The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's bumming your stone today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18359)

Clodfobble 02-26-2014 08:20 AM

Oh yes indeed, it was a decent day but then a giant turd at the end of it. We just filed our taxes on the 24th, and then on the 25th we received one additional form in the mail that we'd forgotten about. Now we have to file an amended return, and it lowers our refund considerably to boot. Bastards.

orthodoc 02-27-2014 10:00 PM

Bad day bad night and fuck it all. Just fuck it. I can't even describe what goes on in our academic health system, I'd get fired or lose my licence. There is no free speech when it comes to countries that pour megabucks into willing hands here. Their citizens don't have to play by any rules.

Fucking fuck. Goddamn. I'll just go home and take my chances.

DanaC 02-28-2014 03:18 AM

Sounds fucking lousy.

My bummer is that yesterday I dropped my iphone face down on the pavement - it bounced out of my coat pocket whilst i was running for a bus. Shattered like crazy paving.

Bugger. I've had this phone for 4 years.

xoxoxoBruce 02-28-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 893533)
Bad day bad night and fuck it all. Just fuck it. I can't even describe what goes on in our academic health system, I'd get fired or lose my licence. There is no free speech when it comes to countries that pour megabucks into willing hands here. Their citizens don't have to play by any rules.

Fucking fuck. Goddamn. I'll just go home and take my chances.

Sounds like you need a whistle. :unsure:

Sundae 03-01-2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 893539)
Sounds fucking lousy.

My bummer is that yesterday I dropped my iphone face down on the pavement - it bounced out of my coat pocket whilst i was running for a bus. Shattered like crazy paving.

Sadness. Did this myself with a very basic phone back in the day.
Basic phones was all there was though, and I had the money to replace it

DanaC 03-01-2014 04:47 AM

That sucks.

Fortunately ,my iphone is still usable. I just have to be very careful with it!

orthodoc 03-01-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 893664)
Sounds like you need a whistle. :unsure:

I doubt it's whistle-worthy, but it pisses me off. It's a sellout that doesn't benefit people here, just the governments and institutions that get paid, and those who take training opportunities from our own grads. While the official line is that they don't take funded positions, there are only so many clinical opportunities to go around. It means that our own grads don't get the quality and depth of training that they should. And honestly, I don't buy the line that no positions are taken from US (or Canadian) grads. The numbers don't add up. Anyway ... it's not a whistle-blowing issue, but it could get me fired so I need to shut up about it.

I didn't mean to even talk about it the other day; I was in a lousy mood after being in pain for two months and finally getting pessimistic about the cause. And I'd had a prolonged incredibly frustrating conversation with a fellow resident about the academic health system situation. I needed to vent in a way that wouldn't get me fired ... which I managed, this weekend, having gone trap shooting. YES! So. Much. Fun. Blasting clay discs into smithereens, very therapeutic.

BigV 03-04-2014 07:29 PM

I haven't heard from the people I've been interviewing with.

I'm very discouraged.

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2014 07:34 PM

Rat fuck, something specific or just a feeling? :(

glatt 03-04-2014 07:50 PM

Sorry V.

footfootfoot 03-07-2014 12:10 PM

When it shits, it pours, should be the name of this thread.

A salad spinner of fuck is what my friend calls it.

Between snow days (= no pay) my being sick (= no pay) an unexpected heating oil bill (holy shit how did we use that much fuel and when did the price get that high? -first winter in the tiny house that uses as much oil as my other house that is 3x as big) The deer and car incident, now the new car has lost a cylinder or worse (I'll find out later today) and then rent and all the regular bills arriving all at once has put into stark relief (cliche) just how tenuous and fucked my position is.

Leaving aside the immediate problem, which although dire in many respects is actually not as serious as the long term problem. Even if I were to suddenly pay all my bills this moment and get my car fixed, it would just get the ship above water but wouldnot address the underlying sinking problem, I'd be back in the same spot in a few months.

The job I've got now was really only meant to be temporary as it pays only $15/hr and only about 6 - 61/2 hours a day when school is in session. No other benefits at all. This is about 25% less than my survival amount.

Luckily, I have a small job coming up that may make me a grand or so, but again, it's not much.

Another aspect to the problem, and one that I am addressing, is having a regular schedule where I see my kids. If I had regualr predictable times when I could see them it would be possible to find additional work that I could schedule around them. Their mom seems to be lying a lot to herself and me about what the kids shrink has to say about this. I've grown tired of catching her out and watching her backpedal and equivocate. I now, pretty much assume that when she is talking she is just saying what she wants the truth to be.

So, I'm gearing up for what will probably only be solved with a legal battle, mainly because she isn't straight and would need to be forced by law to do something. Notice I didn't write forced by law to see she is wrong. The whole world could tell her she was wrong and she'd think they were mistaken. (Remember her mom is the church shopper who visited 150 different churches and couldn't find one of them that preached the proper gospel. The apple doesn't fall far...)

So I see this problem as being

1. I want to see the kids at least half time.
2. I need to get a better paying job > This may include returning to school for a masters degree in education or another BS in Science (chem/ bio/ etc)
3. I need to finalize the divorce and resolve ownership of my house. I'd rather not let it go, but at this point I can't afford it on what I'm earning. I'm not sure if I kept it how I'd keep it afloat while I was in school, and for that matter how I'd keep anything afloat while I was in school.
4. School may not actually be an option, and may not actually lead to more job opportunities for me.
5. I'm sure there's a simple solution that I'm just not seeing.
6. The house is not salable in its current condition. Siding needs to go up, interior trim needs to go up, some drywall and painting, repairs to the boiler and heating system, some more wiring, a final inspection to close the permit, and probably something big I'm missing.
7. I need to get my other rotator cuff fixed. It's been 3 years since my other surgery and the right one hurts like fuck all the time. If I can get it done while I'm still teaching, it would be an easy job while I'm doing my year of re-hab/recovery.

Clodfobble 03-07-2014 03:46 PM

Sorry, man. :(

glatt 03-07-2014 03:48 PM

I wish I had something to offer. Some helpful advice or something.

Sucks. I feel for you.

xoxoxoBruce 03-07-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 894125)
So, I'm gearing up for what will probably only be solved with a legal battle, mainly because she isn't straight and would need to be forced by law to do something.

Don't get your hopes up on this one, I've seen this happen before. Courts can't make anyone do anything, they can only punish people. When she continues to jerk you around you can't call 911 and have them send a squad car to make her behave.

No, you have to get your lawyer to contact the court, set a court date which will get postponed at the last minute by her lawyer... several times. Then in four or five months you'll finally get to the judge, you both give your side of the story. Her side complete with the extenuating circumstances that forced the change of plans, and how difficult life is because you're such a tyrant.

Then the judge gives her a stern warning to follow the court rules in the future, at which point she thanks him for his understanding and promises to do what's best for the children. The judge then tells you to stop being such an inflexible tyrant toward the faithful struggling wife you abandoned.

Preposterous scenario? Not unless NY courts are very different from other state courts. Sorry if I'm dashing your hopes, but it's better to be warned of the worst case of what may come.

BigV 03-07-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 893539)
Sounds fucking lousy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 893667)
That sucks.

Fortunately ,my iphone is still usable. I just have to be very careful with it!

^^^^^ what you say

vvvvv what I see