was so....so wrong. Naive about NM.......

Yes, we have to wear coats, gloves, and scarves right now like everyone in the north right now. All the photos of NM just look really hot unless you take a photo of all the snow. It's a desert, yet it is a high desert, and that makes all the difference. I was snowed in, in Taos, (on vacation) in May. Maybe not as cold as everyone else right now, but yes, cold.

Clod
- Wow, congratulations!!! Girls rock!!!

DanaC 11-16-2007 12:07 PM

Yey! Congrats Clod! All good wishes for the little clodchen

jester 11-16-2007 12:09 PM

Awesome, congrats Clob.

ZenGum 11-16-2007 12:16 PM

This

From CNN:

Quote:

When some of the world's leading religious scholars gather in San Diego this weekend, pasta will be on the intellectual menu. They'll be talking about a satirical pseudo-deity called the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whose growing pop culture fame gets laughs but also raises serious questions about the essence of religion.

The appearance of the Flying Spaghetti Monster on the agenda of the American Academy of Religion's annual meeting gives a kind of scholarly imprimatur to a phenomenon that first emerged in 2005 ....
RAmen!

:fsm: :fsm: :fsm: :fsm: :fsm: :fsm: :fsm: :fsm:

Chocolatl 11-16-2007 12:18 PM

Congrats Clod! :thumb:

HungLikeJesus 11-16-2007 12:23 PM

In concept, FSM is really no different than Scientology or Mormonism.

edit: different from or different than?

DanaC 11-16-2007 12:36 PM

from or to.....I think 'to' actually.

Something differs from...but is different to...I think.

Clodfobble 11-16-2007 12:41 PM

I think in this case you mean different from. "Than" would imply that Scientology and Mormonism are different (from something else, i.e. standard religions) and FSM is no more different than they are. At the very least, "than" would require a modifier like "more" or less to indicate a side (like you could say A is uglier than B, but not "A is as ugly than B.")

Are you sad you asked? :)

Edit: regarding Dana's post, "different to" is entirely a British idiom.

DanaC 11-16-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Edit: regarding Dana's post, "different to" is entirely a British idiom.
Ahh. I didn't realise that.

HungLikeJesus 11-16-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 407772)
from or to.....I think 'to' actually.

Something differs from...but is different to...I think.

Dana, I'm glad we had this exchange. It inspired me to look up different.

Here's what it says about different in Dictionary.com:
Quote:

—Usage note Although it is frequently claimed that different should be followed only by from, not by than, in actual usage both words occur and have for at least 300 years. From is more common today in introducing a phrase, but than is also used: New York speech is different from (or than) that of Chicago. Than is used to introduce a clause: The stream followed a different course than the map showed. In sentences of this type, from is sometimes used instead of than; when it is, more words are necessary: a different course from the one the map showed. Regardless of the sentence construction, both from and than are standard after different in all varieties of spoken and written American English. In British English to frequently follows different: The early illustrations are very different to the later ones. The use of different in the sense “unusual” is well established in all but the most formal American English: The décor in the new restaurant is really different.
So different words can be used after different, and the different words are different in American and British English.

Does anyone have a different opinion?

Perry Winkle 11-17-2007 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 407786)
Does anyone have a different opinion?

"Different from" and "different to" sound foreign to me. I understand them, but they are definitely a linguistic out-marker to me.

I routinely hear both now that I live in the UK. Before I came here, "different to/from" wasn't something I heard said.

If you want, I can try and formalize some of the grammatical oddities in the speech here (I'm talking mainstream British English, not Geordie) and post it in another thread.

DanaC 11-17-2007 04:21 AM

oh good idea. I'd also be interested in any geordie quirks you come up with too:P

DucksNuts 11-17-2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 407744)
It's a girl! (Well, they're 90% sure anyway, there was this pesky umbilical cord in the way...)

Congrats Clod on the pink!!!

I heard "its a girl" for the many many weeks after ultrasound confirmation. Imagine my surprise when at 35 weeks I saw a penis on the ultrasound!!

Aliantha 11-17-2007 04:59 AM

did you dye all the pink things purple? lol

LJ 11-17-2007 08:42 AM

I'm going to surpise my boy with a trip to a football game tomorrow....

I'm not going to tell him where we're going.....just take him there. He's been to a couple Phillies games, but never an Eagles game. It would have been better if it was the Cowboys, but I couldnt get 2 for that game and it was a night game anyway. The Dolphins are coming this week, so it should be a decent game between two struggling teams.

Gotta figure out where to stop and get a couple of good hoagies on the way to the game....diet be damned.

xoxoxoBruce 11-17-2007 12:38 PM

Will they let you take hoagies into the game or do you have to eat them ahead of time?

LJ 11-17-2007 12:46 PM

they let food in...in clear bags.

Quote:

Prohibited Items and Behavior
In conjunction with the National Football League and for the safety of our Guests and employees, the following are prohibited:
Smoking (except in designated areas)
Bags larger than 12 x 12 x 12
Alcohol
Animals (except service animals to aid Guests with disabilities)
Bottles, cans and beverage containers of any kind
Thermoses
Food not wrapped in clear plastic*
Hard sided coolers*
Umbrellas
Fireworks, firearms and weapons of any kind
Footballs
Laser Pointers
Noisemakers
Signs or flags on sticks or poles
Strollers**
Video cameras and the use of video capable cell phones
Ticket scalping
Abusive, foul or disruptive language
Throwing Objects
Trespassing, soliciting, peddling and loitering
Any other item or action deemed dangerous or inappropriate
Guests who appear to be inebriated and unmanageable will not be permitted admittance into the stadium.
Any attempt to bring alcohol into the stadium will be considered a violation of the Code of Conduct and may result in the Guest being ejected, arrested or tickets being revoked. All persons and/or their belongings are subject to search. Violators of the rules of any State or City laws will be refused admission, asked to leave or ejected from stadium property.

*Exceptions will be made for those with medical requirements and/or special needs.
**Strollers must be checked at a Guest Services Center located on the concourse behind Sections 121, 136, 206 or 226.

Ibby 11-18-2007 06:30 AM

I'm typing this right now on my NEW iPod touch!

TheMercenary 11-18-2007 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJ (Post 408078)
they let food in...in clear bags.

I bet people still sneak alky hall in there. :D

ZenGum 11-18-2007 10:43 AM

Re: banned items at the football.

Does it mention beating off on the scoreboard? Maybe that comes (sorry) under "action deemed ... inappropriate".

In Austra-ya, smuggling booze into the cricket is half the fun. Of course the gatekeepers remove tops from drink bottles and sniff the contents. Clever types have taken to using hypodermic needles to inject vodka into oranges, or preparing watermelons by cutting a hole, pouring in vodka, freezing it, and taking slices of frozen melon in the esky (icebox).

ZenGum 11-18-2007 10:56 AM

Making me happy RFN is my new pair of pants.
It has got cccoollllllddddd here recently, and today I stopped by a shop and found some nice warm pants: thick wool with some kind of lining (synthetic? satin?), very well made, fit well ... and only 1100 yen (about $10).
They're not very stylish, but they're aren't mean to be cool, they're meant to be WARM. And they are ! :)

DucksNuts 11-18-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 408202)
I'm typing this right now on my NEW iPod touch!

If you werent so cute...I'd hate you right now :)

Aliantha 11-18-2007 05:07 PM

They wouldn't let people take watermelons into the gabba this year.

I think they're onto that scheme.

I don't know about the oranges though.

jinx 11-18-2007 06:23 PM

I got a brand new niece/nephew set this morning!

ZenGum 11-18-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 408355)

Congratulations!

Relatives: collect the whole set!

Clodfobble 11-18-2007 09:01 PM

Sweet! Congrats to your sister, jinx!

jester 11-19-2007 01:57 PM

Fixed dinner for the guys here at work. It's usually pretty good having all of them around at the same time.

Michaela 11-19-2007 07:29 PM

Nice blind date Friday night. And he called back on Sunday. Yay.

shina 11-19-2007 07:52 PM

Congratulations! I've been on a couple of blind dates. Scary 'till you get there. But my friends know me well so they know what to look for.

bluecuracao 11-20-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 408355)

Wow, your sister really was ready to pop any minute. Congrats to the family!

BigV 11-20-2007 09:50 AM

I found a flashlight I had written off as lost forever. It was in my foul weather gear, broken out today for the first time this season. :)

Shared a ride to work today with Tink. :) :)

Dear friends flying into town today from out of state. We'll have lunch. Haven't seen them in years. :)

LabRat 11-21-2007 09:25 AM

Congrats to aunt jinx! Twins, whew...

Finding stuff that you thought was gone forever, always awesome.

ME? Snow advisory for today!!! I :heartpump :heartpump :heartpump snow.

kerosene 11-21-2007 09:26 AM

We have it, too!

Shawnee123 11-21-2007 09:35 AM

I got an unexpected Happy Thanksgiving phone call that made me all giddy and silly! :grinnylov

DanaC 11-21-2007 09:40 AM

Oh really? *interest peaked* ya did did ya?

Shawnee123 11-21-2007 09:41 AM

lol...yeah.

Don't worry, nothing that will interest y'all. ;)

DanaC 11-21-2007 09:53 AM

Oh hey, congrats on the auntie thing Jinx *smiles*

Cloud 11-21-2007 03:34 PM

4 day weekend, woo!

LabRat 11-21-2007 03:40 PM

Oh yeah! It's snowing . . . it's snowing . . . it's snowing!!!!!

Sundae 11-21-2007 04:22 PM

No snow here, but the rain is making a good sound on my skylight
I had a jacket potato for tea, even though I didn't want to eat
I've sorted out the issue with the milk with HM (he didn't realise I don't like UHT milk, so he hadn't considered it "run out" - it's been stressing me out since Monday!) so I can have a smoothie for breakfast tomorrow
I went to the gym, did Water Workout and still had the energy to go to Woolwich and change my library books
I brought home The Time Traveller's Wife because it feels like an old friend
Even though it's raining I have an umbrella which I adore and a pair of leather shoes, which I will start breaking in tomorrow

There. Positive Mental Attitude

Ibby 11-22-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 409342)
Oh yeah! It's snowing . . . it's snowing . . . it's snowing!!!!!

FUCK YOU.

bitch.

...yeah okay sorry dear. I just, miss winter. A lot.