The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34936)

Gravdigr 03-23-2020 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Regarding the crowd at Saitama:

Attachment 70089

Carruthers 03-23-2020 03:02 PM

As DanaC points out in her posts above, there is often a mixture of flexible interpretation of the rules and just plain ignoring them in public spaces.

On the other hand, I went to the local pharmacy to collect Dad's prescription this morning and the maximum number of people permitted inside was five at any one time.
However, an informal system of 'one out, one in' had emerged and a queue of people two paces apart was in operation outside.

While that worked well, my recent visits to the nearby supermarket didn't find any evidence of an outbreak of common sense or initiative.
I queued at the check out leaving the required space from the person in front, but the people behind me were breathing down one another's necks and ultimately mine.
Sometimes I despair.

Yesterday I had an Email from my mate in Oz.
His wife's sister had been staying with them for four weeks and had been due to return to the UK in a few days time..
She was concerned at how fast things were changing in terms of the suspension of international flights etc so re-booked her flight to arrive home yesterday.
Qantas charged her an additional £800 ($920) for the privilege.

Also my neighbour flew to Oz ten days ago to visit her son and his family with the intention of returning in mid April.
I understand that she is more or less stranded out there until the end of May, the resumption of flights permitting, but who knows?
At least she won't have to worry about huge hotel bills but it isn't an ideal situation.
She did tell me before she went that it would be her last big holiday so I hope that she enjoys it.

Undertoad 03-23-2020 03:48 PM

Brits just got the order to stay at home 3 weeks

Philadelphia region just got the stay at home order for 2 weeks today

Flint 03-23-2020 04:03 PM

Oregon "stay home" order started today, with no defined end-date.

On Saturday, the coast was overrun by tourists, and by Sunday every little town full of retired seniors and maybe one ICU bed had passed their own "DON'T COME HERE" ordinance. So the State-wide order is very welcome.

Griff 03-23-2020 04:31 PM

The husband of one of the ladies that runs the little outfit I work for owns and runs a grocery store. He is working and staying outside the home for fear of bringing it home. Brutal. They previously stopped the kids from working there. This thing is tearing people apart and yet some folks don't take it seriously at all. She also told me a home bound old-timer in their area recently tested positive. Somebody brought it to him.

Cuomo has a "forward" team for recommendations for turning life back on, but it seems like we're a long damn way from that.

Keene Valley NY is in a similar position to Flintlandia. They're begging tourists to stay away. They don't have health facilities for this kind of thing.

Flint 03-23-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1049149)
They're begging tourists to stay away. They don't have health facilities for this kind of thing.

One confirmed positive in my county. We're a 25-bed facility (total).

I hope this permanently cripples the Airbnb trade in our area, we already couldn't afford housing because of predatory land-lording. It only takes one unanticipated event to shine a light on how razor-thin the ice we've been skating on is.

Clodfobble 03-23-2020 06:06 PM

....Annnd there it is. Shelter in place for Austin.

glatt 03-23-2020 06:39 PM

graduation cancelled for the boy.

:(

BigV 03-23-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1049114)
"somebody claimed" is always likely to be wrong. Thank you sir!

sounds like "... people are saying..." "... many people are saying:...".

BigV 03-23-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1049138)
Regarding the crowd at Saitama:

Attachment 70089

paraphrasing Robert Heinlein: "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

sexobon 03-23-2020 07:32 PM

People are saying that the federal government is already mobilizing specialized units, with state-of-the-art tracking technology, to ensure no isolation violations will be perpetrated by the Easter Bunny.

We're on top of this one.

BigV 03-23-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1049147)
Oregon "stay home" order started today, with no defined end-date.

On Saturday, the coast was overrun by tourists, and by Sunday every little town full of retired seniors and maybe one ICU bed had passed their own "DON'T COME HERE" ordinance. So the State-wide order is very welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1049153)
....Annnd there it is. Shelter in place for Austin.

Governor Jay "The Snake" Inslee has ordered Washington residents that are not essential to shelter in place, exempting those that help us fight this outbreak, food and agriculture, critical government operations, the media, and he mentioned others, but I couldn't transcribe fast enough. "Restaurants, go to takeaway service asap."

"Enforceable by law."

BigV 03-23-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1049158)
People are saying that the federal government is already mobilizing specialized units, with state-of-the-art tracking technology, to ensure no isolation violations will be perpetrated by the Easter Bunny.

We're on top of this one.

DUCK SEASON!

BigV 03-23-2020 08:00 PM

In the same newscast, these figures were reported:

2200 confirmed cases
110 deaths.

tw 03-23-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1049158)
People are saying that the federal government is already mobilizing specialized units, ... to ensure no isolation violations will be perpetrated by the Easter Bunny.

Since all available eggs are in use creating that vaccine the president says is almost here, then the Easter Bunny will have no eggs to distribute. Even the Easter Bunny is unemployed?

Maybe we will only have a chocolate Easter.

Beer manufacturers and distributors are open. Are chocolate factories and stores open? Read the fine print .