The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

glatt 05-21-2015 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 929066)
I don't want to put it here because I don't want this thread to be particularly google-able

U R SMRT

The last thing you need is to to have book readers come here and hound you, and then you would stop coming around, and we'd miss you.

classicman 05-21-2015 09:25 PM

yay! Good point Clod, I can relate - I still get a little extra touchy about TBI's ...

DanaC 05-22-2015 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 929074)
U R SMRT

The last thing you need is to to have book readers come here and hound you, and then you would stop coming around, and we'd have to send out a hit squad to get rid of them.

Clodfobble 06-02-2015 03:01 PM

From ScienceDaily:

Missing Link Found Between Brain and Immune System

Quote:

In a stunning discovery that overturns decades of textbook teaching, researchers have determined that the brain is directly connected to the immune system by vessels previously thought not to exist.
Quote:

Kevin Lee, PhD, chairman of the UVA Department of Neuroscience, described his reaction to the discovery by Kipnis' lab: "The first time these guys showed me the basic result, I just said one sentence: 'They'll have to change the textbooks.' There has never been a lymphatic system for the central nervous system, and it was very clear from that first singular observation -- and they've done many studies since then to bolster the finding -- that it will fundamentally change the way people look at the central nervous system's relationship with the immune system."
Quote:

The unexpected presence of the lymphatic vessels raises a tremendous number of questions that now need answers, both about the workings of the brain and the diseases that plague it. For example, take Alzheimer's disease. "In Alzheimer's, there are accumulations of big protein chunks in the brain," Kipnis said. "We think they may be accumulating in the brain because they're not being efficiently removed by these vessels." He noted that the vessels look different with age, so the role they play in aging is another avenue to explore. And there's an enormous array of other neurological diseases, from autism to multiple sclerosis, that must be reconsidered in light of the presence of something science insisted did not exist.

glatt 06-02-2015 03:06 PM

How is it possible that "they" missed these vessels before? Surely during the millions of surgeries and autopsies and imaging done over the centuries somebody would have noticed this lymphatic connection?

Gravdigr 06-02-2015 03:33 PM

Didn't 'they' recently find some 'new' bones, too?

Happy Monkey 06-04-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScienceDaily.com
As to how the brain's lymphatic vessels managed to escape notice all this time, Kipnis described them as "very well hidden" and noted that they follow a major blood vessel down into the sinuses, an area difficult to image. "It's so close to the blood vessel, you just miss it," he said. "If you don't know what you're after, you just miss it."

Clodfobble 06-05-2015 06:44 AM

In other news, I have a phone call with an interested publisher this morning...

Undertoad 06-05-2015 06:45 AM

Happening fast, real interest, go go gadget writer!

Clodfobble 06-18-2015 11:04 AM

I just realized I never mentioned this, but a couple months ago we got asked to be part of a documentary on autism recovery. They came and filmed at the house for two days, and got permission to shoot at the kids' school, and everything. The movie itself won't be ready until who-knows-when (it was two years between when the filmmaker first contacted me and when he actually got out here to film, so really, don't hold your breaths,) but along the way the guy is putting together little previews of each family that's been interviewed. He just sent me a link to our clip:

In other news... I officially have a book deal. :) To be released by Da Capo Press in the Spring of 2016.

DanaC 06-18-2015 11:59 AM

Wow, Clod. I don't know why, because I like the others here have shared in your trials and successes with your little ones, through your posts -but I felt really choked up watching that.

You guys are awesome. you must be so proud of your kids - they really are gorgeous.

And congrats on the book deal. I cannot think of a nicer person or one more deserving of success.

glatt 06-18-2015 12:40 PM

That's pretty cool! Nice to see you and Mr. Fobble.

We've read the progression over time and your descriptions, but to see the video before and after clips right next to each other is pretty impressive. And that stack of notebooks!

Undertoad 06-18-2015 12:54 PM

They ARE gorgeous and you guys ARE awesome. Well done.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2015 01:10 PM

I saw that, I saw the strawberries touching other stuff. :yesnod:

Clodfobble 06-18-2015 02:42 PM

Thanks, everyone. Your support has meant the world over the years. They will almost certainly send me on a book tour at some point, and I intend to visit as many Dwellar cities as I possibly can. I want a photo with every damn one of you!