The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 09-09-2012 06:31 PM

My back! I pulled something this morning and it hurt so bad i could hardly move and was whimpering like a wet kitten. I thought I was for sure PT bound (I have degeneration of the spine and a history of this type of injury....)

After two hours icing, I could move to go to the bathroom and take a shower. it still felt a little dodgy, but I decided to move around a litle and just be sure to bend at the knees ets...... It's all better now! :) So happy

(odds on waking up unavble to move tomorrow........ )

Lola Bunny 09-09-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 829429)
First cold front this morning! Goodbye 100 degrees, helllllloooooo 85!

Tell me about it. Stuck my head out this morning and found out it was a cool 68 degrees. Seemed like a sin not to go jogging. :p:

Lola Bunny 09-09-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 829465)
My back! I pulled something this morning and it hurt so bad i could hardly move and was whimpering like a wet kitten. I thought I was for sure PT bound (I have degeneration of the spine and a history of this type of injury....)

After two hours icing, I could move to go to the bathroom and take a shower. it still felt a little dodgy, but I decided to move around a litle and just be sure to bend at the knees ets...... It's all better now! :) So happy

(odds on waking up unavble to move tomorrow........ )

Sorry to hear this, Monster. Back pain can be a real b*tch. I've seen my mom and a few others with back pain. Hope you get better soon.

Undertoad 09-10-2012 10:15 AM

http://cellar.org/2012/pearl1.jpg

http://cellar.org/2012/pearl2.jpg

Pearl is already overexposed. But anyway.

These shots are one second before, one second after. What I did between was to call her name. "Pearl!"

She doesn't want to be interrupted, basking in the sun as she does. But on hearing her name, she opens her eyes and twists her left ear 90 degrees.

That means she heard her name, which is the amazing part. Pearl has been deaf for the last few months. She never heard her name or any whistles or commands. But now, for some reason, there she is, hearing!

My dog's hearing has returned, seemingly gone from 100% deaf to only 90% overnight. That makes me happy because it is a calming influence on her. Her behavior changed when she went deaf; she wants to keep an eye on me and follow me around, but when deaf she couldn't always identify changes in her surroundings. It would alarm her.

I took her for a vet visit a month ago to address her hearing loss, and they pretty much said, she seems otherwise normal, and there's nothing blocking her ears, so... well, geriatric dogs go deaf all the time. (Pearl's vet is the best in the area.)

But do dogs go un-deaf?

glatt 09-10-2012 10:21 AM

That's cool!

DanaC 09-10-2012 10:23 AM

Dante was deaf pretty much for the last two or three years of his life. But in that time, there were periods when his hearing seemed a little returned. I think it is a little like with humans, in that it's often a matter of being unable to pick out specific sounds and tones , rather than a complete loss of all sound.

She may have some small amount of hearing still there, but that is then affected by intime stuff (ear infections, local noise levels etc, tiredness).

[eta] lovely pair of photos Toad. She looks so sweet. An the slight movement of eyes and ears is cute.

Razzmatazz13 09-10-2012 10:25 AM

Yay for Pearl!! :)

I met a blind and deaf doggy once... she "saw" by hanging her head to the ground so her ears would touch and then swung her head back and forth. She was a sweetheart but I can't imagine what it'd be like as an owner to watch your dog go through that. :(

DanaC 09-10-2012 10:28 AM

It has its funny moments, having a deaf dog. Like when you're running across a playing field waving your arms about like a complete knob, intermittently clapping your hands together (the sharp sound sometimes got through) as the dog completely ignores you and continues following the wrong person home ;P

Undertoad 09-10-2012 10:36 AM

She gets a Greenie bone for her good work hearing.

http://cellar.org/2012/pearlgreenie.jpg

DanaC 09-10-2012 10:37 AM

Awwwww, look at her. How much is she enjoying that bone?

[eta] I've seen those toothbrush bone thingies in the pet store. Was always a bit edgy about them possibly upsetting his tum.

Undertoad 09-10-2012 10:48 AM

I've given her one a day for years, never had a problem. All the dog people around here seem to feel that Greenies are good and very digestible.

I do think they help her teeth. She still has them all. She has some tartar buildup on her back teeth, but the vet won't clean them, because she can't go under sedation due to her heart condition.

Gravdigr 09-10-2012 10:54 AM

A guy I used to work with had a Dalmation. He said for two years he thought she was the stupidest dog that ever lived. Then he figured out she was stone deaf.

I guess we know who was stupid, now.

Undertoad 09-10-2012 11:11 AM

Yeah that's a major thing with Dalmations. Only 70% of Dals have normal hearing and the breed organization says deaf puppies should be put down.

It seems like some breeds should not really be bred. English Bulldogs are totally awesome, but they have major health issues as they get older and they don't live very long. Great Danes only live 6-8 years. It's very sad.

Gravdigr 09-10-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 829586)
Yeah that's a major thing with Dalmations. Only 70% of Dals have normal hearing

It comes from sitting too close to the siren.

Aliantha 09-10-2012 05:31 PM

She might have felt the vibration of your voice if you were standing on the same patch of concrete UT. Specially since she was lying flat out on it.