The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Clodfobble 05-07-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche
Next time he takes a nap, I'll send juju your way that it will coincide with Fobette, so you can take one too =)

Oh they always coincide, by design. It's just that Minifobette actually sleeps, while Minifob usually just does calisthenics in his crib until I come and set him free again. I used to give him reprieve after about an hour and a half, but now I make him stay in until Minifobette wakes up, no matter how long that is. Otherwise he'll just wake her up, and that's no fun for anyone.

limey 05-09-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 561965)
I have to constantly remind myself to take the stress items in chronological order: 1.) getting the stepkids set up for summer vacation, 2.) Minifob's birthday, 3.) Family reunion wherein I am expected to host and plan most activities/food and at least two relatives will be staying at my house, 4.) actual occurrence of summer vacation with the stepkids, and only then 5.) Minifob's first day of (screaming at his abandonment in) school. Oh, and somewhere between steps 2 and 5 there will be a formal evaluation of Minifobette, and I will probably not be thrilled with the results. :yelsick:

I watch this thread in awe as you deal with all this stuff so magnificently, Clod! I have nothing much to add not being a parent'n'all but you DO have to believe that looking after yourself is a major and integral part of looking after everyone else. So I'd humbly suggest offloading some/all of the family reunion duties listed above. Just this once?

ETA: I love LOVE the way you're writing the recipes! You rock!

Clodfobble 05-09-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey
So I'd humbly suggest offloading some/all of the family reunion duties listed above. Just this once?

Yabbut, in all honesty, how? I have to do the cooking because none of the other relatives have any concept of cooking GFCF (most of them don't even know my kid's autistic yet.) Once I plan a menu and buy the ingredients, they can help me make it, sure, but the planning is the hard part. I'm working on offloading the activities section of things, but that has hazards: my cousin coming from North Carolina keeps talking about how many great outdoors things there are to do around here. Which is true--in the Spring. He has apparently been away for long enough to completely forget what 100 degree weather feels like.

xoxoxoBruce 05-10-2009 03:17 AM

Talk's cheap, the weather will slow the cousin down for ya. :haha:

limey 05-10-2009 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 564164)
Yabbut, in all honesty, how? I have to do the cooking because none of the other relatives have any concept of cooking GFCF (most of them don't even know my kid's autistic yet.) Once I plan a menu and buy the ingredients, they can help me make it, sure, but the planning is the hard part. I'm working on offloading the activities section of things, but that has hazards: my cousin coming from North Carolina keeps talking about how many great outdoors things there are to do around here. Which is true--in the Spring. He has apparently been away for long enough to completely forget what 100 degree weather feels like.

Well done on offloading the activities - once you've delegated leave it to them (that's the most difficult thing about delegating!).
Can you politely ask the two relatives who're expecting to stay with you that they make arrangements to stay somewhere else?
I dunno, but I think that's what I'd try to do.
Good luck anyway.

Clodfobble 05-10-2009 09:04 AM

They're staying here because they're both dead broke right now (through no fault of their own, they're generally upstanding contributing members of society)--another relative bought their plane tickets too. If they didn't sleep at my house, they couldn't come at all.

limey 05-10-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 564408)
They're staying here because they're both dead broke right now (through no fault of their own, they're generally upstanding contributing members of society)--another relative bought their plane tickets too. If they didn't sleep at my house, they couldn't come at all.

I thought that might be the case ... All I can do is send you supportive vibes ...

Clodfobble 05-17-2009 05:38 PM

Tiki reminded me (not her intention with that thread, I'm sure :lol:) that I finally got an updated video on Minifob's progress. Behold!

xoxoxoBruce 05-17-2009 06:09 PM

What a difference from this. Yay you. :notworthy

You know, when they're grown and don't call often enough, you'll have a ton of ammo for the guilt trip you lay on them. :haha:

jinx 05-17-2009 07:36 PM

Amazing. :thumbsup:

And they're both adorable.

kerosene 05-17-2009 09:56 PM

Wow! Most excellent. By the way, I am keeping up with your blog. I can't wait to try the sweet wine fish. :thumb:

A slightly off topic question: Do you notice a difference, physiologically, or mentally for yourself being on this diet?

Clodfobble 05-17-2009 10:42 PM

In myself, no. I have lost weight, as I've mentioned, but part of that is also because I am frustrated trying to find things to eat for lunch if I don't have leftovers from the night before, so half the time I end up just not eating. On the other hand, they say the older you are the longer it takes to clear your system--other people's anecdotes seem to indicate I'd need to be on it for a full six months before I saw any possible effects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
And they're both adorable.

Thanks! I'm pretty fond of 'em myself.

Griff 05-18-2009 05:14 AM

Your kids are too cute! Well done Mom.

Clodfobble 05-18-2009 07:33 AM

Did you notice how Minifobette seemed to try to "smile" when I said I was going to take a picture? These are the tiny socializaton cues I am desperately clinging to these days for her. It took her a long time to really fight off her measles shot, but she's finally back to normal poop now for several days in a row, so I'm letting myself be hopeful (not to mention looking forward to weaning her.) She's still borderline, socially, but in the last week or so she's really stepped up the progress again.

Queen of the Ryche 05-18-2009 12:40 PM

Wow Clod. Made me cry. Absolutely amazing. (You, and the progress.) Congrats. Keep up the great work!