The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

chrisinhouston 04-25-2013 03:09 PM

SOLD to the man with the heavy African accent for $30!

Not bad as I think it is going to need a carburetor rebuild kit and he was very polite and had when we loaded it into the trunk of his little car he had all kinds of religious hand outs so he was a MAN OF GOD! Cutting him a break was good karma and if the lawn mower isn't repairable I will need the extra karma! ;)

monster 04-25-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 862492)
I'm super-happy with my size 16 jeans. I wore 22 for over a year.
I'll never get down to a size 8. No envy because of the health issues.

My aim is 14.

way to piss on my happy.tx. Must remember there are people fatter than me in Europe (with health issues) and send them my empty plate...[/dirtydancing]

monster 04-25-2013 09:52 PM

yes, I know. But can't something big or even small just be about someone else just once?

xoxoxoBruce 04-26-2013 12:10 AM

With your regimen, practicing and running the kids around, you'd get skinny from not having time to eat. The way you've been beating yourself up, it's a wonder you aren't in a size 8 body bag. I admire your resilience. :vikingsmi

Aliantha 04-26-2013 03:23 AM

I think being a discussion board, most people are going to add their experiences to those expressed here.

Pretty sure everyone has at some point or another, had it 'all about me'.

Do you need more acknowledgement for your accomplishments monster? I thought everyone here had been very supportive of your recent journey and quite vociferous in their encouragement. Not sure why other people saying something about their own size is in some way offensive to you.

Maybe you're just having a bad day or something?

DanaC 04-26-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 862684)
yes, I know. But can't something big or even small just be about someone else just once?

That's a shitty thing to say. As was your previous comment.

My God all the girl did was join in with the discussion. Sorry she broke some unwritten rules on when it is or is not ok to join in with her own experiences, ye know, like we all do.

Don't see how Sundae's comment shits on your happy. Don't see how it impacts at all on the direction of the thread. It's fairly standard in here when you post about something and another dwellar has something to say in that area that they post about it.

I don't think you would have made those remarks had someone else jumped in with their weightloss experience. You just said it because it was Sundae. And you clearly have a problem with her. I don't mean you wish her ill, and I know you care what happens to her. But you seem to hold her to an entirely different set of standards to everyone else and respond to her accordingly.

Sundae 04-26-2013 05:39 AM

Can't remember if I told you.
If so, ignore.

Dads got charged for the outsanding amount left on his annual car insurance.
Mum took the phone call and was at her wit's end by the time she gave them credit card detail. Approx £170. Because Dad was "breaking his contract" with them.

NO.
I said.
NO.
You cannot ask for money when a man cannot use your services due to ill health. He had to surrender his driving licence and sell his car. The AA could not, in all conscience, ask him to continue to pay for car insurance he no longer needed.

So I drafted a letter. Mum tweaked it.
Mailed and including a line asking for a response within 10 days (as the threatening letter from the AA Repayments had done.)

Reply received. Apologies. Staff member was following company guidelines but should have referred this to Manager. Sorry for distress caused at time of personal crisis. Refund of money taken by credit card to follow. Cheque. Hmmmm. They refused a cheque as payment...

I still think Mum should have kept in my line regarding compensation for the distress caused. Doubt they'd have got anything, but if you don't ask you don't get.

Anyway, Mum was made up. She had no idea that this was erroneous, just saw it as part of the buggery of life. When the letter arrived she was out. She read it on her return and asked Dad if he'd shown it to me. "Why? It's nothing to do with her." Well, I didn't do it for the props anyway.

And it means the 'rents can go and see the John Wilson Orchestra in Cardiff again - something they thought they would have to miss. They'll stay in the E-Tap I introduced Mum to. £18.50 per night, per room. Nowhere near as nice as Ty Rosa, but closer to the centre and the place of performance, and a great budget deal.

And they'll go by MegaBus. No choice given they have no car, but it's actually much cheaper. I feel I have led them well.

glatt 04-26-2013 07:20 AM

That's outstanding Sundae! Very well done. £170 is real money.

Sundae 04-26-2013 08:51 AM

Thanks for the removal :)

chrisinhouston 04-26-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 862704)
And they'll go by MegaBus. No choice given they have no car, but it's actually much cheaper.

Houston has lousy public transportation, if you have no car you are hosed. We live 25 miles away from the downtown area and our suburban neighborhood only has morning and evening bus service that is direct... no stops between here and downtown. From there you would have to transfer and take more buses or the little train that runs from downtown to the medical center. We can't even take public transportation to either airport, just taxi cabs.

Sundae 04-26-2013 08:55 AM

When my ship comes in and I take Dana and Limey to the States with me, Limey is our designated driver.
We'll cab it most of the time. And longer journeys will be plane or rail (OMG I covet your long distance rail services!)

But I expect - and you have confirmed - that there are places in the US that you really need a car for.
It's true in the UK too, but for different reasons.

Clodfobble 04-26-2013 08:55 PM

Good for you for getting your dad's money back, Sundae. Maybe patient advocacy is your new calling?

Ocean's Edge 04-27-2013 12:51 PM

Needs a like button - well done Sundae :)

DanaC 04-27-2013 03:37 PM

If we had a like button, I'd have to like your post about having a like button...

richlevy 04-27-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 862726)
When my ship comes in and I take Dana and Limey to the States with me, Limey is our designated driver.
We'll cab it most of the time. And longer journeys will be plane or rail (OMG I covet your long distance rail services!)

But I expect - and you have confirmed - that there are places in the US that you really need a car for.
It's true in the UK too, but for different reasons.

If you make it to Philadelphia (Cellarland) you guys can couch surf in my basement. Just ignore the wooden stocks and pillories. I only use them to hang laundry.;)

....kidding.

....or am I?:eek: