The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34936)

monster 03-13-2020 08:38 AM

are all golf courses closed yet?

glatt 03-13-2020 09:30 AM

Literally every plan we had for this weekend has been cancelled.

So I just made camping reservations. Campfire and 'smores for the family, alone on the side of a mountain.

We have a favorite state park campsite that virtually nobody knows about and we always get it to ourselves. May as well isolate ourselves in beautiful scenery instead of going stir crazy.

Happy Monkey 03-13-2020 09:53 AM

DC is closing schools through the end of the month. I suspect my parents' babysitting duties are about to explode.

Undertoad 03-13-2020 10:12 AM

My informed Twitter is finding Chinese government media pushing two ideas. A) The virus originated in the US and B) China's helpful reaction gave the rest of the world time.

Both ideas are ludicrous on their face... but one party governments do what they do best.

glatt 03-13-2020 11:09 AM

Arlington County Virginia just closed their schools for a month.

Flint 03-13-2020 11:26 AM

Extended, two-week spring break for my kids' school district.

Today I am sure I have a cold-- sore throat, congested nose. I am staying home from work. I work at a hospital. I do IT work, but I'm there. I eat from the cafeteria, I use the bathrooms. I was already obsessive about hand hygiene, but I've been especially careful.

I know people in my small community who have medical conditions affecting their respiratory/immune systems. Hearing that I'll probably be okay but they might die is supposed to make me feel better.

Griff 03-13-2020 11:33 AM

Andrew Cuomo gave a speech in which he asked the Fed Gov to turn over testing to the State Gov. Strange times when I agree with AC about stuff but here we are.

glatt 03-13-2020 02:49 PM

It's official. I'm supposed to work from home for the next two weeks.

Flint 03-13-2020 03:20 PM

Another thing I overheard at work that I can't stop thinking about...
From one of the people complaining about the "liberals" and "Democrats" being the real problem:

"There only, like, 30 cases in the whole country!"

The next morning, the Governor of my state announces in a press conference that there are 19 cases in my STATE, and by the end of the broadcast, the announcer corrects that number with the new official number, 21 cases. By the end of the day the official number of cases in my state was up to 24 --almost as many as a guy working at a HOSPITAL in THIS STATE thought there were in the WHOLE COUNTRY. Because he's a Republican. I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's the reason.

also, you know, the whole world ecosystem is destabilizing and the temperate zone for growing crops is going to shift to non-fertile soils, and border walls won't be able to hold back all the climate refugees, but that's a problem for :::checks notes::: also right now

Undertoad 03-13-2020 04:39 PM

Oh those are just the same old regular sunglasses

Flint 03-13-2020 04:50 PM

both sets of sunglasses can exist at the same time

I agreed with your original post, and it's something I think about all the time. In interpersonal affairs I once read [something like] when you get really upset at someone it represents that same part of yourself, that you don't acknowledge. This isn't true in every case (I don't think) but I always inwardly check myself with little prompts like, "do I do that same thing?"

Flash forward to politics, our self un-awareness is now this socially reinforced thing, and I think about that a lot, in no small part because of being exposed to your misanthropic centrism for all these years.

In short, how they treated Obama is exactly how we treat Trump, yet we'll dismiss how they treat the next guy, because it's how we treated Trump, without seeing the irony. My sunglasses are working just fine. If I let them prevent me from seeing things that are happening right in front of my face, that would be a problem.

Clodfobble 03-13-2020 06:24 PM

Had to go to the grocery store this morning to pick up a prescription. Toilet paper has been out of stock for 2-3 days at least, but today, at 8:30 in the morning, the store was so packed that all the checkout lines had backed up until they merged into one long line that snaked fully 1/3 of the way around the perimeter of the store.

Clodfobble 03-13-2020 06:30 PM

Also, the school hasn't yet committed to staying closed after spring break, but they announced that they have a plan in place for kids with no dedicated computer at home to check one out from the school if they close--and more tellingly, they instructed all the kids to take home all their books and notebooks from their lockers over the break just in case.

As I was picking up my kids' stash of lunch meds from the school (I told the nurse I'll bring them back if/when we return, but I can't afford to have a week's worth of their meds stuck inside a locked school when the insurance only lets me refill every 30 days), the nurse confided to me that we already have two families self-isolating because their parents work at Dell and had direct contact with the Dell employee who tested positive...

Undertoad 03-13-2020 07:07 PM

The very worst aspect of Trump is that he's a divisive person at a divisive time. That's precisely what we don't need - worst case scenario. Or, maybe it's exactly what we need because we need to rip the band-aid off. I can't tell.

~

In a divisive time you have to work harder to determine truth. Because both sides prefer exaggeration, lies, and bullshit narratives as it becomes more important to support *their* version of truth than the actual truth. Emotionally, the sides are more important to everybody. Nobody is invested in the actual truth. This is what we are seeing.

(What's worse is, post-modernism then suggests that everyone's truth is true, because everything is relative, and then we wind up in a hole that deeper than we dug.)

BigV 03-13-2020 07:30 PM

Trump is the victim (this time) of "post-modernism"?

LOL.

The very worst aspect of Trump.... That's a good one. It's a vigorous competition, but being divisive is an undercard bout at best. Fundamentally, he's a bad person. The traits he displays, embraces, claims as his own, are what make him a bad person. Divisive... pffft--that's just a side effect.