The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

BigV 11-19-2011 10:58 PM

Mount Washington hike today. Excellent conditions, lovely country. Very tired. Pictures coming soon.

Aliantha 11-19-2011 11:02 PM

I went to a party last night with some good friends and had a really fun time, then today we had a visit from some more friends that we haven't seen in ages.

It's been a really great weekend. :)

Sundae 11-20-2011 11:50 AM

Another £28 in the kitty from a day at work.
It's growing very slowly though, thats to the DWP claiming back over £30 in overpaid benefits from February. I'm lucky they're not charging me interest I suppose.

Saw two children from school - spooked them too by the look of things - and a teacher and the school secretary. It's nice being recognised outside school.
It also went quicker today, and I feel much more confident.

Lamplighter 11-21-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 762208)
Today is my grandson's first day of real employment in a fish hatchery (Lake Merwin, WA).
He's still in the last year of the Fisheries training program at a local community college,
and he'll go for full time employment in the summer.

I'm a bit concerned that he is taking on too much this semester...
14 credit hours + 2 days per week at the hatchery + 1 day per week
at the plant nursery where he's been part time for the past year.

<snip>

FWIW here's a mid-term update...

Much to my amazement, Sam has not missed a day of work
and has been keeping up with his classes. It has been a real strain on him.
When he has a day off, he crashes, and lights out at 9 most nights.
Lots of grumpy, tired, late-for-dinner days, but so far, he is keeping up.

On top of all that, he has started his "field work" project.
This is an ongoing stream survey of "pre-spawning mortality of Coho salmon in urban streams".
This project is not so much doing new research as it is to learn how to do research.
Yesterday, he found 1 male and 1 female that died before spawning.
The project requiring about 3 more hrs of his time each week.

Here's a description of the pre-spawn mortality issue:

Acute die-offs of adult coho salmon 
returning to spawn in restored urban streams
Quote:

Beginning in the late 1990s, several agencies in the greater Seattle area began
conducting fall spawner surveys to evaluate the effectiveness of local salmon habitat restoration efforts.
These surveys detected a surprisingly high rate of mortality among migratory coho females
that were still ocean bright and had not yet spawned.

Pre-spawn mortality (PSM) has been observed in many lowland
urban streams that have been surveyed to date, with overall rates that generally
range from ~ 20% to 90% of the fall runs.
By comparison, the rate of die-offs in non-urban (e.g., forested) drainages appears to be low.
The precise cause of PSM is not known. However, at present,
the weight of evidence suggests that the widespread coho die-offs
are a consequence of non-point source water pollution.

Sundae 11-21-2011 12:09 PM

Lamp that's wonderful.
Sounds like he just needed time and the right motivation to get himself together, and when he did, he was able to take on more than you hoped.
Good for him.

Tiger has a new speech therapist.
Yay.
Been waiting since beginning of September.
First meeting today went well.

AND he stayed overnight at a friend's on Friday night.
The two other boys changed their minds and went home, but Tiger slept there and had breakfast.

He had tea at home, and bath, and completed his routines. Then went over at 19.00.
K's garden backs onto his and of course Mum is a family friend and is aware that Tiger has Asperger's.
But it's a HUGE step for him. For many five year olds, let alone those on the autism spectrum. The Tiger confounds us again.

ZenGum 11-22-2011 01:15 AM

Numbers.

Yep, see here, I'm comparing this 17.4 to this 17.2. Same same.
And I'm comparing this 14.4 to this 14.5. Same same.
But then I'm really comparing this 14.1 to this 11.6. Different! That's a mother#$%^ing finding baby, exactly what I was hoping to find.

Although the fact that I did actually :jig: in the office when the computer spat that out makes me wonder if my life hasn't gone horribly wrong somewhere. :D

The other downside is that the whole group has 102 people in it, and the finding is based on a subgroup of just nine. I'm going to have to talk with a colleague to see if that is statistically significant and/or reliable. I have grave doubts.

footfootfoot 11-22-2011 09:46 AM

are those percentages of the group of 102 or decimated people?

BigV 11-22-2011 02:30 PM

Your excitement has led you to have grave doubts? You must be positively enraptured.

infinite monkey 11-23-2011 08:13 AM

My niece (can she really be 11 already?) has her own (parent-sanctioned) email now, and sometimes I come in for work to an email from her. Even her emails are cute!

In case you didn't know, this is a monkey face: (sorry, sad smilie trumps monkey face)...you put a colon, parenthesis, small L, close parenthesis. Here's a wide monkey... : ( l )

She made sure to explain to me I have to look at it sideways.

:lol:

DucksNuts 11-24-2011 11:27 PM

I got the job I wanted!!!!! Woooot!

As mentioned in the other thread, I recently moved further North again and in turn left a very good job with a very good career path.

I moved because my Mum was going to move to be where ever I was and I didnt want to relocate her to an area where I wasnt 100% happy and would likely leave anyway.

So I relocated both of us to Queensland, I had a job offer for a job I was really "meh" about as the hours didnt really suit and I wasnt overly happy with the business, but I was hoping this job would come through because its a big company with a lovely high ladder I can climb as the kids get older and I can work more hours.

My official uniform will be a red shirt and a pair of demin shorts with workboots (I will have to find some stylish ones with heels) and you may see me with a hammer or screwdriver hanging off my belt.

YAY.

Trilby 11-25-2011 06:09 AM

Congratulations Ducks!

Griff 11-25-2011 06:28 AM

Excellent DN!

limey 11-25-2011 06:34 AM

Well done Ducks. I expect the guys will want pics of you in your uniform!

monster 11-25-2011 10:03 AM

hurrah!

zippyt 11-25-2011 12:45 PM

Congrats Dux !!!
Heres some girly work boots for ya