The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Ibby 03-31-2009 12:50 PM

got accepted to EMERSON COLLEGE, and as a theatre arts non-performing focus major too. WOOHOO!

ps. tiki, that quote is on my facebook quotes too. LOVE it.

sweetwater 03-31-2009 01:15 PM

The weather has warmed up enough that the water snakes* are out. I took photos of a largish one yesterday, then last night was given a new camera (Canon Rebel) to practice with before our trip to Paris, FR in May.
*mostly harmless, but all fascinate me when I see them swimming.

Tiki 03-31-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 551583)
got accepted to EMERSON COLLEGE, and as a theatre arts non-performing focus major too. WOOHOO!

ps. tiki, that quote is on my facebook quotes too. LOVE it.

Congratulations! That's awesome!

I LOLed hard when I saw the quote, and then I even had to look it up again and read it to a couple of friends, who also found it quite pleasing. :)

TheMercenary 03-31-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetwater (Post 551597)
The weather has warmed up enough that the water snakes* are out. I took photos of a largish one yesterday, then last night was given a new camera (Canon Rebel) to practice with before our trip to Paris, FR in May.
*mostly harmless, but all fascinate me when I see them swimming.

Post a pic in the pic thread. I love the wild snakes around my place. Even the nasty ones.

SteveDallas 03-31-2009 09:10 PM

I had my "last" filling this morning. I have now atoned in full for a dozen-odd years of dental hygiene neglect.

Now I don't have to see the dentist again for another 12 years . . . .

glatt 04-01-2009 09:05 AM

Holy crap. A vendor just stopped by with 22 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. That's a lot of cookies. I'll probably keep a couple for myself and then hand the rest out around the department, but the logistics of passing these out are a little bit of a hassle now.

Shawnee123 04-01-2009 09:07 AM

I got out of my old job in time. I keep hearing from old friends about the goings-on at my old job. That place has become the first stop for Armageddon. I mean, I can't divulge what's going on but every week there's a new WTF coming down the pike.

So, even with the things I'm having trouble adjusting to here, I am so glad and lucky I got out when I did.

I still thank my Cellar friends for giving me the confidence to make that very difficult move.

Shawnee123 04-03-2009 11:38 AM

Today: Friends who reach out to me, knowing me well enough to know it will help, and understanding me well enough to know that showing they care is really all I need.

I'm so very grateful for them.

Tiki 04-03-2009 11:42 AM

My bookkeeper just brought back my books for 2009, finished, with a handy-dandy form for filling out my tax forms. :)

Now all I have to do is add up my medical expenses and I'm ready to file my taxes, yay!

Pie 04-03-2009 01:11 PM

Shamelessly stolen from The Blue:
Quote:

The Iowa Supreme Court has just unanimously declared the state's ban on gay marriage to be unconstitutional. "The decision strikes the language from Iowa Code section 595.2 limiting civil marriage to a man and a woman. It further directs that the remaining statutory language be interpreted and applied in a manner allowing gay and lesbian people full access to the institution of civil marriage." (full summary PDF) The ruling effectively legalizes same-sex marriage in the state of Iowa.

...And in the comments:
Temporary, maybe. But in order to amend the Iowa constitution, the amendment needs to be passed by the Iowa house and senate twice in two consecutive sessions. Then it goes to a referendum. This isn't California. And apparently they're not even going to have a vote this session at all.

So the earliest people would even be able to vote on an amendment is probably 2012, at which point people would be less likely to vote for an amendment to ban gay marriage.

Oh and I should add that the Iowa house and senate are dem controlled.

Go Hawkeyes!

classicman 04-03-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

So the earliest people would even be able to vote on an amendment is probably 2012, at which point people would be less likely to vote for an amendment to ban gay marriage.
I read that twice and totally disagreed - Can't these people write clearer? Isn't that like all they do? Its another version of the double negative.

Oh and what Pie said.

Pie 04-03-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 552628)
Can't these people write clearer? Isn't that like all they do?

It was some random dude commenting on the thread. Not the reporter.

BigV 04-05-2009 02:15 AM

I am done sewing for the night.

That makes me happy.

Good night.

DucksNuts 04-05-2009 05:26 AM

Over the last 2 days I installed (on my ownsome) a 6'2" set of double gates at the end of the carport.

This will stop my bitch of a neighbour complaining about Clyde being out (when someone opens the front gate) and provide some additional security.

Only have a 4yr old and 6yr old as helpers, I have learnt to use props quite successfully.

Yay Me!! but owwwwww my aching shoulders from crowbarring.

DanaC 04-05-2009 06:22 AM

Wow, well done, Ducks! Colour me highly impressed.