The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

monster 10-02-2010 07:44 PM

Just "customized" Hector's Goalie helmet in advance of his first game in the net tomorrow. he likes it :D

I'm a little apprehensive. Not about the injury potential so much as what if he actually hates being in goal in a game situation or crumbles under pressure? All signs seem OK so far, but until now, it's always been his team mates shooting on him and no scoreboard......

classicman 10-02-2010 08:02 PM

Go Hector! What a great name for a goalie too...

monster 10-02-2010 09:11 PM

Hector, Hector, net protector.

monster 10-02-2010 09:12 PM

His helmet is navy, his team is Storm, he wanted (and got) green clouds with red lighning bolts. I used self-adhesive holographic paper. veree shinee

Sundae 10-03-2010 08:16 AM

Go Hector!

I'm going into school tomorrow as an extra day.
I was invited in by Mrs M, as tomorrow they need extra help.
Because one of the parents is coming in to cook a Chinese meal for the children. And I get to share it :yum:

This age group has done China as a topic for the last few years, and the meal has always been a success. He has two sons in our school - one of whom I had last year, and I often bump into his (English) wife, who I also know as she came in to read every Friday. I feel like I'm making connections :) And that I'm wanted. Oh and free food always helps.

xoxoxoBruce 10-03-2010 11:24 AM

Have all the ingredients in that meal been certified by the "nutrition police"? I've been reading a lot of stupid stories about the authorities in Britain, and the US, meddling is school lunches/snacks.

Sundae 10-03-2010 11:53 AM

Once a year we have a "Healthy Lunchbox Day" where lunchboxes are actually examined and judged.
Given that this is well-advertised beforehand, and parents reminded twice, I do wonder about some parents' choices... But 75% in our school seem to have pretty healthy lunches - I was surprised to hear in conversation about children having pasta, couscous, pitta bread, wraps, tuna salad etc.

I think it only becomes an issue in schools were parents either don't know or don't care. Packing your kid off with a prepacked high saturated fat, high salt snack as their main meal of the day is poor parenting.

Bear in mind that many articles regarding "meddling" in school meals are almost always from the right wing press pursuing a "nanny state" agenda. One such paper gave a "Hero of the Year" award to mothers who threw burgers and chips (fries) meals over the fence to children "forced" to eat Jamie Oliver's nutritionally balanced meals. What heroes, eh! Given that they were on free school meals anyway.

All I can say experience-wise is that our school's only hard and fast rule is water or fruitjuice only with lunch. No fizzy drinks. And once a year children's lunchboxes are monitored, and as I said above it is with plenty of notice.

So we've made and eaten cakes and biscuits in class, the children get a pizza making lesson in Pizza Express (and eat their creations) and all that and everything. I doubt Mr C will be using too much oil or MSG. It's about balance.

Nirvana 10-06-2010 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my stained glass clock today ...

classicman 10-06-2010 10:03 PM

Very nice.

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2010 10:46 PM

Cool, Nirvana, custom made I assume.

Spexxvet 10-08-2010 12:56 PM

The Flyers are undefeated!

classicman 10-08-2010 03:51 PM

So are the Phillies!

classicman 10-08-2010 03:52 PM

And the Sixers.... HAHAHAH

casimendocina 10-10-2010 06:01 AM

Today was a beautiful sunshiny day, so in the morning I went to the pool and did a few laps, then tried out the steam room-fantastic-I feel like I can breathe again. Then, about an hour before the sun set, I got on my bike for the first time in months and rode across town and back (about 20 kms) and loved pretty much every second of it. Tomorrow, I WILL be riding to work. :)

elSicomoro 10-10-2010 12:14 PM

Well, I'm not exactly happy per se...but I am in a state of peace? I don't know...I'm in a decent mood and feeling good, so...there.

The leg is healing nicely...to those that wondered, yes...I fell off the toilet while taking a shit. I am now a legend in certain circles. I've been in a walking boot for 2 weeks and have to wear it 3 more.

The divorce is still on, but there really isn't a whole lot I can do on that front until I'm back in St. Louis, which might finally happen next week. I need to get home, get my stuff, get my own place and just knock it out. I'm already moving forward.

I've gone through a lot of rejection in my life, but from here on out, though it will still suck, I should be able to handle it better. I've faced the ultimate rejection now...the person I planned on spending forever with told me it wasn't happening. So any rejection from here on out should be Puppy Chow.

Work has been fulfilling, and I am hopeful that these guys will offer me a permanent position in St. Louis when I get back. If not, someone else will. I've made my mark here, and have the praises to prove it.

I dunno...I'm just feeling good about things in general. Can't complain.