The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

orthodoc 10-11-2012 06:43 AM

What UT said but apply it to most of Canada. Part of the Canadian identity is a deep-rooted, taught-in-school-and-home hatred of Americans. We grow up learning from our teachers and parents that Americans are a bunch of greedy, crazy, gun-toting, arbitrarily violent sociopaths who want nothing more than to shoot you in the face and go all Deliverance on you should you be so unwise as to stop for coffee at a rest stop along the interstate. Oh, and they throw their loved ones into the street to die because no one here gets health care. Of any kind. At all.

And don't even think you'd be welcome as an immigrant from the US, not unless you meet specific criteria that government officials have decided. Are you skilled? Hard working, looking for a job? Able to hit the ground running and contribute to the economy and the society? Back o' the line, Bub. We don't want your sort here!

As long as you're a tourist, though, Canadians will play nice and be more than happy to take your money. It's all good as long as you don't delude yourself that they actually like you.

Let's just say that Canadian attitudes, and Canadian immigration policy, are not what Americans imagine.

BigV 10-11-2012 10:52 AM

What's making me happy today?

Lying in bed with Twil, snuggling and cuddling, spooning and forking. mmmmmm...

infinite monkey 10-11-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 833719)
Move to Windsor, Ontario, infi, we could do lunch......

That's where all the teenyboppers from around here used to trek to get boozed up.

There was a recent job offer at a school near you, but you didn't build a room on for me so I didn't take the job. :sniff:

infinite monkey 10-11-2012 11:26 AM

Oh, and :vomit:

DanaC 10-11-2012 03:30 PM

This is kind of related to a post in the unhappy thread...

Carrot is really liking his hydrotherapy sessions. And he lurves Rhona the hydro vet. Really, lurves her. Within five minutes of meeting her he was eating out of her hand doing anything she asked him to do lol.

This makes me happy. Because I'm gonna have to take him twice weekly for a few weeks and then probably weekly for a few more. So, I am really, really happy that I am not going to have to drag him, protesting, through the door every time. I don't have to feel bad about inflicting medical stuff on him having got him into the car all jolly and expecting fun and frolics.

Not sure what he'll make of the acupuncture mind...still, we can burn that bridge when we come to it eh? For tonight, I am just happy that this thing he has to do so regularly is something that he enjoys.

infinite monkey 10-16-2012 11:27 AM

I am happy right now, in this moment, because sometimes when I reach out I get what I need.

I'm happy because I realize I am cared about more than I let myself know.

Thanks, friend.

BigV 10-16-2012 09:49 PM

thanks, friend of a friend.

:)

Lamplighter 10-16-2012 10:09 PM

This season's table grapes

I'm too lazy to find an appropriate thread in Food and Drink...

But I hope people are taking advantage of this season's crop of table grapes.

We (PDX) are getting both green and red table grapes like I've never seen or tasted before.

They are huge and firm and sweet. The greens are seedless; the reds have fewer seeds.

Grape horticulture has reached a new high standard this year.

DanaC 10-19-2012 10:31 AM

I was going to stay on campus after my weekly office hour (post grad tutor's office, each have it for an hour a week so students can drop in) to do some marking, but changed my mind. I'm off down to my bro's this evening to see Amelia (she's back from uni for the first time since term started :P) and won;t be taking Carrotchops with me. Seemed unfair to leave him for the evening after hardly seeing him all day.

So, came home on the train, met Ma and Carrot at the station and she dropped us both at my house. And then Carrot and I had the longest cuddle. He was all floppy and tired puppeh and licked my ear in sheer joy that I was home.

I'm so pleased with him. I know he has some horrid physical problems to deal with, but I couldn't have asked for a better temperament. He's so sweet. Everyone he says hello to seems utterly charmed by him.

glatt 10-19-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 834937)
I'm so pleased with him.

:)

Griff 10-20-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 834937)
And then Carrot and I had the longest cuddle. He was all floppy and tired puppeh and licked my ear in sheer joy that I was home.

I'm so pleased with him. I know he has some horrid physical problems to deal with, but I couldn't have asked for a better temperament. He's so sweet. Everyone he says hello to seems utterly charmed by him.

Puppies can charm. :) Benny handled a little goat work this morning very nicely. I saw this this morning about doggies.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

DanaC 10-20-2012 08:21 AM

Oh! That was marvellous. I laughed so much.

orthodoc 10-20-2012 01:20 PM

I love that. It's so true! :lol:

xoxoxoBruce 10-22-2012 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 835057)
Puppies can charm. :) Benny handled a little goat work this morning very nicely.

Dogs are very handy in your neck of the woods.

Griff 10-22-2012 05:42 PM

I had a plott hound mix years ago who really would've enjoyed that scene. Merlin might have a go but Benny may have a self-preservation gene, although with his smarts he might build a primitive projectile launcher and drive him off.